SVS Prime Elevation Speakers - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,829
Default SVS Prime Elevation Speakers - HDD Review

Considering upgrading your home theater to Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, but don't want to deal with cutting holes or trying to bounce sound off your ceiling? Then you, my friend, need to read Brian Hoss' SVS Prime Elevation Speakers review.

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/4576...er_review.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14,085
Default

I like the idea but not quite sure how a speaker on the wall can accurately mimic a ceiling speaker. I see the diagram and the sofa in the middle would indeed be me sitting there.
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2017, 10:56 PM
Csm101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 81
Default

Great article. I've been curious about these and STRONGLY considered them. They were probably my number two option if I would've chickened out from cutting holes in my ceiling. They look very solidly built.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csm101 View Post
Great article. I've been curious about these and STRONGLY considered them. They were probably my number two option if I would've chickened out from cutting holes in my ceiling. They look very solidly built.
If going with traditional speakers why could you not simply mount them to a stud (rafter?) Who says you have to cut actual holes in the ceiling?
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-08-2017, 12:40 AM
Csm101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
If going with traditional speakers why could you not simply mount them to a stud (rafter?) Who says you have to cut actual holes in the ceiling?
For where I placed my speakers, I would still have to go through the trouble of running the wire through the ceiling, and the Mrs would not like big boxes or little ones hanging from our ceiling. The in ceiling speakers hide pretty well once the grills are on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csm101 View Post
For where I placed my speakers, I would still have to go through the trouble of running the wire through the ceiling
I see what you mean but those plastic cord covers would conceal pretty well and they're paintable if need be. Sure a popcorn ceiling it would be more noticeable. Tell the Mrs that most people don't look up!!! Show here those white plastic channels. As someone that knows drywall in and out I would say it not to be very complicated but I know your pain.
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Brian Hoss's Avatar
HDD Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I see what you mean but those plastic cord covers would conceal pretty well and they're paintable if need be. Sure a popcorn ceiling it would be more noticeable. Tell the Mrs that most people don't look up!!! Show here those white plastic channels. As someone that knows drywall in and out I would say it not to be very complicated but I know your pain.
It's not something I wanted to linger on too long in the review, but using the Prime Elevation speakers over in-ceiling leaves me with flexibility of being able to reconfigure the room with relatively minor trouble.

And thanks for checking out the review.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HDD Gear Review: SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System Palmer Home Theater Gear 0 03-06-2019 04:40 PM
SVS Prime Bookshelf & Prime Center Speakers - HDD Review Palmer Home Theater Gear 0 05-01-2017 02:44 PM
HD Gear Review: SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 Surround System scohen Home Theater Gear 0 12-31-2015 12:22 PM
SVS Introduces the Prime Elevation Speaker scohen Home Theater Gear 0 12-30-2015 12:01 AM
SVS Introduces Prime Speaker Series scohen Home Theater Gear 0 10-10-2014 09:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off