People Still Clueless About These Formats! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-02-2007, 05:00 PM

Default People Still Clueless About These Formats!

Well one thing is for sure after reading a ton of the posts from AintItCool News and that is that most people are still utterly clueless on both of these formats. Its mind boggling to see the same basic questions regarding thee formats come up again and again. These are people registered with AICN as well so these arent your totally ignorant internet users.

More and more I feel that price is going to be the single greatest issue behind marketing with everything else including specs, exclusive studios Etc.. falling much much farther down the totem pole. I think this puts HD DVD in a much better position overall for the rest of this year.

For those that havent looked at Harry's post on AICN, check it out and youll be flabergasted at how little most of these people know about these formats. Marketing needs to increase across the board for both of these formats.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM

most people probably don't care about this format war either way...they will wait until a winner is decided and go from there...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

Dude, this is how it is. Most people still aren't educated when it comes to DVD. Tech specs and numbers mean NOTHING, not even studio support, they never will, it's all about price and what the impulse buyers choose this christmas and next.

Example, When I told my friend I got HDDVD last year, he said he had one too, when I checked it out at his place, it was an upconverting sony DVD player.

Not to mention the silly stuff I've heard listening in on conversations at bestbuy or electronic stores from random people.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Some of my favorites:

1 - is it pointless to get either a hd or blu ray if your television only has 480p - 1080i capability?

2 - as PS3 games are Blu-Ray disc, so the comparison is pretty false as it's not a movie to movie comparrison. If we want to see the real numbers one would need to subtract all PS3 software that has been sold thus far from the numbers.

3 - ..and all kinds of confused! There's Blue Ray and HD DVD? I'm a savvy fuck..but can one of the "geeks" on this site tell me the difference between both and what the "F" I should buy? Please!! For instance...can my regular DVDs play on both formats and where the hell HD DVDs are sold? I mean..I've seen blue ray at Targee..but not HD DVD..or am i insane?

Sigh!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreFreak View Post
Some of my favorites:

1 - is it pointless to get either a hd or blu ray if your television only has 480p - 1080i capability?

2 - as PS3 games are Blu-Ray disc, so the comparison is pretty false as it's not a movie to movie comparrison. If we want to see the real numbers one would need to subtract all PS3 software that has been sold thus far from the numbers.

3 - ..and all kinds of confused! There's Blue Ray and HD DVD? I'm a savvy fuck..but can one of the "geeks" on this site tell me the difference between both and what the "F" I should buy? Please!! For instance...can my regular DVDs play on both formats and where the hell HD DVDs are sold? I mean..I've seen blue ray at Targee..but not HD DVD..or am i insane?

Sigh!
why does everyone in the world need to know the difference between blu ray and HD DVD??? If they don't care about it, why are you losing sleep over it???

if they really cared about, they would have researched it themselves..
Old 06-02-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post
Dude, this is how it is. Most people still aren't educated when it comes to DVD. Tech specs and numbers mean NOTHING, not even studio support, they never will, it's all about price and what the impulse buyers choose this christmas and next.

Example, When I told my friend I got HDDVD last year, he said he had one too, when I checked it out at his place, it was an upconverting sony DVD player.

Not to mention the silly stuff I've heard listening in on conversations at bestbuy or electronic stores from random people.
Well I have to admit I really thought that this uneducated phase would really begin to pass by now but I can clearly see that I was utterly wrong on this point. Dont get me wrong I have always said price was one of the most important factors, I just dont think I really realized how important price was until now. This only makes me respect Toshibas overall approach to HD DVD that much more more.

So I really have to agree with you and say that overall specs mean nothing, exclusive studio support not nearly as important as some are making it out to be. Its about price and what is on the shelf. Everything else is so far from these people's minds that it almost becomes irrelavant.

Last edited by HomeTheatreFreak; 06-02-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamz View Post
why does everyone in the world need to know the difference between blu ray and HD DVD??? If they don't care about it, why are you losing sleep over it???

if they really cared about, they would have researched it themselves..
Why? Because it shows that most of the people still dont give a rats ass about either of these formats and that is bad for HD in general. If that isnt something for people on here to concern themselves with then I have no clue what would be. This is an extrmly imporant topic to everyone in here because if HDcontinues to be this unpopular its going to fail against SD DVD and downloading on demand videos end of story.

Last edited by HomeTheatreFreak; 06-02-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreFreak View Post
Well I have to admit I really thought that this uneducated phase would really begin to pass by now but I can clearly see that I was utterly wrong on this point. Dont get me wrong I have always said price was one of the most important factors, I just dont think I really realized how important price was until now. This only makes me respect Toshibas overall approach to HD DVD that much more impressive.

So I really have to agree with you and say that overall specs mean nothing, exclusive studio support not nearly as important as some are making it out to be. Its about price and what is on the shelf. Everything else is so far from these people's minds that it almost becomes irrelavant.
Most people are clueless when it comes to technology, it will always be like this.

It's sad, but it's those clueless people who will decide this war, that's why movies, studio support, tech specs, mean jack. When the clueless mass of people like a price they see, they will buy, it's that simple.

Hell, IMO most people are just NOW getting the gist of what DVDs do with their audio/video systems.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post
Most people are clueless

Hell, IMO most people are just NOW getting the gist of what DVDs do with their audio/video systems.
LOL, now that truely would be very very sad but I am not sure I disagree with that one either. I still think that the odds of HD ever beating SD are very very slim. Most people are content with what SD DVD gives them and its a format that has become so cheap it borders on crazy and it has a library of films so large that its mind boggling. You have to give people a pretty big reason to trade that for something else and fact is right now HD just doesnt do that. When it gets down farther in price, both players and films, that could change but right now SD DVD is still an utter powerhouse of a format and HD vs SD is looking more and more like David vs Goliath x10.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:38 PM

I think the only thing that will help the public "see the light" as it were, is as HD programming becomes more standard in people's homes...not just HDTVs, but HD satellite and cable...even my MOTHER can see the difference between HD programming and standard programming. Once you get used to watching HD channels, it gets hard to go back because you see the lower quality.

I think that more and more HD channels will be helpful in getting people wanting to see their movies that way too. I know one of my friends with an HDTV, who thinks she is watching everything in HD...the picture looks like crap...she has a 65" HDTV with an ordinary $30 DVD player hooked into it with the composite yellow cable...it is pixellating and fuzzing everywhere, but she thinks it is HD. Until you show people the difference and get them used to seeing it, they are content with what they have...