Upscaling and Progressive Scan - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Default Upscaling and Progressive Scan

Hello!

I've just purchased a new upscaling receiver. It's the Sony STR-DN1000 and I'm quite happy with it, for mine and my wife's needs.

My question is, a while back I've purchased on two separate occasions two DVD players. One is a standard player, the other one is a Progressive-Scan player.

When plugging these two players into the receiver, would by definition the Progressive-Scan player produce a higher quality source and therefore the upscale will be cleaner, or would it not matter at all?

Only reason I ask is because my experience with upscaling and PS is limited. I know the PS3 will either upscale or use progressive scan on games.

I appreciate any feedback on the issue, thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

The best way to answer your question is by the old established method called - Trial By Fire.

This means you connect your DVD players first to your AVR and look carefully at the images you see. Then you back up the DVD to your starting point and attach it directly to your HDTV which will also upscale the images.

Keep repeating the tests until YOU decide which looks the best.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
The best way to answer your question is by the old established method called - Trial By Fire.

This means you connect your DVD players first to your AVR and look carefully at the images you see. Then you back up the DVD to your starting point and attach it directly to your HDTV which will also upscale the images.

Keep repeating the tests until YOU decide which looks the best.
Thanks for the super prompt reply! Guess I should have figured that'd be best, but I was just wondering if there was some "technical" explanation

I'll just mess around with it after we move, give me something to do in my free time!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyx View Post
Thanks for the super prompt reply! Guess I should have figured that'd be best, but I was just wondering if there was some "technical" explanation

I'll just mess around with it after we move, give me something to do in my free time!
When you do the tests - don't use a 100% CGI movie like CARS or BOLT. Use a real life action movie with a lot of movement in the scene. That way you are testing the upscaling ability of each device to the max - throwing the worst situation at it.