What is the Real Impact of Audio Quality, Especially to JSP? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Default What is the Real Impact of Audio Quality, Especially to JSP?

I realize that many of you guys here probably have $10K plus home theather systems with subwoofers that probably cost more than my entire audio set up (JVC 6.1 receiver ($400) with an Onkyo speaker package ($400) - sounds plenty good to me though)...My PS3 has an optical connection to my receiver.

There are have been many discussions on lossy vs lossless, enhanced DTS and DD formats, etc and how much better they sound than gold ole' DD.

But for folks like me and maybe JSP who probably has a HTIB system from Walmart that costs under $200 (actually most people I know play their DVD's through their TV speakers), will any of these enhanced audio formats make that much of a difference?

To be honest, I personally have not paid much attention to the audio portion of the format war since what I have now is good enough for us so I have pretty much ignored most of the threads about audio...

how much of a noticeable difference is there using these new formats? do you need a super expensive setup to notice?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 AM

I do not think J6P will care a lot about the Audio quality.
A lot of the times I find it very funny that some audio fanatics on this forum are disscussing how a format will win the over the other because of audio compression and at the end I do not think J6P will be bother to pay attention to the difference or the theory behind.
He will be more interested with PQ ( to a normal extension ) and also the new menues.
However, I do not think you need to have a $10.000 set up in order to enjoy good audio quality either.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Zip, zero, nadda, do not care.

While not a beer drinking guy, I cannot sit through a home movie w.o my two kids yapping. Late at night, I keep the volume low so as not to wake up the kids. If I want great sound I go to movie threatres.

Welcome to family time.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
I do not think J6P will care a lot about the Audio quality.
A lot of the times I find it very funny that some audio fanatics on this forum are disscussing how a format will win the over the other because of audio compression and at the end I do not think J6P will be bother to pay attention to the difference or the theory behind.
He will be more interested with PQ ( to a normal extension ) and also the new menues.
However, I do not think you need to have a $10.000 set up in order to enjoy good audio quality either.
I think I just saw a pig fly by my window

I pretty much agree with everything you just posted (except for the interest in the new menus, IMO most people just want to watch the movie w/ the best PQ available to them)...

I think my $800 setup does a more then decent job...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:02 AM

I would have to say, a few years ago when our family upgraded to a 5.1 system, I just about fell over laughing when the newer 6.1 and 7.1 systems were being advertised. I guess in the future they could come out with a 22.1 system and you could have a continuous line of speakers around the room!

I just don't see how the average joe will be as impressed with the HD audio as the HD video.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM

I just don't believe the average joe cares that much about sound...of course it should sound good, but with all these cheap "home theater in a box" style speaker and receiver packages, I think most of the market is satisfied with what they have. My father just runs his DVDs straight through a 2-channel Sony stereo system, and always tells me how great his system sounds. My father couldn't tell you the difference between DD and DTS, let alone any of the new ones, let alone HEAR the difference in any of them.

For JSP, PQ and price are what will make the difference...everyone loves the new HDTVs, and most people can see the difference between HD and SD programming, but for some reason, people just don't seem to be able to hear the difference, and even if they can, they are not interested in paying an extra $500+ for a receiver and speakers.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Where is Doby?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz123 View Post
Where is Doby?
I think he was banned last week...we all know he would have been all over this!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM

I care very much about the new audio systems, but I believe you have to have a really good setup, for it really to matter. I feel sorry for all those ppl who are talking so much about how important it is with lossless on the movies, when they are actually listning to movies on a cheap setup. Ofcause they will hear some minor differents, but still it well never come close to a reagular DD track on a highend setup. I think it's a bit like CD vs vinyl - even on the cheapest setup there will be some different, but the better setup you have the more of a different there will be.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM

The true selling point to HD DVD and Blu-ray is Picture. Many will not know or care about sound and those that do will be happy with regular old 5.1 DTS or Dolby Surround.

If nothing else the PCM and the TrueHD is just confusing not only to the Average Joe but to audiophiles as well. Bass management issues? Which does 7.1 to 5.1 HDMI? People over at AVS are still confused on which and what receiver can do what and how many channels.

I actually bought into the PCM and shelled out an extra $1000 for my 987 and I am happy but I am still considering on taking it back. Don't get me wrong it sounds awesome but my previous reciever was no slouch. And I have not put my HK 7200 on ebay yet for this reason alone.

Damn you HDMI!!!!!