Hi Definition Video Disc Market Penetration? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Hi Definition Video Disc Market Penetration?

Blu-ray or HD-DVD proponent I think we can all agree the market penetration of either format at this point is sparse. I was an early adopter of DVD and I remember waiting on Blockbuster ( whom I now hate ( lat fee ripoffs ), go NetFlix! ) to start renting DVDs; it seemed to take forever. Given that it took a while for DVD to gain mass appeal does anyone have the numbers for where DVD was in sales given the same time frame as Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Was DVD market penetration any greater at this point in time?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 AM

This is the scary question. There is no guarantee that either format will win. Something many seem to pretend isn't a threat.

The vast majority of consumers live in urban areas, these consumers will have access to HSnet connections, and the upgrades occurring all over the US and Canada will make HDVOD a real viable alternative in the next 15 months (I have it today, and it is nice, but it is only 720p and 5.1).

I believe that if Rogers, Bell, whoever, can push out enough PVRs that not only make TV nicer, but allow you to rent an HD movie while eating chips, then HiDef DVD has lost a major value.

I know a lot of people here spend a lot of their disposable income on movies, but most people rent. It is the blockbusters, NetFlix, Zips and locals that buy 50 copies of a movie to rent that really push up the numbers.

If people start renting online or direct, then disc media might be available, but it will be niche and so expensive. Like LPs today, you can buy...not cheap.

FYI: I should mention other players in the HDVOD market, Apple and MS, maybe Sony in the near future.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Super VHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
This is the scary question. There is no guarantee that either format will win. Something many seem to pretend isn't a threat.

The vast majority of consumers live in urban areas, these consumers will have access to HSnet connections, and the upgrades occurring all over the US and Canada will make HDVOD a real viable alternative in the next 15 months (I have it today, and it is nice, but it is only 720p and 5.1).

I believe that if Rogers, Bell, whoever, can push out enough PVRs that not only make TV nicer, but allow you to rent an HD movie while eating chips, then HiDef DVD has lost a major value.

I know a lot of people here spend a lot of their disposable income on movies, but most people rent. It is the blockbusters, NetFlix, Zips and locals that buy 50 copies of a movie to rent that really push up the numbers.

If people start renting online or direct, then disc media might be available, but it will be niche and so expensive. Like LPs today, you can buy...not cheap.

FYI: I should mention other players in the HDVOD market, Apple and MS, maybe Sony in the near future.

I too have this same view. How can high definition video compete with VOD already in millions of cable customers homes? No additional players costs to the consumer either. Why go out and buy a $300 HD DVD players when you can push a button on your remote and get the same thing?

The quality might not be as good as high definition DVD but it is good enough that consumers won't be able to tell the difference or pay extra money. Actually, VOD can get up to 38 MBps which is plenty of bandwidth for HD video.

This very well might be the second coming of Super VHS. Super VHS had a better quality picture with backward compatibility to VHS. Consumers didn't pay the extra money for the S-VHS players. There were some that did pay the extra money but it was a small minority of consumers just like with HD DVD and Beta Ray.