Okay to change crossover setting after using Yamaha Auto Setup? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Okay to change crossover setting after using Yamaha Auto Setup?

Hi folks. I can't remember where I read this but I'm thinking I read that it is not okay to change the crossover setting after I run the Yamaha YPAO setup routine with the mic. Something about it negating the Parametric EQ that it sets up. When I did this it set my crossover to 90 which was okay but now I'm noticing that I can tell that my sub is on the left side which is somewhat distracting. I talked to someone at SVS and they suggested maybe that the crossover is set to high at 90 and suggested putting it to 60. Is this okay to change after running the YPAO setup? I was hoping to use the PEQ it sets up but I don't want things off balance with that by changing the crossover after setup. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM

I certainly don't think it is a problem to make a change.
the auto setup provides a baseline imo, and you should absolutely let your ears determine manual tinkering.
I'm not familiar with the specific eq, etc. etc, but manual changes absolutely should be utilized if the receiver allows it to get the best possible sound.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergroov1 View Post
Hi folks. I can't remember where I read this but I'm thinking I read that it is not okay to change the crossover setting after I run the Yamaha YPAO setup routine with the mic. Something about it negating the Parametric EQ that it sets up. When I did this it set my crossover to 90 which was okay but now I'm noticing that I can tell that my sub is on the left side which is somewhat distracting. I talked to someone at SVS and they suggested maybe that the crossover is set to high at 90 and suggested putting it to 60. Is this okay to change after running the YPAO setup? I was hoping to use the PEQ it sets up but I don't want things off balance with that by changing the crossover after setup. Thanks.
Yes, it's perfectly fine, just like Arkadin mentioned in his above post.
...Even after YPAO had determine those x-overs, you can readjust them manually.

* If your speakers have roughly a minus 3 dB point around let's say 40 Hz, you can certainly set the x-over manually to 60 Hz or so.
And if the -3 dB point is at about 80 Hz, a x-over of 80 or 90 Hz should be fine.

Usually, a subwoofer would be hard to locate with anything below about 100 Hz. ...And a very good rule of thumb (if all your speakers have at least a 6" diameter woofer) is to set their x-overs at 80 Hz.
That also helps your receiver to breathe better with only the over 80 Hz audio frequencies to handle.
And if some of your speakers (surrounds or back surrounds) have a smaller diameter woofer like a 5" driver for example, a 100 Hz x-over would be more appropriate.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Only change the crossover frequencies if you know that your speakers can handle those frequencies. I've blown many speakers over the years by adjusting the crossovers too low. Also, if the amps in your recievers aren't capable of cleanly distributing lower frequencies at higher volumes you may damage your speakers. You are warned.