LG Releases CineBeam AI ThinQ 4K Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Staff

Default LG Releases CineBeam AI ThinQ 4K Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector

The company's first ultra short throw 4K Ultra HD projector is now available.

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...rojector/44510
Old 07-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Special Member

Proud to announce that LG selected our company to be the launch partner for their new dual laser 4K HDR UST projector, HU85LA.

LG's first allocation is scheduled to arrive in our store Friday, July 26th and our launch demo event is scheduled for Thursday, August 1 5pm - 8pm and Saturday, August 3rd from 11am - 5pm. Hope to see many of our HDD friends!

Just updated our HU85LA webpage with technical specs and more information.

Here's our press release.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Special Member

LG HU85LAs are in the house! I had these air freighted in, the next shipment will arrive in a few days.

We'll get one set-up by the end of today in our new Salamander Designs HU85LA custom cabinet and SI ALR 110" screen.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Special Member

Just did a very quick set-up. Here's a cell phone pic:

Old 07-29-2019, 12:47 PM
Special Member

Here's the throw distance chart for LG's HU85LA:

Old 07-29-2019, 03:39 PM

For $6000 I'm kinda surprised and bummed it doesn't support Dolby Vision. Like, I'm currently looking to upgrade in the next two years and this tech is certainly interesting to me. I guess, just waiting could lead to better features for less in the future. Also, that overall increase in price between model years is quite staggering. Though, I suspect with it being more appealing in the living space, they padded the profit margin more as they predict a higher interest overall.

I'm also interested in it's response time. As, I would like the option to game on it. I'm not a pro or anything and don't suspect it'll be good for twitch play...but for casual interest, I'm curious.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 07-29-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:55 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
For $6000 I'm kinda surprised and bummed it doesn't support Dolby Vision.
Can a home projector ever get the contrast needed to pull it off?
We may see a few eventually that say they "support" it, but in essence might be a big fat lie as they accept the signal, but do not display it correctly. We have actually seen the HDR claim on some devices that truly do not display it.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:06 PM
Special Member

I don't know any projector at any price that offer Dolby Vision HDR. Some 4K projecotrs have HDR10 as does LG's new HU85LA. HDR looks very nice on the HU85LA UST projector.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Can a home projector ever get the contrast needed to pull it off?
We may see a few eventually that say they "support" it, but in essence might be a big fat lie as they accept the signal, but do not display it correctly. We have actually seen the HDR claim on some devices that truly do not display it.
Might be. However, I think I'm still waiting for it. At least, the next two years or so. As I'm not in any shape to remotely dump money into a new display, nor do I have the dedicated home for it yet. I'm still rocking my Vt50 for the 3-5 months that I'm actually home to use it. So, the idea of spending $6000+ on something I will use equally as infrequent is not pressing me to buy.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Special Member

Here's a couple pics from last night's demo launch event:

That's me in the center surrounded by LG's product managers from HQ and the LG's USA Sales manager for the custom install channel and distribution.

Here's a nice shot of two guests who were loving the HU85LA. We had the window treatment opened and all of the store lights on. The photographer exposed for the high ambient room light to get the proper exposure for the two people and not the image on the screen.

Here's 5 of our guests in our dedicated theater where we had a second HU85LA set up to show off how it performs in a dark room. Everyone who saw our 2nd HU85LA in our theater were wow'd by the awesome performance.