Whats up with Universals quality control? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Whats up with Universals quality control?

Whats up with Universals quality control lately, are they suffering because of the quantity versus quality issue? I am not bringing this up to piss of fans of the HD DVD format but rather because I would like to own some of those movies sooner or later on one format or another.

Haven't we seen this from other studios before, they start releasing tons of movies but the quality lowers and extras disappear?

Please be gentle with me
Old 06-11-2007, 04:11 PM

You are right!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Banned

Thats probally the only complaint from the other side I fully agree with. I really really really really want to buy Children of Men on HD DVD, bu because many people have complained about it not working Ill wait till its fixed through firmware or a re-issue on Universal's part.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
Thats probally the only complaint from the other side I fully agree with. I really really really really want to buy Children of Men on HD DVD, bu because many people have complained about it not working Ill wait till its fixed through firmware or a re-issue on Universal's part.
I think he is talking about the last releases being really poor on the PQ department.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
I think he is talking about the last releases being really poor on the PQ department.
Which ones? Not that I disbelieve, but rather Im curious.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:49 PM

I try to remember that some films are shot in a manner which may not ever look pristine in a digital format. Tigerland for example was shot on handheld 16mm cameras (as opposed to 35mm) to try to create the feel of an army combat video. There's only a very few films in which HD really jumps out as a significant difference, and it's usually recent releases. The directors should be supervising the transfers to ensure the quality is intact, hopefully they are. I would prefer one quality release over two that look as good as an upscaled DVD.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
You are right, I am to talking about playback issues, that can usually be corrected with a firmware update. What can't be fixed by a firmware update is a poor transfer or no extras, now what I have seen by Universal lately has not been poor but rather medium.

What I am saying is that Universal seems a little sloppy right now, this is probably caused by bad masters. But then again they need to take a look at the master of a movie and decide if it would look good in HD. If the master does not hold up, better leave the movie for a later time and clean it up. Of course this is something every studio should do, otherwise we as consumers will feel cheated. I feel like we are paying for high quality movies and I expect high quality movies.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
Try to find a good deal on it - buy it and if it doesn't work then just return it.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
Try to find a good deal on it - buy it and if it doesn't work then just return it.
My local Wally Word has had it for $25 since it came out. Thats cheap enough...at some point I will make the plunge and hope it works out.

All of the non universal combos I have work fine.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Whats up with Universals quality control lately, are they suffering because of the quantity versus quality issue? I am not bringing this up to piss of fans of the HD DVD format but rather because I would like to own some of those movies sooner or later on one format or another.

Haven't we seen this from other studios before, they start releasing tons of movies but the quality lowers and extras disappear?
I agree, I was so excited to get The Game and was hoping for a great picture and sound; but after watching it I was very disappointed, the PQ was awful and the sound sucks. I hope when The Bourned Identity comes out, it'll have an awesome PQ and great audio too.