Receiver/Surround Sound - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Receiver/Surround Sound

Hey everybody, I'm a long time reader first time poster and need some help in the home / surround sound area.

I currently own these speakers: http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...ductId=1001250

and I want to get a surround sound hook up. I've been doing some research on my own and have discovered that I need a receiver. I've been trying to read up on receivers and educate myself in this area but I still have a lot to learn. Can someone shed some light on this topic. I have been told that I want 5.1 not 6.1 or 7.1 because they are not supported, and that all I would need is a receiver if I already have those speakers. Is this true? How is the quality of the speakers I already own and will they do? Also could someone make a recommendations of a good beginners receiver/equipment or whatever I need?

I was also wondering if it would be possible to hook up a PS3, dvd-player(it upscales + holds 5 disc) and TV all the same time to a receiver

Thanks for your time and responses!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

Most receivers these days are 7.1 but it doesn't matter because you can operate them on 5.1 with no problem.

A receiver decision is somewhat personal. What sort of set up do you have, how many components, do you need HDMI, etc.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Well my TV uses components to hook up to cable box, and my PS3 uses and HDMI to my TV, although I heard it is better to use an optical audio cable to hook up your PS3 to the receiver. I understand how it may be personal but there are so many receivers and they all look the same to me either silver or black. Is there anyone you can recommend thats of good quality/reliable?
thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the better receiver brands are Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and Onkyo (although this is by no means a complete list). Have a look at the Onkyo 674 - it will provide LPCM over HDMI on your PS3 so will give you a bit of future proofing. However, depends on your budget more than anything.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Yeah, the PS3 over optical will not give you multi-channel LPCM audio, but you will get it over HDMI. I don't have an HDMI receiver so I am limited to DTS and Dolby Digital and 2-channel PCM audio only. You probably do want HDMI switching for audio and video.

If you have about $1000 to spend, the Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS offers HDMI switching and Faroudja upscaling to HDMI for non-highdef sources (which is a great feature). It also offers MCACC automatic room calibration, XM-ready, iPod interface and many other features. The VSX-81TXV is about $200 cheaper (just under a grand) and does upscale to HDMI but it is not the Faroudja scaler, it is a cheaper scaler.

You're probably looking in the below $500 range though. Tejstar suggested the Onkyo, and while I haven't had experience with Onkyo (ask about Lexicon, that's more my territory), their reputation is good and the specs on that model look pretty killer (for price). The power is limited, but the speakers you have will have more than enough power. I'm not sure if you'll be able to connect the subwoofer though (most HTIB subs have a proprietary cable).
Old 02-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
But if I use HDMI as my audio source for my PS3 that would mean I would have to use high-end components for my video source to hook it up to T.V,right?? A good quality HDMI cable is way less expensive then high-end components cable.

Also im reading a lot about HDMI 1.3. Whats the deal with this will the difference between the current HDMI version and 1.3 be really significant? When do you suspect the HDMI 1.3 receivers to come out and how much will they debut at price wise?

One last thing before I end the post. I have been looking at other receivers that are lower in the price range and I came across this one:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4135945

It has 3 HDMI ports and I could get it as low as 348 shipped. Your thoughts please?
Thanks

EDIT:
The speakers I currently have accept 143 watts Total 1000W (143W x 5 + 285W) and 285 is the sub i am guessing. The harman kardon avr245 will only do 65 x2 or 50x7 channels is that a bad thing that my speakers will be getting less than half of the wattage they can handle?

Last edited by stallion; 02-07-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM

That H/K Reciever is 2in/1out for HDMI. Also that one will not accept audio via HDMI. It just passes it through to the TV. Here's a link to the H/K site:
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...%20245&stype=S

In the FAQs it states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by H/K Site
Question: I've connected the HDMIô output on my DVD player, set-top box or other source device to one of the receiver's HDMI inputs, and I've connected the receiver's HDMI output to an input on my video display or TV. Although I am able to see the picture on the display and I can hear audio through the TV's speakers, why can't I hear any audio through the speakers connected to the receiver, even when I disable the TV's speakers?

Answer: Your receiver is capable of switching HDMI signals, but it cannot access the data and process it. Thus, the receiver is passing the audio and video information through to your video display without processing it in any way.

In order to benefit from the receiver's superior audio reproduction capabilities, make a separate digital audio connection from either the coaxial or optical digital audio output on your source device to the corresponding digital audio input on the receiver. Then adjust the audio input setting in the receiver's on-screen menu system (usually found in the Input Setup or In/Out Setup submenu) to assign the correct audio input to your source.
Which is the reason I bowed out of the reciever. I don't know if the Onkyo 604 does either. I'm sure someone will say other wise.

Last edited by Ohgami; 02-07-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Ok, so what your saying is your TV gets connected to the receiver audio/video and the HDMI cable from the PS3 connects to the receiver which gives the receiver the audio signal and the video signal to the TV? If thats correct it makes sense to me now. Also where does the cable box connect to? The receiver or TV still?

I have two more receivers that im interested in but im not sure if they have the audio through receiver or not via HDMI. Can someone look these over and give me their opinions? Thanks

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...ductId=1002531

I noticed the yamaha puts out more wattage to the speakers, and they both had HDMI ports but I can't tell if they accept the HDMI signal or pass it through the TV
Thanks

Last edited by stallion; 02-07-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

All of your video sources should connect to your receiver. You should have one HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. The receiver you want will accept audio over HDMI.

In this case you will have your cable box attached to the receiver with component video and digital audio cables and the PS3 attached with an HDMI. You will select which source you want and it will output the video through and HDMI to the TV and the audio out through the speakers.

If you do audio through HDMI you don't have to upgrade your speakers at all. You can use a cheap (as low as $3 from monoprice.com) HDMI cable because it's digital. HDMI 1.3 will pass Deep Color (you won't have a deep color TV because there are non on the market yet) and the next gen audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS HD MA, etc). You don't have to worry about this because your PS3 will convert the codec to LPCM output through the HDMI cable (but not through Toslink).
Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Those receivers (Sony and Yamaha) also don't do audio over HDMI.