The Truth Behind Matrix/POTC sales, they both Suck - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Default The Truth Behind Matrix/POTC sales, they both Suck

Yeah baby. As the Titanic sinks HD moves deck chairs aft and the BD folks are playing in the band.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/whip060207.htm

And a great point is made, if BD has such a huge installed base vs HD (1.5 million vs 250K), why was the outsell so small?

Be that is it may, sales are dismal. Glad I'm not investing a lot of money into what could turn out to be this decades quadraphonic sound system.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:27 PM

I agree that sales were most likely lower than expected, but the Nielsen numbers do not capture the whole market for either format.

All this tells me is that there is most likely not room for two HD formats at this time. There is simply not a big enough market and not enough demand, and I suspect the format war is causing many people to sit out..

Something has to give. I really do not want to go back to watching DVD again, and I also not sold on HD on demand via the Internet..
Old 06-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I agree that sales were most likely lower than expected, but the Nielsen numbers do not capture the whole market for either format.

All this tells me is that there is most likely not room for two HD formats at this time. There is simply not a big enough market and not enough demand, and I suspect the format war is causing many people to sit out..

Something has to give. I really do not want to go back to watching DVD again, and I also not sold on HD on demand via the Internet..
The writer also made an interesting point regarding Fox and Disney. We all assume that they've pulled all releases because of the Crack, where the writer mentions they may have pulled simply because sales are too low to bother. Meaning the studios will focus on SDVD until Toshi and Sony finish beating each other up and play nice.

I've been worried about Fox and Disney being so quiet on HD, while they won't shut up about Apple TV downloads.

/I actually heard a "get off my lawn" comment today, off topic.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

This was exactly my point with my "PS3 owners stopped buying BD discs", and I was shot down by every BD fan.

The installed base of the PS3 has become a non issue, as someone pointed out, less than 1% of PS3 owners bought the two POTC discs.

If the installed base lived up to it's "hype", BD would be outselling HDDVD 4-5 fold without breaking a sweat. So this begs the question, either BD is selling very poor, or HDDVD is selling very well, I wonder if a BD fan would answer that?

Considering HDDVD's big release that week, a trilogy that's been released on DVD too many times to count and the safe assumption that every fan that ever wanted it already owns it, which broke almost even with two high profile disney releases that 1.5 million PS3 owners (plus stand alone owners) are able to buy, is very telling.

Considering HDDVDs installed base is around a half million, the sales of the matrix were pretty good. But, considering machines with bluray playback are well over 4 times that ammount, that is quite poor. And I know for certain disney is very dissapointed, dispite what they say in any press release.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post

Considering HDDVDs installed base is around a half million, the sales of the matrix were pretty good.
Not really. This was probably the most hyped HD DVD release to date. It'll sell far better when WB finally brings it out on Blu Ray.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
This was exactly my point with my "PS3 owners stopped buying BD discs", and I was shot down by every BD fan.

The installed base of the PS3 has become a non issue, as someone pointed out, less than 1% of PS3 owners bought the two POTC discs.

If the installed base lived up to it's "hype", BD would be outselling HDDVD 4-5 fold without breaking a sweat. So this begs the question, either BD is selling very poor, or HDDVD is selling very well, I wonder if a BD fan would answer that?

Considering HDDVD's big release that week, a trilogy that's been released on DVD too many times to count and the safe assumption that every fan that ever wanted it already owns it, which broke almost even with two high profile disney releases that 1.5 million PS3 owners (plus stand alone owners) are able to buy, is very telling.

Considering HDDVDs installed base is around a half million, the sales of the matrix were pretty good. But, considering machines with bluray playback are well over 4 times that ammount, that is quite poor. And I know for certain disney is very dissapointed, dispite what they say in any press release.
I want TotalHD, and I want all of us to buy only releases on TotalHD so Warner can show that HD users can play nice and allow everyone to have a piece of cake.

Yeah, some of you will cry "you got BD in my HD" or 'You got HD in my BD".

Me, I'll be happy when Star Wars and LoTR is on my home screen.

(From Post One, I've stated I'm not sure if either will be around long)
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmoviefan101 View Post
Not really. This was probably the most hyped HD DVD release to date. It'll sell far better when WB finally brings it out on Blu Ray.
Like the misery 23K of POTC?

Warner now has moved the release date of Matrix on BD to "later" from "The Fall". Rumour has it coming out in Spring 2008.

Sales Suck, both for HD but VC-1 was right, the PS3 affect doesn't really matter if PS3 users aren't buying in volume.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Like the misery 23K of POTC?

Warner now has moved the release date of Matrix on BD to "later" from "The Fall". Rumour has it coming out in Spring 2008.

Sales Suck, both for HD but VC-1 was right, the PS3 affect doesn't really matter if PS3 users aren't buying in volume.
Whenever WB does get around to releasing it, it'll sell far better. (At least 50% better I would guess, which would count as a large margin).

WB acknowledges that they get 60% of revenue from Blu Ray vs HD DVD... and they looked pretty silly to bring this out as a HD DVD only title this round.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmoviefan101 View Post
Yes really.

HDDVD has a 250k installed base, when you break down the retail price of the matrix set, it almost broke even with TWO of the POTC releases. Bluray has a 1.5 million + installed base in the USA.

So by your logic if the matrix set sold bad, POTC sold absolutly terrible.

Or maybe these companies are just realizing that forcing a format on people doesn't work as well as people CHOOSING a format.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yes really.

HDDVD has a 250k installed base, when you break down the retail price of the matrix set, it almost broke even with TWO of the POTC releases. Bluray has a 1.5 million + installed base in the USA.

So by your logic if the matrix set sold bad, POTC sold absolutly terrible.

Or maybe these companies are just realizing that forcing a format on people doesn't work as well as people CHOOSING a format.
For the last time, just because the PS3 is a Blu Ray player does not mean that everybody who bought it even intended to buy Blu Ray Movies.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club