LG 55SM8600PUA Nano 8 series TV? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-10-2019, 12:54 AM

Default LG 55SM8600PUA Nano 8 series TV?

EDIT: Guess this should be in the home theater gear forum... not sure how to move/delete this thread.. feel free to move it there.

Very strongly considering purchasing this 55" tv, as it has HDR and Dolby Vision, although some reviews on it aren't so great. There doesn't seem to be a lot of professional reviews of it either. Anyone here have it have any thoughts on it? Was considering an OLED, but for the price, the burn in that I've been reading about them, I'm not sure I am quite ready to invest in the tech yet. I've looked at one of the OLEDs and several other TVs in-store. Some of them appear to be almost 3D-like, and many of you probably know I am really in to 3D, with almost 400 3D films in my collection currently, even though they're 2D.

I am currently planning out my home theater upgrades, to 4k/HDR and upgrading my ATMOS lite (5.1.2) receiver to a 11.x (7.1.4) ATMOS/DTS:X setup, and keeping just my Optoma 3D projector for 3D.

Since I've had kids and am in a different place, I've not really gotten to do much in terms of home theater audio, although I have had my Mitsubishi 3DTV setup, with just internal speakers. So, I've missed out on a lot of the audio experiences to go with my 3D collection. These upgrades will hopefully give me a chance to re-experience some of my 3D content in a whole new way, as well as expand in to the 4k/HDR territory.

Last edited by malakai; 11-10-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Has the "brun in" thread been specific to a certain model? Every time a new technology comes out there's always an extreme post about it. Plasma TVs for example we've all heard of the gas leaking out, but that was a rare case at some high altitude location, so what do you believe. Even what I just said here was something I heard, but cannot corroborate a source.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:53 PM

Yes, the LG C9 series is what I was originally considering, one that's mentioned having potential burn in issues.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 AM

I didn't even see that the C9 is the most recommended TV of 2019 at HDD. I guess the difference between review copies is that reviewers generally have the tvs for a short amount of time, and the OLEDs can be quite impressive when they're not having issues, but $2,500 for something that is likely to have burn in between 6 months and two years down the road is an investment not everyone would want to make, if they know beforehand.

Before reading about this issue with OLEDs, I had already picked out one after demoing it at Sams club. I think it was listed at $2,400 or something like that, but now, the price has dropped to around $2,000, maybe just for the holidays? Still, I can buy nearly 3 (maybe 3.5 when the LG OLED is not on sale) of the other TVs I'm looking at for that price. Even if the issues aren't as big as they're made out to be, I've already diverted funds for various other aspects of the home theater upgrade and some home remodeling stuff.