Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Home Theater 101 (multi-article thread)

Keeping track of the latest audio and video tech can be daunting. Thankfully, High-Def Digest has you covered. Welcome to our new Home Theater 101 series, where we'll be explaining emerging technologies while also recommending the very best possible A/V gadgets n' gear you can buy at your particular budget level.

This forum thread is designed as a place where you can reference all of the articles in the series as they are created, or later down the line, once they've become a full library:

-What is HDR?
    -What is Dolby Vision?
    -HDR Sucks: The Challenges & Frustrtatoins of HDR10
    -4K Ultraviolet Headaches: How & Where To Redeem Digital HD Codes in 4K UHD
    -What is Dolby Atmos?
    -What is DTS:X?
    -Up-mixed: Dolby Surround vs DTS:Neural:X
    -When 4K is Not 4K
    -Best Sound Bars
    -Best UHD TVs
    -Best Budget TVs
    -Best UHD Streaming Services
    -Best Dolby Atmos Speakers
    -What is VR?

reidw is offline Member

An excellent article on HDR. My opinions on the subject:

I have HDR on my TV and I can see the difference (enjoyable) but it is not mind blowing. If I can "nit pick", what this article calls colours are really just shades of colours that are already in rec 709. If there is still a good part of the viewing audience who can't see any difference between HD and SD or who have a HD set but haven't hooked it up to any HD programming (disc, cable, internet, usw), I really don't think that the extra shades will impress Joe Sixpack enough to go out and buy a 4k/Ultra HD HDR flavoured TV. That brings me to my other major concern with HDR, namely the "flavours". As in any case where the public is presented with choices many just sit on the fence hoping for one format to dominate. By my count there now seem to be almost a half dozen variations of HDR. The whole subject has just become too confusing. One would have thought that after the HD DVD/BD war, incompatible 3D formats, and the even older Beta/VHS skirmishes the manufacturing community would have realised that such variety slows down the adoption of any technology but it looks like they never learn. For most people, a TV is not a smartphone. The latter can be replaced relatively cheaply every couple of years (though I've never understood why). People are going to keep their TVs for years. It is too big an investment to change on a whim just to catch up with the latest usually imperceptible "improvement".

updated list of articles.

gravis778 is offline Member

Hmmm. I tried out Skyfall on Hulu on the PS4 Pro, and it certainly did not look impressive to me - in fact, if they were using HDR, it looked like someone either colored it wrong or the metadata tags got foobared in transmission. Actually, very little HDR content looks right to me. I honestly thought I had my television setup wrong until I saw Planet Earth 2. Now I am just convinced things are colored wrong.

An annoyance with all of the services is that it is not easy to just search for 4k content. In fact, searching for 4k content on Amazon returns results that are only available in 1080.

With Amazon, the content that is available in 4k seems to vary depending on which device I am using. I have yet to see anything available to purchase in 4k on Amazon.

Vudu in 4k is only available through the builtin Chromecast on my television (which DOES support Dolby Vision). Fantastic Beasts was the first movie I bought there, and once again, the coloring looks weird, like my television is set wrong. What is even more annoying is that it will only let me purchase 4k content on my tablet once I start casting in the app, and then I have to choose UHD format. I can also purchase on the PC. However, if I am on any of my other Vudu devices, it does not even give me the option to purchase 4k, which can be an annoyance if I forget and purchase a movie on one of my other devices, then see that I could have gotten it in 4k.

Netflix just works with everything.

Ultraflix crashes on every device I have tried it on. I can't even tell you what their selection is like

Amazon doesn't work on Chromecast. Because of Amazon's ongoing war with Google, I have actually gotten to where I have uninstalled it from several devices. It is the only app I have ever seen where more and more functionality is actually REMOVED in each subsequent update.

updated with Best Dolby Atmos speakers

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...for-2017/39102

updated with What is VR? -- Everything You Need to Know About Virtual Reality

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-reality/39260

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Re: HDR Sucks - I generally am an early adopter for new home entertainment formats. I was for VHS, laserdisc, dvd and Blu Ray but not this go round, sorry. I have waited for the movie format to take hold before buying the actual display. I did not buy an HD tv til Blu-Ray was finalized. I have not bought into 4K tvs either because it was inevitable the tv itself would be lacking. And E makes some great points as the the whys on holding out on this next gen video format. I would also expect the same tv to do better for HDR10 source material as well based on the explanation of the article. But at least knowing up front what the format might offer has enabled me to make a decision and this was to wait a little bit, then only now can I say I will seek out a decent Dolby Vision capable tv. As a fan of Samsung and a hater of LG I might be waiting a little bit longer. This and of course spending $3K or so on a tv that suits me seems less appealing than spending $2K!
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Krawk, if LG and VIZIO are a no go for you, keep your eyes on Sony gear, who have also gone full Dolby Vision.

I myself am trying to decide between a 75" VIZIO P-Series with Dolby Vision and a Epson 5040UB 4Ke projector with HDR10 only, but I can fit a 100" screen.

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Krawk, if LG and VIZIO are a no go for you, keep your eyes on Sony gear, who have also gone full Dolby Vision.

I myself am trying to decide between a 75" VIZIO P-Series with Dolby Vision and a Epson 5040UB 4Ke projector with HDR10 only, but I can fit a 100" screen.
    Sony has most definitely not gone All IN with Dolby Vision. Only their upper end sets have a DV update coming later this year. The ones with the X1 Extreme Processor. Most of Sony UHD/HDR sets only use HDR10. And have the regular X1 processor.
    = 649(64.0%)
    = 365 (36.0%)
    Last : UHD-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    Sony has most definitely not gone All IN with Dolby Vision. Only their upper end sets have a DV update coming later this year. The ones with the X1 Extreme Processor. Most of Sony UHD/HDR sets only use HDR10. And have the regular X1 processor.
    Thank you for capitalizing words I didn't use in my dicussion with Krawk. My intention was just to let him know that there's another major brand with the feature.