What will make HD discs REALLY sell? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM

Default What will make HD discs REALLY sell?

Hey, First off I'm new to these boards.

I have a Blu-Ray player and around 15 Blu ray discs, and I was wondering what will make HD discs really start selling well. I started to think about this after seeing the poor POTC BR sales and I'm wondering what your guys opinions on this subject are.

I honestly think the only way that a HD disc will ever sell a large amount of copies is if a studio ever has the balls to release an high profile title (Not an Old Title aka the Matrix) JUST on an HD platform and not on standard DVD.

So what do you guys think?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

What will make HD Discs really sell you ask?

The existence of only one HD Disc format to choose from will.

This war is confusing consumers and is on the road to ensuring that HD Discs do not become the primary home video distribution format. MS is propping up the losing side to make this happen to advance their own agenda.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Whne the price for a HD-disc is the same as SD DVD, I think a lot of people would wanna buy a HD-player. And in a couple of years when you can get old releases for $5 or less we will see the big boom, just as it happened to SD DVD.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonzo View Post
Whne the price for a HD-disc is the same as SD DVD,

That will never happen because as prices go down for the HD discs, prices will be going down for DVDs.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
What will make HD Discs really sell you ask?

The existence of only one HD Disc format to choose from will.

This war is confusing consumers and is on the road to ensuring that HD Discs do not become the primary home video distribution format. MS is propping up the losing side to make this happen to advance their own agenda.
But I don't honestly one format will become the ONLY format until HD disc sales start dramatically increasing.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardsgonewild View Post
I honestly think the only way that a HD disc will ever sell a large amount of copies is if a studio ever has the balls to release an high profile title (Not an Old Title aka the Matrix) JUST on an HD platform and not on standard DVD.
That would take balls the kind of which I have never seen! To release a movie on a format which makes up 1% of your sales? When players for the format are still at $300? While that might drive sales up a little, it would destroy the sales right now. There is a difference between having balls and slitting your wrists.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:28 PM

Prices are too high.. It is that simple. People do not want to pay $10+ more than the DVD version.. I wish the studios would get their acts together..

Kill the combos. All studios should drop their price to $27 MSRP ($20-22 street price) for new releases and $20 MSRP on catalog titles ($14-17 street price).
Old 06-03-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
That would take balls the kind of which I have never seen! To release a movie on a format which makes up 1% of your sales? When players for the format are still at $300? While that might drive sales up a little, it would destroy the sales right now. There is a difference between having balls and slitting your wrists.
I'm not saying do this right now, I'm saying that a studio should do this when the oppertunnity presents itself.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM

1) HD TV sets becoming the standard TV in a home (not true by any means yet). Most people aren't going to care if their DVD player is HD or not if they can't tell the difference on their TV. Furthermore, size is probably a factor too... personally, I can tell SOME difference between HD and not on a 27" TV, but on a 50" (or larger) the difference is immediately and dramatically obvious.

2) A single format. For any consumer out there that has half a clue about what's going on, the fact that there's two formats is a huge deterrent. People on this forum may have accepted that they may be stuck with dead technology when one wins out, but most people aren't ok with being stuck on the losing side of another Betamax fight.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM

The way I see it there are only two possible outcomes:

1 - HD DVD becomes so cheap that people buy it by default. The same could happen to blu-ray, but it seems to be a long, long way behind on value for money currently.

2 - People decide they are happy with their cheap DVD players as they quite frankly look fine upscaled on a regular sized screen anyway. Both HD formats remain niche as Laser Disc did.

I'd put my money on option 2.