Chris1985 is offline Member

Post PS4 and Panasonic Soundbar

Hi everyone.

First off I apologize if something like this has been posted before. I am new here.

I have purchased a Panasonic Soundbar SC-HTB485. I have an LG 49LJ510V LED TV. The TV has limited inputs - only 2 HDMI (no ARC) and no optical. The soundbar has built in DTS and Dolby Digital decoding and is 2.1 channels.

I have an HDMI cable connected to the HDMI out port on the soundbar (this port on the soundbar has ARC but I'm assuming in my case it makes no difference as my TV doesnt have it) and then going to one of the HDMI in ports on the TV. I then have my PS4 HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI in port on the soundbar.

I have been playing around with it and I notice that if I set the PS4 to bitstream DTS (for example) and then choose bitstream direct from the blu ray player settings of the PS4, I am getting DTS from the soundbar (shows on the display of the bar).
    However, I have read that PCM sound is uncompressed and therefore sounds better, where as DTS and DD are compressed. In my case, is it better to set the PS4 to PCM, so that if watching a blu ray, the PS4 decodes the lossless soundtrack, and sends to the soundbar as PCM? When I set all this, the soundbar shows "PCM Multi Channel" on the display. I realize that the soundbar is a 2.1 device, so I think I'm trying to work out if there is any benefit in me setting PCM over DTS or DD and if it is outputting multi channel pcm to a 2.1 device, am I going to be missing sounds due to fewer channels supported on the playback device? I figured it would simply downmix the signal from 7.1/5.1 to 2.1.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

If the soundbar will accept PCM then yes, that is generally the better method. It should be up to the soundbar to decide what frequencies and bit rates to suppress, as opposed to the PS4 doing this. The PS4 would constrain to the regular DTS format and it is probable you would be losing something in translation.

I can tell you than my old tv in my bedroom from 20+ years ago knows the difference between 2 channel stereo and 2 channel surround, even though it merely has 2 speakers, so feeding the highest possible source signal into a device is almost always preferred. Let the device downconvert what it needs to.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Chris1985 is offline Member

Thank you very much!