Can Blu Ray Do This? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Can Blu Ray Do This?

http://www.animeonhd-dvd.com/reviews...views/6337.php

If this has already been reported here then I apologize for bringing this up again.

Just spotted this on AVS Forum and read the actual review. Anime on DVD has a review of the HD DVD of Freedom Vol # 1. To date, this is the first high def disc on either format to offer online capable extra's. Although there are a few bumps in implementing some of the online extras on the disc, overall, this seems to be a very impressive start for downloadable content for future releases. I can't wait to see how this will work for Warners HD DVD releases of 300 and Blood Diamond.

What do you Blu Rayers out there think about this?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:15 PM

now that's pretty cool.

/shrug.

i don't know how much i'd be using it in real life though... maybe once?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM

There's potential there, but I was hoping to read that they've actually found an innovative way to use online connectivity for enhanced interactivity. At this point it looks like it's just a complicated and error-prone way to include the trailer in 1080i. The feature on this disc is only 24 minutes long--they couldn't have just included the trailer on the disc?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
now that's pretty cool.

/shrug.

i don't know how much i'd be using it in real life though... maybe once?
You have a point there. There is the possibility that a studio (Bandai in this case) may offer updates for the online content, like extra trailers, filmographies or maybe even realtime directors commentary and or a Q&A session. We'll have to see how this pans out but so far I'm excited by what I see.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Mentallo View Post
You have a point there. There is the possibility that a studio (Bandai in this case) may offer updates for the online content, like extra trailers, filmographies or maybe even realtime directors commentary and or a Q&A session. We'll have to see how this pans out but so far I'm excited by what I see.
Chicken Little on BD offered a BD-J Q+A session. Not sure how it works.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:18 PM

That's pretty sweet that you can change transparency settings on the PiP as well as the size and presentation. Add to that the online features, and this seems like one ground-breaking HD DVD release - too bad the actual content doesn't have a bit more universal appeal.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:29 PM

I am sure that both formats will be able to do great things in the near future.
It seems to me that the marketing for both formats are not trying right now to show people the potential that we will see in the interactivy the formats wll have. Some people think these features are not important, and yet most of us do not even know what they players will be capable of in the near future. There is a market for these features. To deny it and say that only PQ and AQ matters is very old fashion.
I even consider important the new menues. There is a good market in all of these implementations.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM

Blu-ray can or will eventually do whatever HD DVD can do now. I believe on Blu-ray, its called BD-Live.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
Blu-ray can or will eventually do whatever HD DVD can do now. I believe on Blu-ray, its called BD-Live.
Are you sure about this statement?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
The problem is that blu ray is supposed to be technically superior to HD DVD right now, not 6 months from now. It's little things like this that's exposing blu ray's faults. BD has the sales lead for now but it will have problems maintaining this lead if more and more studios continue to release these extras that BD is supposed to be capable of playing. In about 3 months there are going to be 3 titles with these type of options (Blood Diamond, 300, Freedom) and each will continue to build upon the latest release to (hopefully) provide a superior home video experience. And I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that WB's Blade Runner may be an HD DVD only exclusive because of these new features

Heck, I've got a PS3 but my $199 add on shouldn't be outperforming the $600 piece of super-duper next gen hardware. If I were a BD only fan, these type of "enhancements" would scare the crap out me. Everyday, HD DVD is making the PS3 a glorified doorstop (and I hope that doesn't happen since, you know, I paid $600 for the thing ).