Dual format players and their effect on the war. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Dual format players and their effect on the war.

If dual format becomes accepted and the norm this could turn out to be the best possible outcome for Sony as I believe the result is BR would mostly win. My suspicion is if HD DVD really takes off this holiday or even if BR does quite pitifully we will see more CE companies set to offer a dual format player. As it stands it seems to me offering exclusively HD DVD or BR players only really benefit those with a big vested interest in the product like Sony, Panasonic or Toshiba. Others like Pioneer, Samsung, LG, Onkyo and others have to pull down a profit on selling these and I think they're seeing right now offering dual format seems to be the only road to that right now.
I will say if dual format doesn't sell well enough and people keep nagging the BR exclusive studios all except Sony will most likely go neutral. I have a suspicion if they drop reasonably fast enough they will take off.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
If dual format becomes accepted and the norm this could turn out to be the best possible outcome for Sony as I believe the result is BR would mostly win. My suspicion is if HD DVD really takes off this holiday or even if BR does quite pitifully we will see more CE companies set to offer a dual format player. As it stands it seems to me offering exclusively HD DVD or BR players only really benefit those with a big vested interest in the product like Sony, Panasonic or Toshiba. Others like Pioneer, Samsung, LG, Onkyo and others have to pull down a profit on selling these and I think they're seeing right now offering dual format seems to be the only road to that right now.
I will say if dual format doesn't sell well enough and people keep nagging the BR exclusive studios all except Sony will most likely go neutral. I have a suspicion if they drop reasonably fast enough they will take off.
Why would you think Dual would benefit BD? Especially when Warner has a stake in HD (via DVD patents that they own)? Wouldn't you think that if Warner realizes that the market supports both it could simply produce the lower cost HD disc, and avoid unwanted license fees?

/Yes, that may be the reason why Warner hasn't been so nice to BD.
//it's all about money, follow the money trail
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 AM

I support HD DVD with the future as dual format. I got the 360 add-on knowing that if HD DVD win's, I'm set. If Blu-ray wins, I'll always have the 360 hooked up so I can always watch my HD DVDs. And if it's dual format, then just like if Blu-ray wins, I'd expect to see a Blu-ray or Combo Add-on. I think that a combo player will allow studios to choose the format which best suits the content and the consumer just has one HD movie choice.

Alternatively, I could also see them releasing HD/DVD combos as a transitional format dropping DVD only all together, and having BD as a high-def only release.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 AM

First and foremost dual format players are a benefit to the consumer, because once you have one the format war is mostly irrelevant. In terms of what happens with the discs themselves if Dual becomes the standard for stand alone players; I think the studios would gravitate towards the less expensive format (i.e. higher margin), whatever that happens to be for them.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 PM

Expect dual format players to be more expensive and to have some glitches. I am not in a rush to buy a dual format player until the prices drop and they prove to be solid machines.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM

The only niche i would see for a duel player would be if you have a hd-add-on and you would like a better hd-dvd player and you want blu-ray
It probly could effect the other owners blu-ray or hd-dvd owners but they are more likely to get a standalone of the other format. Some one who just want to get into the HiDef with entering the main part of the war
Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM

Dual Players will be the norm. I wish they were priced low right now, I'd pickup one in a heart beat, and so would everyone else who didn't want a PS3.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:34 AM

Because of licensing and material costs, I expect a dual format player should be able to hit an MSRP of $899 with actual selling prices closer to $850 sometime this Christmas. By next year, it might be able to come down to $599.

I think a lot of HD DVD fans are confused at how difficult it is to make a combo player, because they're getting so used to Toshiba's subsidizing their players by $200-$300 that they think it's actually a cheap and affordable process.

There will have to be some MAJOR changes in technology, licensing, and adoption rates before we can see dual format players even hit the $600 mark, which is why I say it should happen around the end of 2008.

This is all basically to say that I don't expect dual format players to make any actual difference in the war.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Banned

The war in Iraq?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
The war in Iraq?
Are you trying to be funny? Thousands and thousands of lives have been lost in Iraq, many of them women and children and mothers and fathers. Even trying to compare this idiotic format war to a real war with real bullets flying around is very disrespectful on your part. If you don't have anything meaningful to post, then do everybody a favor and do not post anything.

For the record, I am an Army veteran, and I know people that have either been wounded or killed in Iraq.