2010 Plasma Shipments Saw Rebound - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM

I have never went with a plasma set before. My last big purchase on a set was about 2 years ago. I opted for the 73-inch Mitsu Diamand DLP. It was a steal I though at $2800. I felt like once a plasma picture went out you may as well just throw the set out. On the other side I can switch out my bulb for about $100. I was always concerned I would not get much life out of a plasma. With that said I may go withone in the next year or so depending on what larger sizes will be available. I was thinking that if I replace a TV around every 4 years a plasma should last at least that long.

It is just weird becasue when my parents bought a TV they acted like it was going to be the last one they had. LOL Now with tech advancing faster and me wanting to be at the cuttinf edge I think 4 years is about the max for me.

The Kuro's were simply amazing but I could not justify the incredibly high price for a smaller set. Especially to my wife.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorHappyFun View Post
I disagree. If a Viera and a Kuro look the same to you, congratulations, you are blind.
No, I'm not blind, you've been psychologically persuaded by Pioneer based on their name only, or you just don't mind throwing your money away! Personally, I don't necessarily need, nor want an $6000.00 HDTV, when I can buy one that looks just as good for $3500.00 cheaper. There is nothing on a Pioneer Kuro that is worth paying an extra $3,000.00 for, and if you do, than you're gullible. A $21,000.00 Honda Accord can transport me where I want to go the same as a $245,000.00 Rolls Royce! Now, you get my drift?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese59 View Post
The Kuro's were simply amazing but I could not justify the incredibly high price for a smaller set. Especially to my wife.
This is wisdom!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:43 PM

I think plasmas have made a comeback simply cause they dont really try to compete with LCD directly. They come at different pricepoints(cheaper) and even different sizes(like 50")
Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorHappyFun View Post
I disagree. If a Viera and a Kuro look the same to you, congratulations, you are blind.
I agree, and the arguement is like saying that they shouldn't sell Porsche because Toyota is perfectly fine for everyone.

Pioneer lost over 17 million dollars a YEAR while producing plasmas the last few years. It was a losing product for them, but it is still considered the best flat panel display ever made by all accounts. I've not read a single account from a serious reviewer who has ever said that anything has truly beat the Kuro.

Now, it doesn't take away from people enjoying what they currently own, but I'll be damned if I will ever understand why people have to crap on better top shelf product to justify the quality of what they own already. Panasonic is the best flat panel CURRENTLY in production, but there is a reason they bought a bunch of patents and technology from Pioneer, and it wasn't because they already had perfect displays. They're still striving, and they are doing a darn good job about it! I'm all about them best Pioneer ASAP because that's just good for all of us!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Thank You.

I OWN a Viera; I know it is an amazing plasma. I WANT a Kuro; it has a better picture.

That is all.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese59 View Post
I have never went with a plasma set before. My last big purchase on a set was about 2 years ago. I opted for the 73-inch Mitsu Diamand DLP. It was a steal I though at $2800. I felt like once a plasma picture went out you may as well just throw the set out. On the other side I can switch out my bulb for about $100. I was always concerned I would not get much life out of a plasma. With that said I may go withone in the next year or so depending on what larger sizes will be available. I was thinking that if I replace a TV around every 4 years a plasma should last at least that long.

It is just weird becasue when my parents bought a TV they acted like it was going to be the last one they had. LOL Now with tech advancing faster and me wanting to be at the cuttinf edge I think 4 years is about the max for me.

Well I own 3 Plasma's, One is 7 years old and going strong. You will get way more then 4 years out of a Plasma with no problem.

IMHO I think it's silly to buy a TV where you have to replace the bulb every few years at a cost of $100 or more. Lamp pricing has come way down but still an Expensive I really wouldn't want after buying a new TV. But that's just me.

I understand why people do it because more size for the money but I am like you I need every new tech that comes out and I replace TV's about every 1 - 2 years sadly.

I bought My first plasma 7 years ago and every one back then said they wouldn't last a couple years. LOL! I now own 3 Panny Plasma's and wouldn't buy anything else..
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I agree, and the arguement is like saying that they shouldn't sell Porsche because Toyota is perfectly fine for everyone.

Pioneer lost over 17 million dollars a YEAR while producing plasmas the last few years. It was a losing product for them, but it is still considered the best flat panel display ever made by all accounts. I've not read a single account from a serious reviewer who has ever said that anything has truly beat the Kuro.

Now, it doesn't take away from people enjoying what they currently own, but I'll be damned if I will ever understand why people have to crap on better top shelf product to justify the quality of what they own already. Panasonic is the best flat panel CURRENTLY in production, but there is a reason they bought a bunch of patents and technology from Pioneer, and it wasn't because they already had perfect displays. They're still striving, and they are doing a darn good job about it! I'm all about them best Pioneer ASAP because that's just good for all of us!
Fixed:

"but I'll be damned if I will ever understand why people have to crap on lower shelf product to justify their high priced TV they own already.

On the flip side us who do not own a Pioneer have to listen to those who own one or want one about just how amazing their TV is compared to anything else that has or still to come out. And how everything that comes out today is crap next to their Pioneer tv.

Or every year the new models come out all you hear is "Still can not touch my Pioneer", "Why can't they make anything better then Pioneer" etc. etc..

And it's a very simple answer: Cost

Pioneer should be the best since you paid 2 - 3 times the price. I personally do not see a $2000 - $3000 difference between my Panny Plasma and a Pioneer plain and simple. Call me blind etc.. People who paid those high prices will swear up and down their is a HUGE difference and that's ok to help justify their purchase.

Pioneer made amazing sets, I agree but not $2000 - $3000 more amazing IMHO.

Panny could incorporate all of Pioneers tech and make $6000 50" plasmas and they would fail.

I agree Panny is doing a great job at adding Pioneers tech and keeping cost low.

I just wish people would let just let others enjoy the set they bought and not keep bringing up Pioneer. Pioneer is NOT coming back so we get what we get from now on. Which I think is pretty amazing tech for the price we pay.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM

^Tech improves and so do manufacturing techniques, so there should be a point at which Kuro performance is completely obliterated. Until that day arrives, the comparisons will continue unabated.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
^Tech improves and so do manufacturing techniques, so there should be a point at which Kuro performance is completely obliterated. Until that day arrives, the comparisons will continue unabated.
It may be the issue of the quality of the components and not manufacturing techiques.

Do you remember a CRT TV CEM called Proton (not the RCA offshoot)? They had outstanding PQ and they did it by using military grade power supplies. Their TVs were of course more expensive then everyone elses.

Pioneer has already proven that having the best PQ at the highest price is not a good business plan.