Sony/ Walmart-Target Deal - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-12-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Sony/ Walmart-Target Deal

From USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...t-target_N.htm

This article talks about Blu-ray too

Now to facilitate discussion:

Will buying a Sony TV make you want to buy a Sony BD-player? Or is this one of Sony's supposed dirty...errr smart business tactics?

What will the impact be?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 PM

The real discussion is what does this mean in relation to Walmart no longer stocking an HD DVD player on their website?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post
The real discussion is what does this mean in relation to Walmart no longer stocking an HD DVD player on their website?
There's mention of Walmart slashing prices of 360 add-ons to $60.00...liquidation perhaps?

Or are they making room for the mythical Chinese HD DVD players?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 PM

What does buying a Sony TV have to do with buying a BD player? It's not like a BD player will not work on other TV's made by different manufacturers. I think you're reaching a bit if you think Sony releasing a certain type of TV is a form of BD promotion.

There is a blurb in there about Sony TV's bundled with PS3's but it's not the major point of the article and it's just speculation.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:27 PM

Default No, it's for sku blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post
Sony needs to sell to various markets, including walmart. The problem faced by Sony and others is that Wal Mart sells based on price. So if Sony has product XYZ at your local stereo shop at 999, and then at wal mart for 699, the upper price tier channel gets pissed off.

The way to get around this is to sell a slightly modified version of the same product, using not as good materials, but more importantly to give it a different sku.

Why a different sku? Well that is to avoid price matching. If I tell you I'll match any price then you tell me wallyword has the product for 699 I'll ask for the sku. I then get to tell you that "sorry, different product". And I don't need to price match.

The problem with selling to wallyworld is that you could pollute your brand. Meaning that the consumer starts to think you're product is cheaper than it might be. A lot of quality products are not for sale in wal mart because they simply want to avoid thinking about price first.

But Sony needs to push lower price TVs, they're doing well on the TV side, but lower price products are eating away at their margins.

There is this off brand, not sure the name, "VISO" or something like that, it is beginning to sell very well.

I won't touch off brand, and I don't buy my electronics at wallyworld unless it's toss away.

//wally already sells PS3s and xBox's, but it sells more wiis.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 PM

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say if someone who knows nothing about HDTV's jumps in at Wal-Mart, they aren't going to care about the format war. Think of all the people you know who still watch standard tv on their HDTV's, and who used to buy fullscreen dvd's because "dangit, I pay to have my movies take up the WHOLE SCREEN!". That's who this initiative is thrown at. If you can convince those people to drop 500 dollars on a new player and convince them to buy into a new format where the movies cost more than normal dvds, you're one hell of a salesman. This goes for HD-DVD too. The new formats are a tough sell for ANYONE not thoroughly into their hdtv's, or slightly unfamiliar with the technology of high def in general.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 PM

This is a good step by Sony towards getting HDTVs in the hands of average consumers, so they'll care about HD. Not quite there yet, but a step in the right direction. No doubt other manufacturers will follow suit.

This isn't just good for Blu-ray. It's good for the entire HDTV ecosystem. HD-DVD too.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 AM

One angle to consider is the possibility of future bundles, or even better for Sony, future rebates. If Sony plans to sell large volumes through discount retailers like this, they'll be able to get key materials (ads, coupons, rebates, etc.) to the ideal customers through nothing more than materials stuffed in a box and/or mentioned in a manual.

You can damned well bet that in the "hooking up your stuff" section of the manual, there will be a mention of Blu-Ray, and not of HD-DVD.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

Even sony's "cheap" models will have a 25% mark up compared to discount models sold by Target and Walmart of comparable quality (Vizio, Olevia, Westinghouse.)
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpho View Post
Even sony's "cheap" models will have a 25% mark up compared to discount models sold by Target and Walmart of comparable quality (Vizio, Olevia, Westinghouse.)
Vizio has a 42" plasma for $799 and there was also a 37" LCD in my Walmart for $699. Sony will be nowhere near those prices. Inexpensive for Sony is about $1200-$1500. Walmart customers won't be impressed.