I am sick and tired of BD fanboys constantly saying "If Universal becomes neutral..." - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-08-2007, 01:44 AM

Default I am sick and tired of BD fanboys constantly saying "If Universal becomes neutral..."

I am sick and tired of BD fanboys constantly saying "If Universal becomes neutral...".
Almost every time I read a thread there is some idiot saying those words.

Therefore I have likened the format to two friends who are betting on something. One is laid back and relaxed because he analyses the field of future influences and sees the masses doing what they have always done time and time again (which is buying the cheapest thing as they don't have money to throw around) and makes his bet knowing that probability is on his side. The other friend has taken the bet because he thinks if the one thing that supports the other side falls he will win the bet. The problem with his thinking is he sees the number of things that have to go his way and chooses that side because he thinks that there is more chance of one thing going wrong and he has won compared to many for the other guy. He however is not thinking of the likelihood of that happening.

Imagine if you will two balls the same size and weight sitting atop a pillar. In fact make one on top one pillar and the other on three all connected at the top. If you were to bet which one would fall first some might bet on the one with many pillars. But what they are not taking into account are the materials that the pillars are made of.

The friend that is relaxed knows that his pillar (say made of concrete) will last for ages and the other pillars (say made of plaster) look the same but will break and the ball will fall sooner. The relaxed guy bides his time with the knowledge that he is safe. All the while the other guy is constantly saying I've got three compared to your one, I'm going to win.

The point I'm trying to make is think about the consumer as they will decide this format way and not the studios. Thank You.

Last edited by Bioevil087; 06-08-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 AM

Whatever...read the Bill Hunt article over at thedigitalbits. BD is winning. 2:1 ratio, at least. And it's growing all the time. You boys may as well be investing in Betamax.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:56 AM

Why can't blu-ray companies directly price compete if it becomes necessary? What other market advantage does hd dvd have over blu-ray? They have far less studio support (3/8 versus 7/8 major studios), far less CE support, they trail in install base, rate of player sales, total movies sold, movies sold in 2007 (2-1), current rate of movies sold, technical specifications, the PC market, current blockbusters available and box-office hits coming soon.

The reason bd supporters say "if Universal moves to neutral" (which most don't expect to happen this year anyway) is because this single move would effectively end the war (while increasing Universal's hd sales significantly).

Hd dvd currently has the price advantage because Toshiba has no other choice in order to sell players (If hd dvd were the same price as blu-ray, it would be much further behind). But if hd dvd were suddenly to gain major traction due to low prices and consumer demand (despite less than half studio support), blu-ray companies (especially Sony and Panasonic) could easily lower their prices to match any gains made (since the actual manufacturing costs are close to the same anyway). In other words, these formats weren't created equally and blu-ray has inherent, real advantages.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:59 AM

You are so right. The consumers are setting a trend of 2:1 sales ratio and increasing. Hope this will end the stupid format war.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing360p View Post
You are so right. The consumers are setting a trend of 2:1 sales ratio and increasing. Hope this will end the stupid format war.
Well I personally have bough Pirates 1+2, Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Identity and Blood Diamond in the last week couple weeks, that should help.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioevil087 View Post
I am sick and tired of BD fanboys constantly saying "If Universal becomes neutral...".
Almost every time I read a thread there is some idiot saying those words.
I am willing to bet there are more idiots here who post that Disney and Fox are going neutral first..
Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 AM

You are so tired of hearing about Universal going neutral, so what do you do?? You start a thread about it

Well, since you brought it up, I think this holiday season will be the tell tale sign. If BD continues to outsell HD DVD 70:30, I would be surprised if Universal did not go neutral in 2008. They are the only major studio not supporting Blu-Ray, and NBC/Universal is not exactly having a great year for television ratings and movie releases. I think they will really be feeling the pressure if Blu continues to dominate in movie sales.

Toshiba continues to play their trump card. Price players as cheap as possible and prey that they can grow the owner base big enough to keep Universal exclusive and also hope to win over a BD studio or two into neutrality.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 AM

You know guys, if Universal becomes neutral...it will probably happen near the end of this year, CES 2008 in January at the latest.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 AM

The top selling BD discs are cheaper than the top selling HD DVD discs.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post
You know guys, if Universal becomes neutral...it will probably happen near the end of this year, CES 2008 in January at the latest.
I would think CES 2008 at the earliest, but I think there could be a good chance of this depending on the end of this year. Remember, MS is absorbing most of the damage Blu-ray is doing to Toshiba and Universal.