Canadians Only - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: What do you own and what made you buy.
HD DVD player (price wasen't a factor) 4 8.33%
HD DVD Player (price was a factor) 7 14.58%
HD DVD add on for 360 12 25.00%
Blu-ray 6 12.50%
PS3 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Canadians Only

Ok, so after all this Blockbuster news i am curious who owns what. At my Blockbuster in Westbank, BC all seem to be favoring HD DVD over Blu-ray, for a week now i have been trying to rent Ghost Rider (i know) on DVD, i just got back and they still don't have one for rent or sale now. I have stoped by every 2nd day to see if one is in, nope! Although the 3 Blu-ray copies have yet to be rented out. Nice try if you want to get a copy of a new release HD DVD in the first week. I asked today what they rent more of they said about 75% HD DVD, before you go off this is not trying to bait anyone.

I think HD DVD is well more recived in Canada at least where i live do to the price factor, we can buy a HD DVD player for $349 but the cheapest Blu-ray player is still $999 ($899 on sale). I still have yet to meet a person who own's a PS3 or Blu-ray player in my city. I do have one friend in Calgary with a PS3 and 2 in Vancouver with PS3's and only one of them has used it for movies.

Last edited by Sonyscrewsall; 06-19-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:47 PM

HD DVD for me of course here in Alberta.

Price was a factor for sure.

I could choose between $549 or $999. To me, the HD DVD at $549 was a no brainer. I wanted 1080p so I had to go with the A20.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Yeah the blu-ray players are still $1000, and movies are much cheaper here, and I had a 360, so....
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 PM

PS3... I liked the specs of Blu-ray and the PS3 was a more than capable player that did a great deal more than just play movies.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyscrewsall View Post
Ok, so after all this Blockbuster news i am curious who owns what. At my Blockbuster in Westbank, BC all seem to be favoring HD DVD over Blu-ray, for a week now i have been trying to rent Ghost Rider (i know) on DVD, i just got back and they still don't have one for rent or sale now. I have stoped by every 2nd day to see if one is in, nope! Although the 3 Blu-ray copies have yet to be rented out. Nice try if you want to get a copy of a new release HD DVD in the first week. I asked today what they rent more of they said about 75% HD DVD, before you go off this is not trying to bait anyone.
I thought people were going to stop with all the anecdotal threads.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM

360 addon for now... at $199.99 CDN (if you already own a 360) you can't go wrong.

I currently have just under 30 HD DVDs in my collection.

As for personal observations, BD seems to be favored in Calgary judging by the stores I visit.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyscrewsall View Post

I think HD DVD is well more recived in Canada at least where i live do to the price factor, we can buy a HD DVD player for $349 but the cheapest Blu-ray player is still $999 ($899 on sale). I still have yet to meet a person who own's a PS3 or Blu-ray player in my city. I do have one friend in Calgary with a PS3 and 2 in Vancouver with PS3's and only one of them has used it for movies.
Ghost Rider. I watched it last night. Got it at BlockBuster (SD DVD) and was my "free" rental for June. I want my money back! HORRIBLE! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! DON'T RENT IT! Seriously, it makes The Fantasic 4 look like a masterpiece!

Anyways, on to more important matters. My BlockBuster has equal sized shelf space for both formats. It seems that at my store, the HD DVD rents more than bluray by 60/40 (or so they say). So far Canadian BlockBusters don't have the same plans as the US stores (or so they say). We'll see what happens.

By the way, Futureshop sells the new Sony G2 bluray player for $599. It's $100 less than the PS3. But for $100, I'd buy the PS3. They're still not cheap enough for me to make the plunge.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 PM

Default $499.00 Canadian Blu Ray

Over at AVS forum members saw and bought in Canada.

Sony S300 for $499.00 Canadian at Visions electronics
Old 06-19-2007, 09:40 PM

addon for me, really happy with it
Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Playstation 3

I have a PS3. I rent movies at Zip.ca and at Superclub Videotron. A few weeks ago, I was able to find these titles at the Superclub Videotron. It was a good start!

Edit: Why? Because...
PS3: Upgradable, good price (for a gaming console, a BD player, a DVD player, a CD player, a SACD player, a media center, etc.).
BD: 25Gb per layer, studio support, cheap price in the long term.