Front Projector Sales Expected to Grow This Year - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Front Projector Sales Expected to Grow This Year

Projectors are expected to sell well at all levels with an emphasis on entry-level.

http://www.twice.com/article/464181-...For_Growth.php
Old 02-22-2011, 03:38 PM

I just installed a Epson 8350 projector this past weekend on a 119" Draper screen. I've gotta say that if that was my 'first' projector I would be hooked on front projection forever. The setup was very easy. Lens shift was a bit looser than I would have liked, but it worked exactly as expected.

Most of all, the image was big and bright and had very good color out of the box. The homeowner had no furniture in the room yet, but ended up just sitting down on the tile floor and watching the first thing I had thrown up on the screen in HD (History Channel) and watched for at least an hour.

Not only was he happy to see it working, but he was happy to see just how great it looked, as was I.

Front projection can be done as a pretty basic setup for under $2,000. Incredibly entry level can be done for under $1,000.

Get a Optoma HD66, add a Blu-ray HTiB for under $300, and add a cheap manual screen or use a wall, and you can have 100" front projection pretty darn easily and affordably... with an image that really DOES match a theater.

For a mid-level setup, five to seven thousand dollars can do people very nicely.

We aren't talking about anamorphic setups with a proper scope lens in the mix, but with an Epson 8500UB or Panasonic AE4000, or JVC HD250 and a Carada screen a decent receiver and some good speakers... That $5,000 to $7,000 range for the complete setup is less than a 720p projector cost ten years ago.

Hope that means I will be busier this year!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM

I remember the 1st time I saw a FP set up, I casually walked into an Ultimate Electronics grand opening. My mom(I was 17) walked out of a demo room and sincerely told me not to go in there, so I did. And there on a 133in screen was Fellowship of the Ring playing on DVD... I just about watched the entire movie. It was playing on a $10,000 720p Sharp projector with a I think a whopping 2500:1 contrast ratio lol. A year later I got a used Barco CRT projector for $1,500(beat the hell outta the Sharp), and have since moved to a JVC RS1, then RS2.

If you have a room you can set aside for it, nothing beats a front projector. The Blu Ray images my RS2 throws up on a 147in high power screen are as sharp as any 50in TV. Since I got a projector my 2 movies at the theaters every weekend stopped quickly, and since HD DVD and Blu Ray came out, I hardly see anything theatrically anymore.

I want 3D projection, but I won't do it until we have projectors that transfer 2D to 3D like the Panny TVs(plus I was LED lampless/fanless), and preferably made by JVC.