When the end of the journey is near, some rambling - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-23-2020, 02:08 PM

Default When the end of the journey is near, some rambling

As of now, I've built up a collection of about $7,000+ worth of home theater equipment, to setup a 4k tv w/dolby vision and HDR10, a 3D projection system, along with 7.x.4 ATMOS/DTS:X sound and tactile transducers (not all installed yet) and at least since ATMOS was announced for home consumers, this is the point where I wanted to be. At the time, an 11-channel (plus subwoofer) receiver was way out of the price range.

Just a couple years ago, you'd be looking at somewhere around $2,000 for just a 9.1 system, which may or may not even offer DTS:X. Even now, an 11-channel receiver that amplifies all channels is pretty expensive. However, 9.1 receivers have came down in price significantly, and a few of those may offer processing for the extra two channels, where you could add a second stereo amplifier to get 11.1. How those prices decreased so fast from about $1800-$2000 to $550ish for the Pioneer Elite I have is remarkable.

I didn't ever get into D-BOX, and even though I would have loved to get an anamorphic lense for my projector, I never really had the opportunity, and in one of JoshZ's articles, he talks about kind of how, with 4k, that anamorphic lenses are less necessary anyway. I think, had blu-rays really been released into a true anamorphic format, that it could have been more appropriate, and maybe more companies would have released cheaper versions, but that didn't happen. I think it always would have been for home theater enthusiasts and professionals either way, never for mainstream consumers.

8k or 16k doesn't really interest me. The only things I'd like to see in the future are 3D 4K standards and adding a second, separate lfe channel for tactile transducers that is mixed independently of the normal subwoofer channel. There are two reasons why a second LFE channel should be used in the future:

1: Certain soundtracks, ones with boomy music that isn't quite meant to shake your foundation, just do not feel right with tactile transducers. Keep your boomy music in the speakers and allow the LFE to be felt where it goes with the film, for the best impact.

2: There are a lot of older films that could take advantage of this, especially a lot of the 80s stuff (and before) where there isn't a lot of boom in explosions and action. A lot of the people in the film industry don't want to be accused of Lucasing (ala George Lucas) soundtracks. They are afraid people will cry foul, that things aren't original any more, purists. Of course, they could add a sound soundtrack option, or they could add some killer LFE to control tactile transducers to a second LFE channel, where the soundtrack itself is not affected.

I can only imagine that tactile transducers are just a sub-genre of home theater technology in an already niche market, or we'd most likely already be seeing something like this.

Anyway, back to the original topic.. Anyone else feel that, once they've accomplished their home theater goals, that it's all downhill from there? I realize that there probably are a few people that spent 7k on their TV, projector, or receiver alone, but I don't have that kind of money to throw around, and I'm not really wanting a $100,000 theater system. I'd rather have content that takes advantage of my system than to have a system with no content.. lol

Last edited by malakai; 01-23-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:16 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I feel that no matter what, there will always be something else tugging at your wallet. I really didn't think I was going to go 4K as quickly as I did. I bought the movies as combo packs so as not to have to buy them again. What made me seem to go faster was I jumped at the opportunity to buy an Oppo 4K player before they went away. Then when I had a significant promotion at work I said screw it, applied for a Best Buy card and opted for the 24 months interest free financing, and got a TV, which I paid off at a leisurely pace of 6 months or so.

Anyway, I still have to do my audio end of things myself, still running just the 7 channel sound so I do not have object based audio. Don't know if I really want 11 channel, I think 9 will do it.

I have not had any concerns with LFE on my current system no matter which movie I have played. Denon amp with full sized Cerwin Vega towers on 4 corners, 3 Cerwin Vega centers that also handle full range on the other 3 channels. Honestly, if I add 2 on the ceiling, I might consider the same Cerwin Vega center channels mounted above there too, they really are good sounding in my setup. I never felt the need for a subwoofer. Bass is not directional and, like I said, I have no concerns on this setup.

TVs/Displays keep getting better and better and that will be another eventual purchase somewhere down the line, but not say in the next year or two unless something comes along that I just got to have.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:56 AM

My home theater journey is largely over. Iím now sitting pretty with Dolby Atmos and decent 4K.

The best thing I did on my journey was go completely insane/all out when it came to seeking and buying what I consider to be the best sounding speakers made under the 35k(per pair) price point. New projectors are probably going to happen until 8K laser based ones come out, and probably on till I die. Those speakers however.. unless a major change in speaker technology occurs in the next 30 years, Iíll be buried with my current speakers.
Or hell, no one but me enjoys the room(some friends appreciate it, most family has some weird jealousy thing, and refuse to watch anything. Maybe one day Iíll sell it all for a kick ass VR headset and $2000 headphones.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I'd be interested in knowing what you got for speakers. The technology maxxes out at some point and comes down to cabinets after that. If I dropped that sort of cash on them my biggest concern would be the environment they're in, maintaining temp and humidity so they don't degrade. If one has the resources to drop some major dough, more power to them!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:09 AM

Klipsch KPT-904ís are my main channels. They are commercial cinema speakers. Through the Klipsch forums I was able to get them used for $500 each(Iím told these are from an insurance scam in Tennessee originally lol). I worked for a home theater installer and was able to buy the rest of the speakers at cost from Klipsch(kpt-8060s for surrounds, 2 kpt-884 subs, reference series for the ceiling speakers).

Iíve always been a Klipsch fan. The K-Horns were the best speakers Iíd ever heard. I bought these off a guy who also had those, side by side the 904s sound better! Having been to Cedia a few times, only speakers that MIGHT sound better are the KEF Blades(the 35k speakers).

Downside is they have no design aesthetic. Some guys on the forums have made cabs to contain the horn on top and custom grills. Even new cabinets from different wood. Another thing.. older ones like mine are better(late 90ís in my case). The horn is cerametalic and very solid/heavy. New 904s have horns made from a thinner metal, you can knock and hear it reverberate. :-/
Old 01-28-2020, 08:13 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Klipsch has been a very good brand. I still to this day use Pro-Media 2.1 for my computer.
I know there was some controversy when recently they were bought out (??) or merged with another company. Cambridge or Altec ring a bell, I am sure I can google it.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:24 PM

Theyíre still among the best consumer brands. And the Heritage line seems have retained its quality. But overall the brand isnít quite what it was.
Oh also I played with bass shakers early on, quickly got tired of my butt buzzing lol. Iíd always wanted D Box until I say for a demo at Cedia with scenes from FF7. The chairs moved in tandem with a fist fight, felt really stupid lol.