TheDickWard is offline HDD Contributor

Default 4K and 8K TV Standards Are in the Works

Once the standard is set, you can expect work to begin on 4K broadcasts.

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...andard-1082328

JSmith is offline Member

Wouldnt that be a waste of time if they wont even transmit 1080p HD as it is? People complain endlessly about the amount of junk on tv and the endless stream of reality shows and "talent" shows. Do we really want to be able to see these shows with a higher resolution?

reidw is offline Member

I think with regard to picture quality we've gone as far as we need to go for now. 4K and good grief, 8K won't improve the content. For most viewers it would be a no-starter. Only a few techies, owners of 100 inch screens and those who just have to have the latest will be interested in upgrading. Yes set the standards so that there won't be another mess like 3D has become but take your time developing the products. Give us at least 10 years more at the current level of excellence before any introduction of higher resolutions to the general market.

Naiera is offline Member

Dumb. Total overkill. Useless unless you have 200"+ in your home.

lonerebel is offline Member

Wow. does this mean we'll be seeing actual 1080p broadcasts? with the underwhelming consumer interest in 3D at home I guess the industry thinks 4K and 8K will be the new cash cow. I doubt this will go anywhere in the next 10-15 years. or not until people have OLED wall paper and Taco Bell is the last fast food chain on earth.

DaveT1081 is offline Member

I wonder if this will be a dinosaur before it ever gets off the ground. The consumer pool is shrinking. Studies show that younger generations are trending away from television sets at an alarming rate, preferring to watch programing on smart phones, tablets and laptops (gasp!) instead - and it looks to be more prevalent going forward. Can't see any benefit to that kind of resolution for such small portable displays. If anything, I'd bet 4K & 8K will only be practical for public commercial displays or theatre projection...

snipsnapsappy is offline Founding Member

Considering how compressed current broadcast TV is, do we really care?

1080 has been around for over 10 years and they still make it look like shit with all the compression.
    Panasonic TCP58S2
    Onkyo TX-NR616
    Panasonic BDT310
    Sony PS3
    Toshiba HD-A35
    Denon DVD-2910
    Axiom Audio W2, W100, QS8
    Velodyne VLF-810
    Monster Power HDP2500

Plissken99 is online now Member

I was thinking the same thing. Trying to upgrade to monster resolutions like that and they can't get the current standard right. Even on large projector set ups like mine, I can't image there will be a world of difference. Blu Ray is finally on the verge of gaining dominance and now their gonna scare consumers away with talk of more technology down the road.

BTW the younger gen might be tending toward mobility, but as they grow older and tastes mature, so will their systems.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

JSmith is offline Member

They have barely scratched the surface of HD, Christ they cant even get the most out of CDs at an affordable price. Why the hell would the push a new technology on us?

Naiera is offline Member

Cuz they can sell us more new and expensive stuff.