Palmer is offline Administrator

Default OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player - HDD Review

E has reviewed THE BEST 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player on the market. It's not perfect, mind you, but it's an exceptional machine that is Highly Recommended to video and audiophiles.

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/5030...rayplayer.html

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

I am still holding out for the inevitable "D" model.
    On a plus note I had seen that the previous region select mods still work on this model.

Regarding Dolby Vision - was not Disney claiming they did not include DV on GOTG2 because of issues with the authoring tools? Sounds like a bunch of malarchy to me, even before you claim that the discs you tried work great.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

mw390 is offline Member

I've had a BDP-83 and BDP-93. I bought this player December 2016. About 2 weeks ago I popped in a UHD disc, loading icon kept spinning and then said unknown disc. Same with regular BD. DVD worked. Sent iit back via UPS, repaired (replaced laser) came back via Fedex. Wife said as Fedex guy got off truck with box several boxes fell off and dropped into the street.. Power up 2003 next day and DVD worked but BD and UHD told me to make sure disc was clean, label side up. Called them up for another RMA. In the meantime I powered it down, gave it one last shot and UHD,BD worked. MAYBE the DVD re-set it but I was not overly impressed. Still trying it out every few days. When they send it back tell them to use UPS. I tracked the Fedex shipment and it went though about 8-10 cities so who know what they did to it between unloading and loading
    Last edited by mw390; 08-16-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Hastor is offline Member

The Cons mention some weird default settings, but I didn't catch in the review what those were, and what I should look to change upon getting it.
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT220
    HD-DVD: Xbox360 HD-DVD Drive
    HD Gaming: PS4, PS3, Xbox360, Wii U, PC, Ouya, PS Vita
    TV: Sony KDL-55W900A
    Audio: Yamaha RX-A1040BL

Brian is offline Member

Default I love this thing

Got this last Feb. Never a single issue. Installed region free kit, after initial set up with first firmware upgrade. Removed(in case) region free mod for dv upgrade, reinstalled mod. Still running perfect. Best upscale I've seen so far. The 4K content looks damn fine.

eNoize is online now The Professor

Quote Originally Posted by Hastor View Post
    The Cons mention some weird default settings, but I didn't catch in the review what those were, and what I should look to change upon getting it.
    @Hastor,

Sorry about that. You're right I somehow forgot to add a quick blurb on that. The home menu screen when powering up defaults to [email protected] in 4:4:4 color space 12-bit because all the settings are set to auto, but for some reason, the screen doesn't change to whatever the actual TV resolution is. This can be problematic for some because many HDMI 2.0 cables still run at bandwidth speeds of 10.2Gbps, giving you just a black screen, but a cable that actually runs at a 18Gbps bandwidth won't have any issues. Of course, once you pop in a 4K Ultra HD disc, which are mastered at 4:2:0 subsampling and 10-bit, the player automatically switches to that resolution, and you're all good to enjoy UHD HDR and WCG. Interestingly, this is not a problem when watching on my 1080p projector with legacy HDMI 1.4 cables. This is only an issue on 4K TV sets and projectors. One would argue this is a problem with the cables, not the player, which is totally true, but I don't see any reason why OPPO would lock their home screen at such a high subsampling rate rather it automatically switching to the display's capabilities.
    M. Enois Duarte
    High-Def Digest Contributor
    Hi-Def Collection
    Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
    we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael

RobG is offline Member

I love mine.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

Quote Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
    I don't see any reason why OPPO would lock their home screen at such a high subsampling rate rather it automatically switching to the display's capabilities.
    I made a request for my 103D to be able to set my home screen at 1080/24 and they balked at the idea. If pretty much everything I watch is 1080/24 and the player starts out at 1080/60, every time the disc starts there is a break in the audio and video as the tv and receiver resync to the new signal. That and when the tv switches modes as well it feels obligated to display the new mode on the screen for a few seconds as well. Annoying to have a flagship player with this quirk.
    Funny thing is that every other player I own has the option of setting the home screen to 1080/24 and naturally that annoyance isn't there.

RobG is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    I made a request for my 103D to be able to set my home screen at 1080/24 and they balked at the idea. If pretty much everything I watch is 1080/24 and the player starts out at 1080/60, every time the disc starts there is a break in the audio and video as the tv and receiver resync to the new signal. That and when the tv switches modes as well it feels obligated to display the new mode on the screen for a few seconds as well. Annoying to have a flagship player with this quirk.
    Funny thing is that every other player I own has the option of setting the home screen to 1080/24 and naturally that annoyance isn't there.
    Does the 203 automatically output at 24p, or is there a setting that needs to be changed?
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

Plissken99 is online now Member

I love my 203! The home screen is the same resolution as whatever it's set to output.

I can vouch that the HDR brightness setting is invaluable. I dial it back to 150 nits to match my projectors brightness capability, nicely dials back the blown out contrast HDR often causes.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    I love my 203! The home screen is the same resolution as whatever it's set to output.
    Resolution yes, but what about fps/vertical refresh?

Plissken99 is online now Member

Resolution yes, but what about fps/vertical refresh?
    Yep just tested, whatever refresh rate I set, the home screen displays it. Really is invaluable as the projector takes forever locking onto and displaying a source, now when I BDs and files from the hard drive on it, no annoying resolution change.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

dianebrat is online now Member

I am still holding out for the inevitable "D" model.
    On a plus note I had seen that the previous region select mods still work on this model.
    It's worth mentioning that at this point Darbee has no 4K products, nor has announced any, thus potentially putting a damper on D model Oppos