Any thought or experience with the Denon AVR-4308CI? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Question Any thought or experience with the Denon AVR-4308CI?

If I find out the Lexicon MV-5 cannot be upgraded to HDMI 1.3 then I will seriously consider this piece as a pre-amp only.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Banned

The Lexicon won't be upgraded. There's no need though considering you'll still get 8 channel PCM audio and Deep Color doesn't exist.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
The Lexicon won't be upgraded. There's no need though considering you'll still get 8 channel PCM audio and Deep Color doesn't exist.
Glocks. You seem to know your stuff and I have appreciated your opinion in the past. If you were me what would you buy? I want somethig that will decode the next gen audio codecs. Also want to have second zone with RF remote capability. My big thing with Lexicon is that they are the only pre-amp that I have ever heard that could take a 2 channel source (using Logic 7) and play it back in 7 channel and actually sound really good (not like some Yamaha DSPs), that is the thing I cannot look past with Lexicon. Obviously with this Denon I would be saving money and it probably has quite a few features that the Lexicon does not have.

Furthermore, will I need to upgrade my HD DVD player (XA2) to play back the master audio codecs? Does the XA2 have HDMI 1.3 and would it pass them that way or via the analog outs?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Lexicon, and most high-end equipment for that matter, is short on features but big on quality. The Lexicon amplifiers are industry standard for theater amplifiers. The Logic7 processing is also really cool. It even makes 5.1 sound better because it makes the soundstage more cohesive across all channels.

I don't know of many HD DVDs with DTS-HD MA, it seems like HD DVD has for the most part chosen to go with Dolby TrueHD. I know there are a few that are DTS-HD, but not many. I don't think any of the HD DVD players support DTS-HD, but they all support TrueHD. This means you won't have a problem decoding most of the HD DVD tracks on the player and sending it to the Lexicon over HDMI as PCM audio.

With Blu-ray you do have a bunch of DTS-HD movies, mostly from Fox, so you would want to find a player that decodes on-board. I think the PS3 is going to support DTS-HD:MA in the future, but it's not promised. Off the top of my head I can't remember which ones support DTS-HD on-board.

But don't get me wrong, Denon is also a great company. I wouldn't dissuade you from getting the Denon, in fact it may just fit your needs more. I simply don't have any personal experience setting up Denon.

One feature I appreciate with the 2nd zone on Lexicon is the processor will decode digital audio and send a 2-channel analog audio out. I don't know if the Denon does this.

What you do get with the Denon is that it decodes the advanced formats. Like I said with HD DVD you don't have to worry so much, but with Blu-ray it might be beneficial if the player you get doesn't decode on-board.

Nice speakers, by the way.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks. Still no idea what I will do.

Ya, I like my speakers a lot, only problem is most people have never heard of them.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

The RV-5 is a $3999 Lexicon high-current receiver. That's pretty a good price.

You might find the Lexicon doesn't suit your needs because it only has 2 HDMI inputs. The MC-12HD has 6, but that's $13,000
Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 PM

I bought the 4308 a week ago and I really like this reciever. I bought an onkyo 875 had it for a week and took it back. Was good for music in 2 channel but for movies the denon is far superior.(imho) I have my bryston 4bsst hooked up to the denon so I can power my paradigm studio 100's v.4 and this is a wonderful match. I have also have seen threads where some people have actually used their 4308 as a pre and mated it with parasound and athem 5 channel amps and had wonderful results.