HD Advisor February 4, 2011 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Default HD Advisor February 4, 2011

Herrrrrrrrrre's the HD Advisor!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ass_of_92/6289
Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM

To the guy with the laserdisc question (incase you are looking at this thread), I may have an old RF demodulator that I no longer use (I no longer use my LD player). I knew exactly what your problem was and that an RF demodulator would be the answer. Send me a PM if you are interested, I will then hunt around and try and find the unit. Last I checked it was working just fine. I'm not gonna charge you anything for it. (But no guarantees that I will find it, but I don't want to go looking unless you are interested).
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Hi !

Im the guy with the laserdisc question, Ive already left you a pm !

Thanks a lot !
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Regarding the confusion about HD vs screen aspect ratio, it has been my contention all along that the REAL selling point for today's LCD, Plasma, LED etc. sets is not the HD picture which for many people is not important, or not a big enough improvement or too "techie" for many to understand (720p, 1080i, 1080p, 4:3, 1.78:1, 2.40:1??) but rather the wide screen which is readily apparent and easy to comprehend. That may explain the large number of people who buy HD sets but never hook up any HD source. It is the wider picture they are going for not the improved level of detail/colour etc. HD itself is lost on this group who will tell you either that they can't see any difference or they don't want the complicated hassle of adding a HD box to their setup. If they had their way movies like the Wizard of Oz would be blown up to a fill the whole screen as they want every pixel of their screen to be used. Sadly there are even a few TV stations here in Canada that cater to this opinion. (I can't comment on the United States but A&E used to come close to doing this).
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM

The PS3 question:

Have you set the PS3 to bitstream?
When doing so the PS3 should work.
You can also let the PS3 work it out for it self. Just hold the powerbutton down when turning it on,
then it will reset itself (just picture and sound), and do a new handshake with the Yamaha. It should then automaticly find out what it can send.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM

I knew there was a good reason to still have a link to the PS3 user's guide even after I had to give up my PS3. The menu path is Settings > Video Settings > BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI); change from Linear PCM to Bitstream.

Actually, the writer wants two conflicting things: He wants the PS3 to decode the bitstream *AND* TrueHD/DTS-HD MA lights on his receiver. You can't have both; to get the lights on the receiver, you have to send the bitstream to the receiver for decoding. If the PS3 decodes, the receiver will always show LPCM because that's what it's getting. (That part isn't PS3-specific; it applies to any device using HDMI sound, including stand-alone BD players and even HD DVD players.)
Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Class of '92 rules!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 AM

easiest way to set ps3 to bitstream: during BD playback hit the triangle button and select a/v settings fifth option down is audio output format and you can select bitstream or linear pcm
Old 02-05-2011, 01:49 AM

In regards to bitstream and the PS3 (and all players) quite often you want the player to decode the audio internally because it allows for things like voice over commentaries which are included on a secondary soundtrack. With internal decoding the player can handle the two audio streams without problem. But, when you bitstream to your receiver to decode the audio, only one stream of audio can be dealt with, and that is typically the movie soundtrack, so you lose any special voice-over features that you may attempt to do.

I'm a big fan of using the solution that is best and ignoring the pretty lights whenever possible, and unless decoding in my receiver is the better solution, I'll stick with letting the player/PS3 do it internally.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I'm a big fan of using the solution that is best and ignoring the pretty lights whenever possible, and unless decoding in my receiver is the better solution, I'll stick with letting the player/PS3 do it internally.
It is a good thing to know about, but most receivers do a better job than the PS3 on the decoding, even it should be the same since it just unpacks the tracks.