HD Advisor March 25, 2011 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Default HD Advisor March 25, 2011

The HD Advisor is back with some of the most exciting answers you've ever heard!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...dvisor_99/6595
Old 03-25-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I agree that you shouldn't have to turn on the Toslink or coaxial outputs to affect how audio is transmitted over HDMI, but stranger bugs have been introduced into consumer electronic devices in the past. I'll have to put this out to our other PS3 Slim owners reading this. Is this a known issue?
Didn't the Toshiba HD-DVD players have a similar issue, such as only outputting in DD unless you turned on Toslink, even though you were using HDMI?

If the tech was getting PCM audio, it still should have been lossless quaility. As both my PS3 and HD-DVD decode internally, I have never had my Dolby TrueHD or DTSMA logo light up on my reciever, but, between my old reciever and the new one, I KNOW I am getting it. I think you can also tell that you are getting HD-Audio based on the bitrate info shown when you press the Display button on the PS3 - if its Bitstreaming or enternally decoding the HD-Audio, you will see a higher bitrate on the Audio than you will see if you are exporting lossey audio (over the TosLink or whatnot).

Hey, Josh, question about video processors - would they work for people with regular TVs? Not sure if its worth the trouble, but I was VERY annoyed with the changing aspect ratios of The Dark Knight, and I am expecting Tron in in a couple of weeks. However, what I am even more annoyed about is stuff (extras) on Blu-Ray that are encoded in 4x3 letterbox or (gasp) are postage-stamp-size surrounded by and HD boarder (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet). Most TVs will not let you use the built-in Zoom if you have an HDMI source selected. Would a video processor fix this? Its not like I am wanting to stretch a 4x3 full frame to fill the screen or something, I simply want to zoom something that is 4x3 letterbox to avoid seeing black bars (or an HD background) all the way around a picture.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 PM

Ughhh Tremors, the edge enhancement on the HD-DVD was was the worst I think I've ever seen! The Blu-ray looks worlds better but it's still plainly there.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Not sure if this helps explaining why you have to turn on toslink and HDMI audio output on PS3. With PS3 firmware 3.0 and later, Sony added dual audio output. There's a setting in PS3 to the audio to only one output in Audio Settings, Audio Multi-output.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Great article on the video processor Josh, I also set up my screen at 2:20 and have been looking for a good video processor. Do let us know about the Radiance once you received it.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post
Not sure if this helps explaining why you have to turn on toslink and HDMI audio output on PS3. With PS3 firmware 3.0 and later, Sony added dual audio output. There's a setting in PS3 to the audio to only one output in Audio Settings, Audio Multi-output.
Yeah I was thinking this could be part of the problem too. Originally the PS3 could only output audio through one method, now with the dual audio output, you could have it coming from both the HDMI and Toslink ports at the same time. I haven't tested it, but I assume that you would have to output a similar signal through both. Perhaps dual was turned on, but since that type of output was disabled on Toslink, it was disabled all around. Makes me wonder if it can ouput lossless at all with dual audio, since Toslink can't handle more than stereo PCM or lossy DD/DTS. Perhaps it can, for example, send the full DTS-MA audio through HDMI while only sending the lossy core through the Toslink. This is all speculation, I'm stuck with Toslink only for myself currently.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 AM

After getting a PS3 slim I didn't see in the audio menu where to enable bitstreaming, but didn't investigate why until now. In order to bitstream losses codecs, you need to enable those output modes. A long list of modes with sampling rates (44.1 to 192MHz)/bit depths (16 or 24)/codecs(PCM, DD, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc.)/channels(2.0, 5.1, 7.1, etc.) are among the audio output options, you need to check each box to verify that your receiver can handle it, and it pops up a warning message that if you try to send a mode your receiver can't handle, you may damage your speakers. When you have checked one or more DTS-HD MA, and/or Dolby TrueHD modes, the bitstream option will appear in the menu, and unlike other Blu-ray players, you can actually shift between bitstream and PCM while a movie is playing and see the lights come on on your receiver. Whoopie.

You don't need to enable toslink.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
Didn't the Toshiba HD-DVD players have a similar issue, such as only outputting in DD unless you turned on Toslink, even though you were using HDMI?
Now that you remind me of this, yes. You had to switch the "digital out SPDIF" setting in the HD-XA2 from "bitstream" to "PCM" in order to turn on bass and speaker management for the HDMI output. The two things shouldn't have anything to do with one another, but it was a bug in the design.

Quote:
Hey, Josh, question about video processors - would they work for people with regular TVs? Not sure if its worth the trouble, but I was VERY annoyed with the changing aspect ratios of The Dark Knight, and I am expecting Tron in in a couple of weeks. However, what I am even more annoyed about is stuff (extras) on Blu-Ray that are encoded in 4x3 letterbox or (gasp) are postage-stamp-size surrounded by and HD boarder (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet). Most TVs will not let you use the built-in Zoom if you have an HDMI source selected. Would a video processor fix this? Its not like I am wanting to stretch a 4x3 full frame to fill the screen or something, I simply want to zoom something that is 4x3 letterbox to avoid seeing black bars (or an HD background) all the way around a picture.
A video processor will work with any HDTV, and (if it's a model with full aspect ratio control) will do what you describe. However, this will likely be an expensive solution for something that amounts to a nuisance right now.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.