HD player adoption hurt by blu-rays success - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Default HD player adoption hurt by blu-rays success

Now that Blu ray seems to be on even more so of a roll (after the Blockbuster and potentially the Target news), how much do you think this has delayed hd movie adoption? Where as it could have sky rocketed this holiday season with hd dvd players in the $199 range or lower, now with the consumer-unfriendly prices of blu ray players, I believe now we are looking at Holiday 2008 at the earliest for affordable $199 blu ray players.

In fact, its looking more and more like hd dvd won't be remembered, and blu ray will be the new laserdisc. I compare it to laserdisc as potentially soon it won't really have a rival (laserdisc didnt really either) but it's way-too-high price tags put off consumers from mass adoption.

Wonder what the next thing after these 2 formats fail will offer?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

umm BR discs don't cost $70-$100 unless they are multi-disc sets, and I'm sure soon enogh there will be $10 dollar bins to pick up your BR movies at walmart and other chain stores, when players and HDTV's become cheaper, which I believe would be the biggest sellers for xmas 2008. By then I fully expect $99-149 players and sub $500 40-inch LCD TV's with the digital broadcast law coming into effect early 2009.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Another thread?
You can make this comment in any of the thousands of threads about blockbuster today.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Blue Ray is a success now? LMAO !!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasr View Post
Blue Ray is a success now? LMAO !!
If Blu-Ray is that laughable, then HD must be the killer joke talked of in the Monty Python sketch.

Logan
Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpho View Post
Now that Blu ray seems to be on even more so of a roll (after the Blockbuster and potentially the Target news), how much do you think this has delayed hd movie adoption? Where as it could have sky rocketed this holiday season with hd dvd players in the $199 range or lower, now with the consumer-unfriendly prices of blu ray players, I believe now we are looking at Holiday 2008 at the earliest for affordable $199 blu ray players.

In fact, its looking more and more like hd dvd won't be remembered, and blu ray will be the new laserdisc. I compare it to laserdisc as potentially soon it won't really have a rival (laserdisc didnt really either) but it's way-too-high price tags put off consumers from mass adoption.

If Blu-ray was the format that's holding back sales then how come its selling more than HD DVD?

Haha, I really love the HD DVD fanboys who start talking about how both formats will fail when their format is not doing well.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
Haha, I really love the HD DVD fanboys who start talking about how both formats will fail when their format is not doing well.
Everything is coming up roses, until HD does poorly against Blu-Ray.

Then it turns two ways, the first is that Digital downloads are the future anyway.

The second is that both formats aren't doing well right now so they're both going to bottom out and not do well at all.

Logan
Old 06-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeath View Post
Everything is coming up roses, until HD does poorly against Blu-Ray.

Then it turns two ways, the first is that Digital downloads are the future anyway.

The second is that both formats aren't doing well right now so they're both going to bottom out and not do well at all.

Logan
haha, agreed. the HD fans look to be a selfish lot- if their format doesn't win, then they want both to fail.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpho View Post

quite possibly one of the stupidest concepts to float out of today yet.

/facepalm
Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
quite possibly one of the stupidest concepts to float out of today yet.

/facepalm

Agreed. Both formats failing is only a remote possibility. As long as overall sales are on the up-and-up we shouldn't have to worry.