Why can't two video formats coexist but can in the gaming industry? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Why can't two video formats coexist but can in the gaming industry?

I'm not looking to make this thread about HD DVD vs Blu-ray, but I would like to know why can't two video formats coexist for movies? I ask this because I see that in the gaming industry there seems to be a variety of players and the same games are released across different formats. So why do movie studios end up taking sides with the different video formats but video games are released across the board and different players are always available.

My last gaming systems were the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, I am out of touch with todays games
Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 PM

It's a little different as games are always released for sale directly to home. By contrast, everyone can enjoy films in the theater (or on tv)... It annoys consumers more that you might be able to get a favorite film on one high quality format but not another, with your only other choice being far lower quality alternatives.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 PM

It just doesnt. Maybe the genesis and super nintendo was the precedent that allowed different formats to be accepted. In the movie world any person would be annoyed having a copy of an HD movie that wont play on their friends HD player cause its a different HD format.
Also videogame selection is alot smaller than movie selection and retailers dont have the space to keep 3-4+ versions(along with DVD and special editions) of the same movie.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 PM

We have multiple formats:
On optical:
DVD
Blu-Ray

On digital distro we have:
On demand/PPV via your cable/sat company
Streaming
Downloads

Over the last 12 months we are starting to see many of these technologies converge with BD players that can also stream. I personally do not really see a need for another medium at this time.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 PM

I agree with Elee s. I hate the fact that I have to buy a whole different console just so I can enjoy one or two games created and released exclusively on that system. We just have to live with it in that realm and I'm glad we don't in home video.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 PM

Not me, a monopolizer (MS would likely be no different but they didn't try to launch a console at $600 either) like Sony wouldn't have lowered the price of the PS3 by 33% as quickly as they did if not for the competition.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Not me, a monopolizer (MS would likely be no different but they didn't try to launch a console at $600 either) like Sony wouldn't have lowered the price of the PS3 by 33% as quickly as they did if not for the competition.
I disagree. It would have taken longer perhaps to lower the price than it did but it would have to come down. I don't know about you parents out there but I wouldn't spend $600.00 on my kids console.

They would play with the old PS2 until the price came within my cost comfort zone for such a thing. Heck I didn't spend $600 on my PS3, I got it for $425 with two controllers and Ricky Bobby (what the hell was up with that I ask). My comfort zone for my kids purchases is lower than that. I'm cheap that way.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 PM

Yea, they would have languished but they could just create a 2-tier system whereas the have-nots can continue with the PS2 and the Sony courtesans can jump into luxury with the PS3. I have little interest in Sony consoles, so I would have continued to ignore what was on the market (I prefer the road less traveled, long live Sega). As far as being cheap is concerned, it's certainly beneficial to one's own economic well-being...until you become an audiophile or videophile and have difficulty settling for less than the best whereby your well-being goes down the tubes.

I wonder how many sit on the sidelines due to uneasiness about how long their purchase will be viable if one of the competitors throws in the towel.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Yea, they would have languished but they could just create a 2-tier system whereas the have-nots can continue with the PS2 and the Sony courtesans can jump into luxury with the PS3. I have little interest in Sony consoles, so I would have continued to ignore what was on the market (I prefer the road less traveled, long live Sega). As far as being cheap is concerned, it's certainly beneficial to one's own economic well-being...until you become an audiophile or videophile and have difficulty settling for less than the best whereby your well-being goes down the tubes.

I wonder how many sit on the sidelines due to uneasiness about how long their purchase will be viable if one of the competitors throws in the towel.
As usual Vinnie, very good points one and all. And for the record I wasn't a Playstation guy either, Nintendo being my staple but damn Sega was great. But with the new gen of games I kind of got hooked, and there was a short peried in my early twenties when I went through that Anti-Microsoft thing so viola Playstation caught me.

Now I'm to tired at the end of each day to jump around like an idiot with a Wii. *LOL*
Old 07-31-2009, 09:35 PM

haha, fair enough. You've been full circle.

I've only ever owned Sega consoles (many) and now MS...I guess you could say I'm more guilty of favoritism than yourself.