HD player adoption hurt by blu-rays success - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,714
Default HD player adoption hurt by blu-rays success

Now that Blu ray seems to be on even more so of a roll (after the Blockbuster and potentially the Target news), how much do you think this has delayed hd movie adoption? Where as it could have sky rocketed this holiday season with hd dvd players in the $199 range or lower, now with the consumer-unfriendly prices of blu ray players, I believe now we are looking at Holiday 2008 at the earliest for affordable $199 blu ray players.

In fact, its looking more and more like hd dvd won't be remembered, and blu ray will be the new laserdisc. I compare it to laserdisc as potentially soon it won't really have a rival (laserdisc didnt really either) but it's way-too-high price tags put off consumers from mass adoption.

Wonder what the next thing after these 2 formats fail will offer?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,247
Default

umm BR discs don't cost $70-$100 unless they are multi-disc sets, and I'm sure soon enogh there will be $10 dollar bins to pick up your BR movies at walmart and other chain stores, when players and HDTV's become cheaper, which I believe would be the biggest sellers for xmas 2008. By then I fully expect $99-149 players and sub $500 40-inch LCD TV's with the digital broadcast law coming into effect early 2009.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:26 PM
divian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,689
Default

Another thread?
You can make this comment in any of the thousands of threads about blockbuster today.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 845
Default

Blue Ray is a success now? LMAO !!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasr View Post
Blue Ray is a success now? LMAO !!
If Blu-Ray is that laughable, then HD must be the killer joke talked of in the Monty Python sketch.

Logan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM
HarakoMeshi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpho View Post
Now that Blu ray seems to be on even more so of a roll (after the Blockbuster and potentially the Target news), how much do you think this has delayed hd movie adoption? Where as it could have sky rocketed this holiday season with hd dvd players in the $199 range or lower, now with the consumer-unfriendly prices of blu ray players, I believe now we are looking at Holiday 2008 at the earliest for affordable $199 blu ray players.

In fact, its looking more and more like hd dvd won't be remembered, and blu ray will be the new laserdisc. I compare it to laserdisc as potentially soon it won't really have a rival (laserdisc didnt really either) but it's way-too-high price tags put off consumers from mass adoption.

Wonder what the next thing after these 2 formats fail will offer?
If Blu-ray was the format that's holding back sales then how come its selling more than HD DVD?

Haha, I really love the HD DVD fanboys who start talking about how both formats will fail when their format is not doing well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
Haha, I really love the HD DVD fanboys who start talking about how both formats will fail when their format is not doing well.
Everything is coming up roses, until HD does poorly against Blu-Ray.

Then it turns two ways, the first is that Digital downloads are the future anyway.

The second is that both formats aren't doing well right now so they're both going to bottom out and not do well at all.

Logan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:49 PM
93xfan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeath View Post
Everything is coming up roses, until HD does poorly against Blu-Ray.

Then it turns two ways, the first is that Digital downloads are the future anyway.

The second is that both formats aren't doing well right now so they're both going to bottom out and not do well at all.

Logan
haha, agreed. the HD fans look to be a selfish lot- if their format doesn't win, then they want both to fail.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 PM
winstonshu's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpho View Post
Now that Blu ray seems to be on even more so of a roll (after the Blockbuster and potentially the Target news), how much do you think this has delayed hd movie adoption? Where as it could have sky rocketed this holiday season with hd dvd players in the $199 range or lower, now with the consumer-unfriendly prices of blu ray players, I believe now we are looking at Holiday 2008 at the earliest for affordable $199 blu ray players.

In fact, its looking more and more like hd dvd won't be remembered, and blu ray will be the new laserdisc. I compare it to laserdisc as potentially soon it won't really have a rival (laserdisc didnt really either) but it's way-too-high price tags put off consumers from mass adoption.

Wonder what the next thing after these 2 formats fail will offer?
quite possibly one of the stupidest concepts to float out of today yet.

/facepalm
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM
BanthaPoodoo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
quite possibly one of the stupidest concepts to float out of today yet.

/facepalm

Agreed. Both formats failing is only a remote possibility. As long as overall sales are on the up-and-up we shouldn't have to worry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blu-rays for sale/trade (Sherlock, Hurt Locker, Public Enemies, GI Joe, etc...) thelwig14 Blu-ray Disc Exchange 2 07-03-2010 10:59 AM
Want Sherlock Holmes or Hurt Locker Blu Rays-Have 3 Disc 2012 Blu FT GPWYANKEE Blu-ray Disc Exchange 1 04-26-2010 05:21 PM
So the BDA Wants Mass Adoption? How 'bout a $199 1.1 BD player for starters! Arkadin High Definition Smackdown 28 01-04-2008 11:43 PM
Will Warner's success put pressure on studios to support both HD DVD and Blu-ray? WesleyTech.com High Definition Smackdown 75 08-08-2007 01:27 PM
Blu-ray a success because of PS3? Not so fast Blu-rayers! (NPD inside) Wulf Gaming Smackdown 94 03-19-2007 04:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off