Low, low sales numbers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Low, low sales numbers

Here's some numbers from http://www.tvpredictions.com/whip060207.htm.

It says "If one looks further into the sales figures for the other movies release like Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, one sees sales about equal for both at less than 6,500 per for both Blu-Ray and HD for Iwo JIma and less than 2,800 for Flags."

Also, "Look at Fox which pulled all their announced releases and have not announced a new date for any of them. It is also possible that the discs sales were so low that they saw no reason to go to the expense to produce them."

The article's ending sentence: "Perhaps that is an omen of things to come, with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD being relegated to the dust bin of history."

I for one was extremely surprised about 'Letters' and 'Flags' selling so low. I mean, their still early releases and all, but I was expecting both formats to sell at LEAST 15, 000 copies each of both films. I mean they're both pretty popular, and a lot of people really liked them. I for one still think 'Letters from Iwo Jima' is tied for best film of 2006 (tied with Hollywoodland). So I just find it weird that people aren't buying these with all the HD DVD and Blu-Ray players now sold. What's going on???
Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Main reason is that both of these movies were released in a very packed week.
There is not enough market for High Defintion yet.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM

True, these movies would have sold better if it weren't for Pirates and Matrix hogging up many people's spending budget. They may do better next week. Still, it's a low number of sales considering how many players are out there (I consider the PS3 at 20% effectiveness of a standalone)
Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 PM

It's nice to see someone "professional" saying the same thing many of us have been, namely

1. Sales suck overall
2. Based on its smaller consumer base, HD DVD is actually more successful (i.e., it is reaching a greater percentage of its consumers than BD)

And lest anyone get too carried away on me, the most important thing I have to say (hence, it is number one above) is that SALES SUCK OVERALL.

BD fans: I know some HD DVD boys had it coming, what with their Matrix will outsell POTC stupidity, but you're bragging about 47000 total discs sold for two of the biggest grossing movies of the decade! That's just 23500 each - ugh.

I'm really shocked Flags and Letters sunk . . . wait, no I'm not. Back in March, I believe, I made a comment along the lines of "Why are these studios releasing so many quality titles on the same day?" We go weeks with one, maybe two, actually GOOD titles getting released - then BAM! On one day - and not even close to Father's Day! - we get

two POTC
two Matrix boxed sets
Flags
Letters
Mission Impossible 1 & 2
Apocalypto

And as result, we get paltry numbers. I am willing to bet almost everyone who owns a player for either format bought something, but with so many titles to choose from, decisions had to be made, and sales were spread thin.

There is a serious chance these two formats could both fail, PS3 or not.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Still, it's a low number of sales considering how many players are out there (I consider the PS3 at 20% effectiveness of a standalone)
I'm shocked! You are quoting a sensible and reasonable figure for PS3s as blu-ray players.

I take my hat off to you, bruce, you are a rare beast around these boards.

Last edited by Kid Banana; 06-02-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks. It's my best guess anyway.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmslives View Post
Back in March, I believe, I made a comment along the lines of "Why are these studios releasing so many quality titles on the same day?" We go weeks with one, maybe two, actually GOOD titles getting released - then BAM! On one day - and not even close to Father's Day! - we get

two POTC
two Matrix boxed sets
Flags
Letters
Mission Impossible 1 & 2
Apocalypto

And as result, we get paltry numbers. I am willing to bet almost everyone who owns a player for either format bought something, but with so many titles to choose from, decisions had to be made, and sales were spread thin.

After I read your comment I can see very clearly now that we are on a stage where all studios are experimenting with all sorts of titles and see what it works or not. Based on these numbers I guess Fox and Disney are right after all.
My advice to hardcore Blu rayers is that they should definitely stopped bragging with the big shots all the time because as much as everyone have them on their wish list that does not mean that studios are willing to waste the energy and money by releasing movies that do not sell.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmslives View Post
It's nice to see someone "professional" saying the same thing many of us have been, namely

1. Sales suck overall
2. Based on its smaller consumer base, HD DVD is actually more successful (i.e., it is reaching a greater percentage of its consumers than BD)

And lest anyone get too carried away on me, the most important thing I have to say (hence, it is number one above) is that SALES SUCK OVERALL.

BD fans: I know some HD DVD boys had it coming, what with their Matrix will outsell POTC stupidity, but you're bragging about 47000 total discs sold for two of the biggest grossing movies of the decade! That's just 23500 each - ugh.

I'm really shocked Flags and Letters sunk . . . wait, no I'm not. Back in March, I believe, I made a comment along the lines of "Why are these studios releasing so many quality titles on the same day?" We go weeks with one, maybe two, actually GOOD titles getting released - then BAM! On one day - and not even close to Father's Day! - we get

two POTC
two Matrix boxed sets
Flags
Letters
Mission Impossible 1 & 2
Apocalypto

I won't comment on your #2 point, but the rest of your post is pretty much spot-on in my opinion. Sales suck, and things aren't getting better. Pirates of the Caribbean *SHOULD* have sold 4x as much in my opinion, with both titles breaking the 100,000 disc mark. Matrix should have sold at least 60k combined.

And this is exactly why I think we need to end this format war, and focus ourselves on the greater good, which is of course *NOT* losing HiDef movie content as a consumer product before it can make it to the mass market.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinius_rex View Post
I won't comment on your #2 point, but the rest of your post is pretty much spot-on in my opinion. Sales suck, and things aren't getting better. Pirates of the Caribbean *SHOULD* have sold 4x as much in my opinion, with both titles breaking the 100,000 disc mark. Matrix should have sold at least 60k combined.

And this is exactly why I think we need to end this format war, and focus ourselves on the greater good, which is of course *NOT* losing HiDef movie content as a consumer product before it can make it to the mass market.
I don't think we have to be too worried about sales at this point. If there were no format war, we'd be looking at $1000 players and even lower sales as a result. HD DVD and Blu-ray have to wait for HDTV to get mainstream before they can. First things first.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 PM

This makes me wonder...does anyone know how much a studio invests to remaster and re-encode a movie in HD? It is outrageously expensive?

I'm not sure opening sales are the end all...of course they are important, but those titles can continue to sell, can't they? For instance, Batman Begins had been out for over 6 months when I bought my HD-DVD player. I snagged it up within a month of my purchase. And I have seen on other posts that Batman Begins is still among the most purchased HD-DVDs on the market. So while the inital sales may have been rather disappointing, I wonder what they have accumulated to now? Surely WB has made back the money they spent producing it on HD.

And while the Matrix was a disappointer, let's not forget WB will still release these titles individually down the road, and get another jolt with at least the first title. And yes, I know it hasn't been announced, but let's be logical about it.

I agree that numbers right now are disappointing, but what are we? A year in? Players are still outrageous? HDTVs are still making inroads into the US consumer market? Isn't it a little early to give up on HD discs? After all, disc sales are still climbing. I am sure it is higher now, but haven't over 2.5 million discs been sold between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD in the last year? While it doesn't touch DVD, does that mean the formats are going to be garbaged soon?

I disagree that these formats will fail...one probably will, but I don't think both will. Players are selling now as prices get more reasonable...once Blu-Ray hits that same price in the $200 to $300, range, they will start selling too, and disc sales will pick up. Universal, in spite of the poor disc sales, is remastering their titles with 4000 lines of resolution?? What is the point of this if they see no future in HD? And perhaps Fox really is waiting for BD-J.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are starting to get their ammo loaded, and I expect HEAVY promotions and battles for this Christmas season. I believe some big guns will be brought out. I am very optimistic for the future of HD, in spite of what might appear to be a slow start.