If blu-ray wins do you think prices will go up? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 PM

Default If blu-ray wins do you think prices will go up?

Considering some blu-ray movies are $39.99 retail for 1 regular disk it's fairly terrifying to think of what would be going on right now if they didn't have HD DVD to compete with. We've seen a lot of blu-ray disk sales on amazon. Buy 2 get 1 free ect..

If blu-ray wins I'm thinking we won't see any of those sales again for a long time. Another reason I'm praying HD DVD pulls off the upset.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 PM

i think that if you think that HD DVD won't overcharge while toshiba attempts to recoup some of the losses that it incurred while conducting their fire sale of players, you've got a big rethink coming.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Considering some blu-ray movies are $39.99 retail for 1 regular disk it's fairly terrifying to think of what would be going on right now if they didn't have HD DVD to compete with. We've seen a lot of blu-ray disk sales on amazon. Buy 2 get 1 free ect..

If blu-ray wins I'm thinking we won't see any of those sales again for a long time. Another reason I'm praying HD DVD pulls off the upset.
Yes, because HD DVD disc prices are so much lower

I hate to tell you, I pay more on average for my HD DVD's than I do my Blu-Ray movies. Day and date combos are bank breakers....

I would be more worried about HD DVD winning and everything being sold in combo format. Universal already tried selling their catalog titles in combo format and they had to kill that idea because nobody was buying them...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 PM

There's still SD discs to compete against. I think current pricing would hold. More or less.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 PM

HD DVD seems to be mroe expensive than Blu-ray in-store and online when it comes to media. Blu-ray has had some great sales, and a lot of titles are $19.99, while HD DVD hasn't had that one great sale yet, and most titles seem to be in the $24.99-$39.99 price range.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post

Wow, FUDdy McFUDdypants alert.

Seriously, take a step back, breathe a little. Be calm, someone will eventually be there to hold your hand or pat you on the head.

When {when there has been a fight like this} have priced on tech EVER gone up after the smoke clears?

That's right, NEVER.

When VHS triumphed over Beta, the prices for VHS stuff stayed the same.

When the Ipod defeated everything, their prices not only stayed the same but they've been lowering ever since.

When DVD took over for VHS, the prices not only stayed the same but they dropped, and yes, like the Ipod continue to drop.

If Blu-Ray wins {your words not mine} Prices will stay the same as not only are Blu-Ray players not being offered under cost {like HD players are} but they disks are already making them money. IN all likelyhood HD players might see a slight increase so Toshiba can make their money back if they win, that's all that I can see happening.

Honestly guy, take a hit off a bong, chill out and just relax before you have another panic attack about prices going up if one side or the other wins.

Logan
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 PM

As far as I've seen it, Blu-ray prices are consistently cheaper than HD DVD, and on top of that they offer supporters a lot of disk sales. Toshiba has combo disks and free movies only for new initiates...and for some crazy reason you want HD DVD to win? Thats makes no sense. "Even though HD DVD is more expensive in reality, I want it to win because Blu-ray is more expensive in my imagination."
Old 06-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Banned

Yawn, more SDF tripe...
Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 AM

To answer the question... Yes I am. But I am more worried that if Blu-ray wins what kind of insane copyright protection will come to pass. The companys involved in Blu-ray do not have a very good history as far as copyright protection. Sony had the whole BGM CD thing where it uploaded software to your PC corrupting your firewall. Disney and Fox both backed the Divix format over DVD because they prefered the registerd one time use. If Blu-ray wins their is nothing stopping Sony from using software that has you register you movie so that it can only be played on one player (they have a copyright to that technology) or even uploading files to your Blu-ray player, PS3, or PC that allow them access to your personal information. I shudder to think of how bad things could be if Blu-ray won. Now I am not saying this is a for sure thing and I am not just saying this to bash Sony. All I am saying with this is that human beings are supose to learn from our past, thats part of what makes us Human. Lets hope people are not in fact devolving.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:12 AM

Well maybe they've been doing it because a lot of us people have been uh pirating. I'm not defending Sony because I am guilty of such things, but I guess if we weren't pirating, such things would've never happened, and Sony would not have to escalate.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club