Regardless of which format wins, does it really matter in the long term? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Regardless of which format wins, does it really matter in the long term?

Since the beginning of these forums both sides have constantly argued that the other is throwing their cash down the toilet by buying a format that will no longer be supported in the future. My issue with this is simple...wouldn't most players a few years from now support the dead format? Think about it, obviously DVD players couldn't support laserdisc because of the size, and VHS and beta had a similar size issue. But Blu-Ray and HD DVD are the same size and use the same blue laser technology, and dual-format units have already emerged. It would seem logical to me that once prices come down and a single format eventually emerges, new players from that point would support both, similar to DVD players today supporting VCD (mpeg video burned on a standard 700mb disc).

Some will argue that it wouldn't be logical price-wise for manufacturers to do so, but once high-def reaches the current price levels of DVD, I don't see it being an issue, especially from cheaper Asian CE manufacturers. Your current player may become a paperweight, but who actually plans on using their current player 5 years from now? By then you could probably get one more advanced for $90.

So while I'm obviously not dual-format myself, I think the bashing of the other side for their personal choice is retarded. Let's argue the differences between the formats and which one should win, not whether or not people are being financially irresponsible.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 AM

I agree with you. I find it silly to argue about the two formats and trying to tell people who's wasting their money and not.

People make their choices. Some stay Blu-ray, some stay HD-DVD and some go dual. Respect to all those, if you ask me. The two formats are almost identical and sport identical picture quality. I don't mind debating the two formats, it's movies or what's going on in the war. But i find it alarming how much hate and fanboy threads are made, purely to mock the other format.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 AM

I think that dual format players will not be the norm in the end, because of the extra cost in manufacturing them. But I think that if a single format survives this stupid war, it will end up being relatively the same regardless of which format it is.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:29 AM

I don't think the most popular BD player, the PS3 (or even the PS4), will ever support HD DVDs whether or not BD (or HD DVD) fails as an HD video format. However, the PS3 (like the Xbox 360 and Apple TV) might be used as a VOD device.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 AM

I believe alot of the format fanboyism are stem from the console war zone. If neither PS3 nor 360 support both format, 90% of the fanboys will not be here trolling, 90% of topics would be discussed more rationally, 90% of topics would target BDA rather than Sony for their Blu-ray squabbles, 90% of people here wouldn’t care about the format war and etc and etc.

On the dual format front, my point of view is that dual format is no no for consumers, because the cost of supporting, manufacturing, producing, marketing, distributing the two formats are ultimately pass on to us. If we want to see HD media as low cost as DVD in 5 years time, one format must go.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:53 AM

I'm sorry, but my self-esteem is directly related to how well my format is doing.

I feel the need to make others feel inferior for supporting what is CLEARLY an inferior product. I also feel the need to act as an unpaid representative of the glorious corporations that manufacture and support the format I have personally started to worship.

If the format war loses, what will I do with the logo I had tattooed on my ass?

Please, let's never discuss the end of the format war again - it hurts too much to think about.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing360p View Post

On the dual format front, my point of view is that dual format is no no for consumers, because the cost of supporting, manufacturing, producing, marketing, distributing the two formats are ultimately pass on to us. If we want to see HD media as low cost as DVD in 5 years time, one format must go.
I disagree. Nobody has to support, manufacture, market, or distribute two separate formats of movies. Each studio can pick one they are most comfortable making movies for. That's the beauty of a dual format player when they come down in cost.

Eventually both sides will realize they have to lower their hardware royalty costs so universal players can be made at reasonable prices.

Last edited by Commander Damit; 06-08-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinius_rex View Post
I think that dual format players will not be the norm in the end, because of the extra cost in manufacturing them. But I think that if a single format survives this stupid war, it will end up being relatively the same regardless of which format it is.
Yeah your right and there are no players that currently support dvix. Another loser from the 90's. You are crazy to think that the cost in 2 years much less 5 years is going to be that more significant. If there is a demand for a product then someone will make it. I still see cassette decks on the market and that format went away along time ago. Not to mention that I read and I don't have the site info that a company has now developed a dual blue lazer so that there is no need two independent lazers anymore in a dual format player.

Last edited by Monty HD; 06-08-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Damit View Post
I disagree. Nobody has to support, manufacture, market, or distribute two separate formats of movies. Each studio can pick one they are most comfortable making movies for. That's the beauty of a dual format player when they come down in cost.

Eventually both sides will realize they have to lower their hardware royalty costs so universal players can be made at reasonable prices.

You view is true in regional level, but not practical in global view as Japan and Asia are mostly Blu-ray territories, Europe will most likely have a higher percentage of Blu-ray vs HD-DVD than in North America. North America is let say 3:1 by the end of the year. If you want to release movies globally, stick by one format would not be able to maximize sales; it has to support both formats, and that cost is most certainly passed on to us.

The longer the format war, the longer from either side has to recoup their losses and investment, the longer they will have to wait to lower any royalty costs.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing360p View Post
You view is true in regional level, but not practical in global view as Japan and Asia are mostly Blu-ray territories, Europe will most likely have a higher percentage of Blu-ray vs HD-DVD than in North America. North America is let say 3:1 by the end of the year. If you want to release movies globally, stick by one format would not be able to maximize sales; it has to support both formats, and that cost is most certainly passed on to us.

The longer the format war, the longer from either side has to recoup their losses and investment, the longer they will have to wait to lower any royalty costs.
Recoup losses, that might be difficult at this stage of the game. Had we had price stability (meaning higher prices) along with stronger disc sales I say that each party MIGHT recover costs. However will a dollar loss on each sale, along with weak sales, we're looking at YEARS before there is a positive balance.

Look at it this way, the Sony Games loss of 2BILLION last year pretty much wiped out all their profits for the last 5 years, at least.

Per unit profits are not as high as we'd like to think. To push sales Sony was forced to cut the price of PS2 back in 2003, profits have been razer thin.