Optical Output Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Default Optical Output Question

Ive never hooked anything up with an optical connection before, I have a Panasonic TV with optical out and a Comcast DVR box with optical out, I connected them and get no sound, is their a setup in the comcast box I need to change, or can I only hook anything with optical up with a receiver, thanks in advance

As of right now im connected via component and rca for sound
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM

you can't hook up two outputs together. One has to be an input, like a receiver. If you have a receiver, your component cables would go from your cable box to your TV and then you could use the optical output on the cable box and plug into your receiver. The optical out on the TV would be used if you connected your cable directly into your TV instead of your cable box. Then the optical signal would be outputted from the TV into a receiver.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
you can't hook up two outputs together. One has to be an input, like a receiver. If you have a receiver, your component cables would go from your cable box to your TV and then you could use the optical output on the cable box and plug into your receiver. The optical out on the TV would be used if you connected your cable directly into your TV instead of your cable box. Then the optical signal would be outputted from the TV into a receiver.
Yeah being they were both outputs like you said thats what I was thinking, thanks for responding....
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM

optical to your receiver
Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 PM

sort of similar but slightly different question about optical connections:

if i have my HD-A3 running via HDMI to my sony bravia tv, could i then go optical out from the tv to a receiver and get 5.1 surround? i'm wondering if the interim stop at the tv would affect this. ik i could just run optical from the HD-A3 to my receiver, but i have several things hooked up to my tv via hdmi, some 5.1 some not, and if i could just go optical from the tv to the receiver, i could leave the receiver on the same input for all of them.

i hope that makes sense.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcma View Post
sort of similar but slightly different question about optical connections:

if i have my HD-A3 running via HDMI to my sony bravia tv, could i then go optical out from the tv to a receiver and get 5.1 surround? i'm wondering if the interim stop at the tv would affect this. ik i could just run optical from the HD-A3 to my receiver, but i have several things hooked up to my tv via hdmi, some 5.1 some not, and if i could just go optical from the tv to the receiver, i could leave the receiver on the same input for all of them.

i hope that makes sense.
Optical from TV to receiver is stereo only because it cannot pass HDMI audio to the Optical directly. Plug your HD DVD to your receiver directly as it's the only way to get 5.1 from optical unless you are watching over the air HD programming.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 AM

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks, though.