Why do we do it to ourselves? Blu-Ray/HD DVD talk - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Why do we do it to ourselves? Blu-Ray/HD DVD talk

It strikes me as very funny, but we do things to ourselves and then we complain about it. WTF am I talking about?

Ok, I see complaints all the time about fanboi threads. We see threads for instance of how Universal can/will go neutral. We see threads like PS3 attach rate for BD is low, so Blu-Ray will fail. We also see Xbox 360 failure rate is 61%. Or HD DVD is putting drives into their laptops so that means they're here to stay. We see my local store has stopped carrying format X so they're good as dead. We see Pirates is tanking. We see Matrix didn't sell that much, HD DVD is dead. etc. etC., eTC., ETC.

Sigh... you know we do this to ourselves right? First of all, Blu-Ray fans... if you didn't like it when HD DVD fanbois all but pissed down your throats about how HD DVD was going to win it all back in 06, why do you insist on doing the same thing to HD DVD fans in 07? At this point, there still could be a change in sales and who knows... maybe HD DVD could possibly get the lead again. What happens then? Instead of being the bigger person, you've now perpetuated the furthering of mindless dribble smack which does nothing but inflame people even more.

And you HD DVD fans. You all complained about how there was tons of doom and gloom threads back in March for HD DVD. And now you guys do the same thing and post doom and gloom threads about Pirates failing, PS3 attach rates, etc. You guys didn't like it. Yet you do it to Blu-Ray fans.

ALL that BOTH sides are doing is creating more drama than necessary. All for what? shits and giggles? I know for damn sure that there are at least 5 people in these forums who do it only becaue they want to rile up the other side.

I know probably my rant here will result in no change whatsoever because in the end, it just seems like the majority of you just love to argue. You guys must be real bored or something. But I feel it has to be said.

And because of that, I ask of one thing from you guys. STOP BITCHING about it... you guys are doing it to each other and yourselves. So complaining about how the other side is doing something is only pointing to your side doing the same fucking thing only in different topics.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Banned

In fairness, I thought the PS3 would be a huge hit by default and would utterly obliterate HD DVD.

Of course, that didn't happen.

We all bitch because smackdown is fun.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM

I just come in to post because I am not too busy at work at the moment. This is cheaper than online shopping.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
We all bitch because smackdown is fun.
I guess that's where I have a problem. Smackdown can be fun if it's done in the spirit of open discussion. What we have instead is fanboi threads that don't do that. All they're meant to do is incite riots because the only responses that you can have against those types of comments is inflamatory back in nature.

Smackdown is not an open license to be a jerk. And frankly, that's what's going on. People are using the term "smackdown" to justify themselves for being jerks and posting jerk threads.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Great post. Agree with just about everything you said. I find myself getting more and more frustrated with this site and hanging out in AVS more and more (although that site is no better). It seems like we talk about the same crap over and over again here and we rarely focus on the real differences of the two formats.

That said I will be surprised if many folks from either side can "be the bigger man" and take your post to heart...
Old 06-08-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
At this point, there still could be a change in sales and who knows... maybe HD DVD could possibly get the lead again. What happens then?
If HD dvd finds a way to regain the sales lead this year for any length of time, Universal will not go neutral anytime soon - and that means many blu-ray only supporters will buy an Hd dvd player, become dual format and sing Kumabaya while holding hands.

Then again, Pigs are just as likely to start flying.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz123 View Post
If HD dvd finds a way to regain the sales lead this year for any length of time, Universal will not go neutral anytime soon - and that means many blu-ray only supporters will buy an Hd dvd player, become dual format and sing Kumabaya while holding hands.

Then again, Pigs are just as likely to start flying.
you see, this is the stuff i'm talking about. How much did you enjoy it back in October of 06 when HD DVD fanbois were pissing down your throat with comments like this? And look what happened? Blu-Ray came out like gangbusters. I'm not saying whether it's likely or not that HD DVD comes back to overtake the lead... but I *AM* saying that we don't know the future. Who knows? And the point is because of that unknown, do you really want to be with that kind of attitude now? Just so that it can be thrown back at you someday?

Kharma's a bitch... and she's a vindictive bitch. Just think about it.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 PM

In all seriousness, I agree with a lot you are saying Bear. The mindless flame-bait thread starters are what get to me the most.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM

You are quite right Bear. I have seen people telling others to goto Hell; call them illiterate and much worst. Fanboi will push as far as they possibly can; it is your job as moderator to stop this type of personal and offensive attack, and to enforce the smackdown guidelines… perhaps you should have a set of 3 warnings rule or something?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
It strikes me as very funny, but we do things to ourselves and then we complain about it. WTF am I talking about?

Ok, I see complaints all the time about fanboi threads. We see threads for instance of how Universal can/will go neutral. We see threads like PS3 attach rate for BD is low, so Blu-Ray will fail. We also see Xbox 360 failure rate is 61%. Or HD DVD is putting drives into their laptops so that means they're here to stay. We see my local store has stopped carrying format X so they're good as dead. We see Pirates is tanking. We see Matrix didn't sell that much, HD DVD is dead. etc. etC., eTC., ETC.

Sigh... you know we do this to ourselves right? First of all, Blu-Ray fans... if you didn't like it when HD DVD fanbois all but pissed down your throats about how HD DVD was going to win it all back in 06, why do you insist on doing the same thing to HD DVD fans in 07? At this point, there still could be a change in sales and who knows... maybe HD DVD could possibly get the lead again. What happens then? Instead of being the bigger person, you've now perpetuated the furthering of mindless dribble smack which does nothing but inflame people even more.

And you HD DVD fans. You all complained about how there was tons of doom and gloom threads back in March for HD DVD. And now you guys do the same thing and post doom and gloom threads about Pirates failing, PS3 attach rates, etc. You guys didn't like it. Yet you do it to Blu-Ray fans.

ALL that BOTH sides are doing is creating more drama than necessary. All for what? shits and giggles? I know for damn sure that there are at least 5 people in these forums who do it only becaue they want to rile up the other side.

I know probably my rant here will result in no change whatsoever because in the end, it just seems like the majority of you just love to argue. You guys must be real bored or something. But I feel it has to be said.

And because of that, I ask of one thing from you guys. STOP BITCHING about it... you guys are doing it to each other and yourselves. So complaining about how the other side is doing something is only pointing to your side doing the same fucking thing only in different topics.
Great thread, bear! I have asked some BD people why they do this or that, and I hear a lot of "Well you were not here when . . ." I know it's human nature to want to "get back" but it can go way to the extreme.

Don't forget what I told you a couple of days ago: some people come here just because they think that smackdown = being an asshole. They delight in being childish, their idea of an argument is just trying to be a bully, and they are going to keep doing it no matter what.

Your thread is 100% correct, right, though!