Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Palmer is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,250

    Default CES 2017: LG's New OLED UHD TVs Better Than Ever

    LG made their best displays... better. Check it out.

    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...han-ever/37628

  2. #2
    RobG is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    486

    Default

    "LG is done with both 3D and curved-screen displays."

    Interesting. I've never liked the curved screens. In fact, they actually make me feel nauseous when viewing them. I've never been interested in 3D, but this seems to be another nail in the coffin.
    Rob

    Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    - 136
    - 536
    DVD - 489

  3. #3
    aaronwt's Avatar
    aaronwt is offline Founding Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Northern VA(Woodbridge)
    Posts
    3,337

    Default

    Yes. I wonder if any 2017 TVs will have 3D?
    = 649(64.0%)
    = 365 (36.0%)
    Last : UHD-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

  4. #4
    Palmer is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,250

    Default

    I think the only displays left to be announced are Sony... I think it's safe to say that 3DTV is either dead or hanging on by a very thin thread.

  5. #5
    RobG is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    486

    Default

    I've never had any interest in 3D. The glasses ruin it for me. But I feel bad for those who really enjoy it, as it looks like they're going to be blocked out. They'll have to rely on older equipment, just like I have to in order to watch my HD DVDs. But the 3D crowd will be worse off, as new HDTVs will be incapable of displaying the 3D.
    Rob

    Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    - 136
    - 536
    DVD - 489

  6. #6
    dbacksfan's Avatar
    dbacksfan is online now HDD Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Posts
    885

    Default

    I'm excited about the new TVs, but I love 3D, so I'll probably pounce on a 2016 model. I've been interested in curved screens as well, but have never spent any time watching them. I hear they are "more immersive." Is this true? Interested to hear the pros and cons.

  7. #7
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
    I'm excited about the new TVs, but I love 3D, so I'll probably pounce on a 2016 model. I've been interested in curved screens as well, but have never spent any time watching them.
    Ever see the (pun) guide Vizio released a couple years ago against curved screens. The viewing angle is obviously a con. If it's you yourself in a bachelor pad maybe but you would still have to be pretty damned close to see the effect.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  8. #8
    RobG is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    486

    Default

    The curved screen was for one reason and one reason only - the curve was needed so the screen wouldn't collapse. That's what happens when you make a screen so thin that a mild breeze would knock it over. They tried to market it as a better viewing experience, but most people recognized the con.
    Rob

    Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    - 136
    - 536
    DVD - 489

  9. #9
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    David, in case you missed it, this is Vizio's anti-curved tv campaign.


    I love the free seating guide they include too, lol.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  10. #10
    RobG is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    David, in case you missed it, this is Vizio's anti-curved tv campaign.


    I love the free seating guide they include too, lol.
    Hahahahahahaha! Love it!
    Rob

    Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    - 136
    - 536
    DVD - 489

  11. #11
    dbacksfan's Avatar
    dbacksfan is online now HDD Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    David, in case you missed it, this is Vizio's anti-curved tv campaign.


    I love the free seating guide they include too, lol.
    That's hilarious!! Thanks for sharing!

    Funny story... I was in at Costco earlier this week looking at their sets. I asked the sales guy about the curved screen and how I had heard it was bad for angled viewing. And he told me it was actually BETTER for angled viewing!!! I guess he really wants to get rid of them.

  12. #12
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Curved screens do have some benefit but is very limited. Picture a curved screen computer monitor to where you are sitting just a few feet from it. It sort of wraps around your peripheral vision slightly. The intent of a curved screen is to be more immersive, and in this situation it does work. I am not about to run right out though and buy one.
    There is no way realistically possible for a curved screen in a HT to achieve the same effect. The screen would have to be 120 inches or more and you could sit back no more than 5 feet. The "seating guide" in the Vizio video is still quite true in many situations. Sitting on the left seat you can see the center and right of the screen, but the left side of the screen is partially obstructed or distorted due to the curvature.

    As a techie though my experience with LG has not been very positive. Some of the devices I have bought from them have under performed and failed prematurely. I would have a very hard time buying a 65 inch OLED and see it require service in a year or two. My HT remains powered OFF at the UPS strip and is powered up an average of 4-5 hours a week. I have seen lesser quality equipment always getting power at the strip and ON at least 12 hours a day and still hold up flawlessly years later so why the hell does an LG product fail so bad? FWIW my Samsung/Denon/Oppo setup has held up good so far.

    I would be anxious to hear from the Pro-Curved Screen and/or Pro-LG crowd.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  13. #13
    RobG is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    My HT remains powered OFF at the UPS strip and is powered up an average of 4-5 hours a week. I have seen lesser quality equipment always getting power at the strip and ON at least 12 hours a day and still hold up flawlessly years later.
    There's your problem. You don't use it enough.
    Rob

    Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    - 136
    - 536
    DVD - 489

  14. #14
    dbacksfan's Avatar
    dbacksfan is online now HDD Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Curved screens do have some benefit but is very limited. Picture a curved screen computer monitor to where you are sitting just a few feet from it. It sort of wraps around your peripheral vision slightly. The intent of a curved screen is to be more immersive, and in this situation it does work. I am not about to run right out though and buy one.
    There is no way realistically possible for a curved screen in a HT to achieve the same effect. The screen would have to be 120 inches or more and you could sit back no more than 5 feet. The "seating guide" in the Vizio video is still quite true in many situations. Sitting on the left seat you can see the center and right of the screen, but the left side of the screen is partially obstructed or distorted due to the curvature.

    As a techie though my experience with LG has not been very positive. Some of the devices I have bought from them have under performed and failed prematurely. I would have a very hard time buying a 65 inch OLED and see it require service in a year or two. My HT remains powered OFF at the UPS strip and is powered up an average of 4-5 hours a week. I have seen lesser quality equipment always getting power at the strip and ON at least 12 hours a day and still hold up flawlessly years later so why the hell does an LG product fail so bad? FWIW my Samsung/Denon/Oppo setup has held up good so far.

    I would be anxious to hear from the Pro-Curved Screen and/or Pro-LG crowd.
    Thanks for the comments, Krawk. I would consider myself part of the pro-LG crowd. I've had a 55" LG 3D LED TV for about 5 years now and have loved it from Day One. The 3D is spectacular, and the contrast, clarity, and color are all first rate. I've also never a single problem with it (knock wood!). I also have a Samsung in the house, but vastly prefer the LG. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, especially after the glowing reviews their OLED sets have received.

  15. #15
    scohen is offline Staff
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,586

    Default

    Initial pricing and availability have been announced.

    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-at-3499/38262
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1