Sony Desperate? Free PS3 with TV purchase! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Sony Desperate? Free PS3 with TV purchase!

I read the Best Buy flier this weekend and saw a new ad for sony products. The ad stated that with a purchase of a 40" LCD or a 60" projection + one BD movie +PS3 game + PS3 you get $600 discount? So basically a free PS3.

So with many BD fans stating that toshiba is desperate with its specials. Would this make Sony desperate as well?

Yes I think it does but it is an awesome deal for both the TV and the PS3. The 40" is $2100 with full package and the 60" is $2500. I wish this sale was going on a few months ago. I may have taken advantage of it.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 AM

How much would you have to expend to take advantage of this deal in comparison to the Toshiba "buy a player and you get 5 discs for free" plan?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshikisen View Post
How much would you have to expend to take advantage of this deal in comparison to the Toshiba "buy a player and you get 5 discs for free" plan?
Don't get me wrong there have been several deals bigger than this on the Toshiba side. But it is always considered a sign of desperation by the BD camp. Now sony is "giving" PS3's away? I just want to know what the input is on this.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
Don't get me wrong there have been several deals bigger than this on the Toshiba side. But it is always considered a sign of desperation by the BD camp. Now sony is "giving" PS3's away? I just want to know what the input is on this.
You're not going to get any objective input.

Look, the more I frequent this forum, the more I see it's sort of futile. Yes, there are some very objective people here, but for the most part you have the same arguments breaking out. BD fans will trumpet this as a thing of genius, a good promotion, etc, while still arguing that HD DVD promotions are desperate - and it's because right now BD is winning, and that is just fueling some people's arrogance, meanness, whatever.

It's gone beyond amicable around here - sure, maybe I was not here when the HD DVD fanboys were supposedly running amok, and so now they "have it coming," but I make one post in the past three days and the first reply back is "are you mentally retarded?"

If you're expecting many open-minded responses right now, good luck! But I'll answer your question: who cares? BD is clearly winning right now, and every PS3 in a house = another potential BD customer. It's not desperate when you are winning, my friend.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
I read the Best Buy flier this weekend and saw a new ad for sony products. The ad stated that with a purchase of a 40" LCD or a 60" projection + one BD movie +PS3 game + PS3 you get $600 discount? So basically a free PS3.

So with many BD fans stating that toshiba is desperate with its specials. Would this make Sony desperate as well?

Yes I think it does but it is an awesome deal for both the TV and the PS3. The 40" is $2100 with full package and the 60" is $2500. I wish this sale was going on a few months ago. I may have taken advantage of it.
OK. Objectively speaking...

I would say this is a promotion to sell TV's not PS3's.

If Sony wanted to sell higher volumes of PS3's they know what to do (and someday they will - probably later this year).

Having said that, if you're in the market for a decent 40" TV then it's a great deal. Take the $600 discount and then sell the PS3 on eBay (assuming you don't want it). Not bad atall. Sadly, I'm in the wrong country for this one.

The recent Toshiba deal was 100% focussed on moving HD DVD players & discs.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 AM

from best buy -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

that's a $2700 ($2000 + 600 + 30 + 60 per that page) - $400 = $2300 package. compare this to, for the toshiba players, being a $400 (for the A2) - (5 * $20-30) = $300. for the sony package, the discount from BB is <1/6 the total package cost - for the toshiba A2 player (without a monster discount), the discount is at least 1/4 the total package cost. something to think about.

if sony were losing, then yeah... this would smack of desperation.

in the meantime, this is the way toshiba should have bundled stuff to begin with - by bundling the HD TV with a player, you're expanding your potential market (i.e., getting all the folks who don't even HAVE an HD TV yet to buy in) and ensuring that if nothing else, they give your side a good, hard look.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
from best buy -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

that's a $2700 ($2000 + 600 + 30 + 60 per that page) - $400 = $2300 package. compare this to, for the toshiba players, being a $400 (for the A2) - (5 * $20-30) = $300. for the sony package, the discount from BB is <1/6 the total package cost - for the toshiba A2 player (without a monster discount), the discount is at least 1/4 the total package cost. something to think about.

if sony were losing, then yeah... this would smack of desperation.

in the meantime, this is the way toshiba should have bundled stuff to begin with - by bundling the HD TV with a player, you're expanding your potential market (i.e., getting all the folks who don't even HAVE an HD TV yet to buy in) and ensuring that if nothing else, they give your side a good, hard look.
That is an online ad. Please see the pull out from sundays paper.

http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy...toreid=2412889

The savings is $600.

An I understand your point about moving TV's but there have been several such specials with Toshiba TV's and Hd Dvd players that were lambasted ast being desperate. Everyone knows that the PS3 is not moving and this is a way to get it too.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 AM

I don't think this promotion is not so simple as to be either desperate or not desperate. There are a couple of motivations at hand.

#1) Toshiba struck first, offering a free HD DVD player and 5 HD DVD movies with purchase of a Toshiba TV. This appears to be at least partially a retalitory strike.

#2) It's a well known fact that in console terms, the PS3 is failing to perform, when compared with the XBox 360 and Wii. Sony is believed to have a huge overstock, and with the need to reduce production costs, they would need to dump old stock.

#3) It is my understanding that Sony's TV line is their most profitable area. If this is true, then it would make sense to use this area to assist in moving more of their warehoused consoles.

So I'm not sure I would say it's a move of desperation, although I wouldn't say it isn't either. But I believe that IF it is a move of desperation, it is more on the console side of the PS3 then the Blu-Ray player side. Since they could have EASILY given away free Sony Blu-Ray players and lost much less money with this promotion.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:01 PM

ah, i stand corrected re: the discount. percentagewise it's still less than the toshiba discounts though.

and re: moving ps3s, well, yeah. no one disputes that sony will cheerfully attempt to move ps3s in any way they can.

desperation though? sure. if they were losing (it's hard to be desperate if you're not losing...)
Old 06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

The markup on electronics at Best Buy is huge.

I had a friend who worked there and after a few months you get the employee discount. You can get an 8k MSRP for around 2000 with the employee discount.

Trust me, noone's losing money on this deal, especially with the fact that you just guaranteeed a long line of Blu-Ray Movies and PS3 games for the next 7 years with this deal.