Receivers that decode DTS-HD Master Audio! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-23-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Receivers that decode DTS-HD Master Audio!

I have been reading that to date, there is no way to decode DTS-HD Master Audio. I was shopping for a new HDMI receiver, and stumbled across these new receivers on Crutchfield. They appear to decode ALL the new HD audio codecs!!!

Onkyo TX-SR705
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-L1a57Ji...0&I=580TXS705B
Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, THX Surround EX®, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES™, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding

Onkyo TX-SR805
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-L1a57Ji...0&I=580TXS805B
Dolby® True HD, DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD™ High Resolution Audio, THX Surround EX®, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES™, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding

I may have to hold off for a while yet until these come down!

Would it be worthwhile to wait for receivers that decode these new codecs, or would an HDMI receiver that will play lossless audio via TrueHD and PCM be good enough for a normal home setup?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 AM

MOD NOTE:

Moved thread to appropriate forum.

Have a nice day.

eNoize
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
I have been reading that to date, there is no way to decode DTS-HD Master Audio. I was shopping for a new HDMI receiver, and stumbled across these new receivers on Crutchfield. They appear to decode ALL the new HD audio codecs!!!

Onkyo TX-SR705
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-L1a57Ji...0&I=580TXS705B
Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, THX Surround EX®, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES™, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding

Onkyo TX-SR805
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-L1a57Ji...0&I=580TXS805B
Dolby® True HD, DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD™ High Resolution Audio, THX Surround EX®, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES™, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding

I may have to hold off for a while yet until these come down!

Would it be worthwhile to wait for receivers that decode these new codecs, or would an HDMI receiver that will play lossless audio via TrueHD and PCM be good enough for a normal home setup?
They WILL decode the new codecs including DTS-HD MA. But not yet. All HD DVD and Blu-ray players (thus far) are designed to decode the audio internally and then send the signal to the receiver. Unfortunately the players can't pass DTS-HD MA. Once this becomes possible, the new line of Onkyos (and some other forthcoming receivers) can be used for DTS-HD MA.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Banned

How big is the difference in sound in the 805 as opposed to a Sony STR-DG 510? I was thinking about buying the 805 but I want to know how big the difference is. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
They WILL decode the new codecs including DTS-HD MA. But not yet. All HD DVD and Blu-ray players (thus far) are designed to decode the audio internally and then send the signal to the receiver. Unfortunately the players can't pass DTS-HD MA. Once this becomes possible, the new line of Onkyos (and some other forthcoming receivers) can be used for DTS-HD MA.
Even the Dolby website doesn't think that there will very many discs that allow the AVR to decode:

dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/AVRs/trueHD_avrs_3
"To decode these bitstreams, the A/V decoder will need to support the updated data protocols, as well as incorporate these new decoding algorithms. In addition, it will be necessary to select HD discs in which the content maker has permitted the core 5.1 or 7.1 audio bitstreams to bypass the player’s mixing process and be sent directly to the digital outputs of the player. We expect that certain HD discs will permit this, but they may represent a minority of titles. In the end, the sound quality will be essentially the same as that of audio decoded within the player as PCM signals and transported through a current-generation HDMI connection to the A/V receiver."
Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers Fan View Post
How big is the difference in sound in the 805 as opposed to a Sony STR-DG 510? I was thinking about buying the 805 but I want to know how big the difference is. Thanks for the help.
I'm not even sure that is a fair comparison. Two words for you...Burr Brown. They really make a difference in the Onkyo if you truly prefer quality.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post
Even the Dolby website doesn't think that there will very many discs that allow the AVR to decode:

dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/AVRs/trueHD_avrs_3
"To decode these bitstreams, the A/V decoder will need to support the updated data protocols, as well as incorporate these new decoding algorithms. In addition, it will be necessary to select HD discs in which the content maker has permitted the core 5.1 or 7.1 audio bitstreams to bypass the player’s mixing process and be sent directly to the digital outputs of the player. We expect that certain HD discs will permit this, but they may represent a minority of titles. In the end, the sound quality will be essentially the same as that of audio decoded within the player as PCM signals and transported through a current-generation HDMI connection to the A/V receiver."
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I forgot to mention the fact that these restrictions are within the discs themselves, first and foremost. Current hi-def discs don't even allow a receiver to do the audio decoding. They must be done within the player. So, even when new HD DVD/Blu-ray players come out that allow the AVR to decode, many (most?) discs won't even allow this to happen.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I forgot to mention the fact that these restrictions are within the discs themselves, first and foremost. Current hi-def discs don't even allow a receiver to do the audio decoding. They must be done within the player. So, even when new HD DVD/Blu-ray players come out that allow the AVR to decode, many (most?) discs won't even allow this to happen.
This is making me think to get the Pioneer Elite 82 (deep discout) instead of waiting for the new PE 92. - no need to get the 92 with the new internal decoding.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:18 AM

i'm also thinking of getting another receiver. i have a Sony str dg800, but i want HDMI and it seems like the Onkyo 605 is a good deal. but now i'm more confused than ever. i don't get all this BR and HD DVD players not being able to, whatever, True HD or DTS hd or DD+. i mean what do i need to enjoy the loss less audio on these HD disk? what HD player and receiver combo must one have to get for the best audio. not including speakers and such, just player and receiver.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 AM
Banned

what are you doing up so late monday???? i should check to see if your on my site too right now... tee hee. i'm just writing some music, playing the ol guitar.

oh, and a few heinekens in me too....