Any regrets? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM

- Deleted -

Last edited by vooswing; 08-04-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 PM

No regrets for me, having tested the waters with the Xbox add-on. (Yes I know I'm only getting half the fun in terms of picture upgrade.) However I can understand your frustration considering the investment you've made. Guess you also illustrate the problem in getting this whole thing moving, in that, to fully appreciate the whole HD experience, may require an extensive upgrade beyond just buying the player regardless of format. Kind of reminds me of the whole upgrading your PC thing with graphic cards, sound cards, motherboards rat race. In the end it put me off the whole thing and got me into gaming on the consoles. Far cheaper and far less hassles.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 PM

Vooswing, this sounds like a potential poll question buddy.

As for myself, absolutely, unequivocally, no regrets on dishing out $599 for my PS3. It is one helluva supercomputer. Can't wait for GTA4, MGS, Assassin's Creed, SOCOM, 300, Spidey 1,2,3, PotC 3, Live Free Or Die Harder, FF2, etc...

Last edited by Nighthawk; 06-11-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 PM

No regrets at all... I spent $500 for the PS3 and as a Blu-ray player it's worth every penny... And I don't even own one game for it!...
Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 PM

One regret for me is really personally, my life is starting to open up and my only regret may be spending too much money on it. The real problem is not the movies, but the games for me.

Why did a waste money on Wii that I don't use except on vacation, same for 360 except for one movie that I am getting this week for personal reasons. PS3 and my Sony 46 XBr2 get use all the time. My 32in gets used less offen.

One must learn from mistakes - why buy stuff that don't use - no more console games and maybe even no more games for me. Only movies.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
Has anyone reached the point of regretting getting into HD?

As an early adoptor I'm starting to wish I would have waited a few years with HD. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with both formats and am at the point that I wish I would have just waited!

Here are some reasons I wish I had waited:

I wish I would have waited for another company to produce HD DVD players. I was on the verge of smashing my Toshiba player a while back just from trying to update it.

Disk problems and quality of disks. I've bought a few duds... Digital Video Essentials won't play the HD DVD side, Fifth Element PQ, The Game PQ, immediately come to mind.

Disney and Fox not releasing many titles is really starting to get annoying. I bought both formats because I wanted movies and between questionable quality lately and Disney and Fox being MIA I'm starting to wonder if there are enough movies to justify the original expense of the players.

I've spent a small fortune upgrading everything as a result of getting into HD. New TV, new receiver, new speakers, etc, etc, etc. Not that this is HD's fault but I was very happy with everything I owned before getting into HD.

I still love HD but looking back on the past year I think I would rather have saved the thousands of dollars I've spent on everything and just stayed with SD until the whole war is over.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I'm starting to regret it to a certain extent. Some of the same points you brought up I've been thinking about lately.

I bought my Panasonic Blu-ray player to get Sony, Disney & Fox movies on hidef. I'm getting my Sony movies but I get frustrated with Disney announcing titles & cancelling or just trickling out titles here & there. The 1st of the year they were releasing alot of titles when I bought my player. Same with Fox & now they currently have no titles on the release schedule.

I do enjoy the Warner, Paramount & Universal titles on HD DVD. At least they have a pretty full release schedule.

I just wish that all the studios would release the quantity of titles they were releasing at the beginning of the year & I'd be happy again. I do have second thoughts about it with the way things are going presently on the Blu-ray release side.

Hopefully things will pick up for the holidays.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 PM

I don't have any HDTV, but I prefer BDs (or HD DVD) because the audio is better (in french), and because there is no pause between the layer change (just watch a DVD and you will notice how disturbing it was).

To my needs, there are enough titles on each side (about 300). Disney and Fox will be back this fall. BD-J 1.1 will be available (I hope) in the beginning of November. This web site gives good reviews to know which titles have the greatest PQ and AQ. In brief, it's not that bad.

My only regret: I have lost too much time here and in AVSForum. But it's not because it wasn't interesting.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 PM

The only thing I regret is not preordering PS3. Better luck next time, eh?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:33 PM

The only thing I regret is to read the smackdown forums.

good night.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 PM

I can see why you'd have regrets. Buying both formats is definitely expensive. For me i'm playing it safe. I only dropped $160 for my player and I'm only buying my favorite movies and renting the rest. This way even if HD DVD dies or neither hd format really takes off any time soon i still get to take advantage of my HD TV.