Who will lose the format war? Sony. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Who will lose the format war? Sony.

Sony will lose the format war. Actually, they might have already lost it but are still fighting.

Now, I didn't say BD will lose but just Sony. Even if BD becomes the format of choice, Sony still loses. Why? Because in about 5 years no one will be buying DVDs, HD DVDs or BD anymore. Cable and/or phone companies are quickly closing the gap with HD movies, terabytes of content and cheaper prices to view the same material.

The format war does nothing except push away the consumer from either format because they want to wait it out and then buy the winner. By the time that happens they won't care. They will be pushing a button on their set top box remote to get a movie.

But, Sony bet the farm on Blu Ray. The tried to push it into consumers home via their game console. As a result, they will lose the console wars. They will be left to make TVs and Walkmans and Spiderman sequels.

Toshiba will go off and make whatever other stuff they make and Universal will still make movies. But, Sony will have lost the console game market and that is a key market for their future.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 PM

People enjoy a physical product. The concept of 'owning the rights to' information isn't too well liked right now.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Owning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
People enjoy a physical product. The concept of 'owning the rights to' information isn't too well liked right now.
Never stopped anyone from watching broadcast television. Besides the studios love the VOD model because they can fully manage the digital rights.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
If dowloading movies was more user friendly and I could store them on my hard drive, then I would rather do that, as long as I was entitled to re-download my library, if I purchased a new PC, or it crashed. I have a front projector, my PC is already hooked up to my projector, so watching movies would be a lot easier for me that way.

They have 1,000 GB hard drives now, you could store a crapload of video and audion on an HD that size. Then you could also purchase a 500 GB mobile hard drive, to take with you to friend's houses, or on the road. In the future, that will be an awesome way of viewing movies.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Digital Distribution Age
Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Right now downloading HIGH def movies unfeasible, at the size of the filesx it would DAYS to download one. Even T1 or FiOS optical takes some 5 or 6 hours to download an HD movie.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Downloading movies is a ways away to becoming widely accepted. I need something physical in my hand, not virtual on a HD. If that Hard Drive were to die, and believe me the failure rate is not low, Im stuck re-downloading all those movies, or worse they are lost completely.

As far as your analogy for broadcast television, broadcast TV is free, you don't have to pay for it.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gorilla View Post
Right now downloading HIGH def movies unfeasible, at the size of the filesx it would DAYS to download one. Even T1 or FiOS optical takes some 5 or 6 hours to download an HD movie.
It was almost impossible to download audio at one time, it's called progression. 10 years ago they probably thought it was impossible to have a home PC with a 1,000 GB hard drive. In a few years, someone will figure out a better and fast way to DL HD movies.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
Downloading movies is a ways away to becoming widely accepted. I need something physical in my hand, not virtual on a HD. If that Hard Drive were to die, and believe me the failure rate is not low, Im stuck re-downloading all those movies, or worse they are lost completely.

As far as your analogy for broadcast television, broadcast TV is free, you don't have to pay for it.
The costs for movies would go down as well, there would be no "production costs", no physical product to manufacture. It would almost be all profit for the studios. A movie that costs $30 on HD-DVD would likely be about half to DL. They will find a way to speed up the DL speeds. Look at DSL and cable modem, compared to dial-up. It's just takes a little time.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 PM

Hopefully DVD loses the format war.