HD Advisor January 14, 2011 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Default HD Advisor January 14, 2011

The HD Advisor is in his easy chair, remote in hand, ready for your questions!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...p_Song_89/6162
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM

I have the PS3 slim. I prefer Lpcm over bitstream with my Onkyo 805. I have the turn the volume up very high on bitstream, and I don't receive the secondary audio. I can't believe I bought the slim model just to see DTS-MSTR-HD light up on my receiver.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Wow, Josh, I can't believe how many times you've had to answers PCM vs. BITSTREAMING on the PS3.

87, 86, 79, 57, 30, 27, 2

I wonder how many more it will take. And does Google not work anymore? I don't mean to offend anyone who is still confused (perhaps you're just purchasing a PS3), but I personally find it fascinating that this is still a common question. Ahhh, the modern digital world, where nothing will be clear and simple for consumers anymore.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZ-Homework
Q: I'd like some help with Blu-ray playback on a PC. What's the best Blu-ray playback software, Powerdvd9 or WinDVD 9? For PC HD Audio, what are the best HD sound cards? Are there any obvious downsides to HD Audio over analog from a PC? What are the best setting on a PC for outputting the 1080p picture? My full HD projector receives a signal from my Blu-ray PC at 1080/60 should I set the PC graphics card to 1080/24? ]
Actually, those are both up to version 10 now:
PowerDVD: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...iew_en_US.html
WinDVD: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...1&tabview=tab0

I really suggest you take a look at Total Media Theater 5 from ArcSoft, instead:
http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/softwa...ductCode=TMT5P

It's the last player that still does HD-DVD (although it's an 'unpublished' feature, at least in Version 3, which I own). As of a patch to version 3, HD audio over HDMI is supported.

Back about a year ago, I wound up having to replace my OEM version of PowerDVD 9 which came with my LG BDR/HD-DVD drive. It had been working perfectly, actually....until I needed to do a system reinstall. Now, here I'm going to lay on you a personal theory that I believe to be true, but I've never seen anything online to prove/disprove (or even mention the problem)...

I believe that the Blu-ray (& HD-DVD) encryption keys in players can have a pre-programmed "shelf-life". After I reloaded the PC, and reinstalled PowerDVD (even with blocking PowerDVD via the firewall, so I knew that there was no way it could be 'aware' of a patch being available) ...PowerDVD complained that the master encryption key was no longer valid when trying to play something other than DVD.

So, how was this possible, when the software played just fine 2 days before the system reinstall? My theory is that the encryption key was fine if installed prior to a certain date. However, now my system clock was at least a year or so older. And, I think, past the "shelf-life" of the encryption key.

As further 'proof' (or at least an example) of the theory; I have a PS3 at my Mom's house out of State. I can't get there often, they don't have an internet connection where the PS3 is situated, and honestly I wasn't concerned about updating the firmware on the PS3 during previous visits. So, it had a firmware probably going back to March 2007. Recently, I sent her a copy of Sex and the City 2, ...and the PS3 complained that the encryption key was no longer valid! ....The disc played fine after we upgraded the firmware. I have a feeling that player manufacturers & software player publishers can offer a "timed encryption key" or a "final encryption key". Because, I had a standalone Panasonic DMP-BD10 (2006 manufacture; 2008? firmware) that hadn't ever exhibited this type of problem.

Anyway, I know this went on a bit of a tangent, but it is related to your point: we should not even bother talking about prior versions of PC software. Unless you've perhaps got a cracked version, but even then I kind of wonder if the problem I've described wouldn't be an issue at some point.

So, as usual, trying to fool with a PC to play HD media ...is probably the most frustrating thing you could endeavor to do. The only advantage is that you can use the PC to use other region BD & DVD discs (via appropriate region-changer software). That's the only reason I'm even bothering with it.

Seriously, if you've got the dough for a full HD projector and theater, I have to ask ...what are you doing fooling around with a PC? Get an Oppo for $500 (http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/) and it'll play most any disc you can dream of (I did), and it's got a serial port and analog audio jacks if you need that. It also allows shifting the position of subtitles, if you're doing constant-height projection. The PC is the most error-prone, buggy, noisy, and clunky way of achieving good playback.

But, if you must, I recommend Total Media Theater, because it's really got a smooth & classy default interface, and at the time when I needed a solution last year, it offered the best performance (I had tried the v10 of the others, which were choppy & crappy on my system, which is Win Vista 64bit, with OCZ SSD, Nvidia 8200 mobo, 4gb RAM, and AMD 2.6ghz dual core). Ironically, I did another system reload recently, and got the latest patch for TMT, ...and now I think I'll have to see if I can run it with the prior patch instead, as now my system runs choppy! ....PC's.... Arrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonous View Post
The Homework assignment was pulled out from the big backlog of questions. When it was sent in, both of those programs were probably still at version 9.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Default Arcsoft, good choice. Watch the framerate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZ-Homework
Q: I'd like some help with Blu-ray playback on a PC. What's the best Blu-ray playback software, Powerdvd9 or WinDVD 9? For PC HD Audio, what are the best HD sound cards? Are there any obvious downsides to HD Audio over analog from a PC? What are the best setting on a PC for outputting the 1080p picture? My full HD projector receives a signal from my Blu-ray PC at 1080/60 should I set the PC graphics card to 1080/24?
I agree with the Arcsoft choice. It's been my #1 for awhile and plays great on secondary monitors. You can set your card to 1080p24, but I've actually burned through 2 TV's by doing that and didn't find out until the third that it was caused by running the HDMI input at such a low fps. Instead, try running it at 1080p47.95 or 1080p95.904 so you don't rely on an TV or projector's frame interpolation issues while getting a nice refresh rate. I also use 1080p60 and it's playing everything well. Otherwise, look into an HDI Dune BD Prime player for network-based BD ISO playback.

-H
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonous View Post
Actually, those are both up to version 10 now:
PowerDVD: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...iew_en_US.html
WinDVD: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...1&tabview=tab0

I really suggest you take a look at Total Media Theater 5 from ArcSoft, instead:
http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/softwa...ductCode=TMT5P

It's the last player that still does HD-DVD (although it's an 'unpublished' feature, at least in Version 3, which I own). As of a patch to version 3, HD audio over HDMI is supported.
Totally agree with Total Media Theater 5. It also does 3D (well, Total Media Theater 3 does, I need to look at upgrading). PowerDVD 10 should offer 3D as well now. I don't care for WinDVD at all - I HATE it.

As for the sound card option, AFAIK, no sound card offers lossless audio. I think some video cards now offer Audio over their HDMI, so that may be an option. I found the best option from the PC is to just get a soundcard that supports Toslink and run it into my reciever. I got an older TurtleBeach model. Ideally you would want one that supports both Dolby Digital and DTS, but the TurtleBeach I have now does just Dolby Digital, and quite frankly, I can't tell any difference between it and my old one. I THINK the reason is because most soundcards will export Dolby Digital at 640kbps instead of 384, and that higher bitrate really makes a difference.

If you are not hooking up to a reciever, any old sound card should work. In fact, if you are buying a PC surround sound set, you could probably hook it into the on-board soundcard and get just as good (if not better) sound than you could from a dedicated card. On-board soundcards have come a LONG way in the past ten years.

Stay away from Creative Labs. They are pricey, and tend to have proprietary digital connections on their cards. What is worse is that you can't find the adaptors ANYWHERE! After about 9 months of looking, I finally just took my Audigy out of my PC, and ran with the toslink from the motherboard, until it blew, I replaced my motherboard, which didn't have Toslink, which forced me to buy the TurtleBeach.

Confused? I tended to babel.

Point is, just use the onboard sound card. If you want Digital out and the motherboard doesn't like it, look for something like http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-R...5269861&sr=8-6 (this is what I have), http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-M...5269861&sr=8-4 or http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Xtreme...8&sr=1-2-fkmr0

If you want lossless audio to a reciever, you will have to find a video card with HDMI that supports sound. Newer video cards SHOULD offer this, but check the specs before you blindly buy - there are still quite a few that ONLY do video over the HDMI.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Yeah, plus, if you ever play games on the TV, you don't want to be set at 24fps. I THINK mine is set at 50. Need to look at that, 50 is working just fine at this time, but I am sure the tv is interpolating.