Microsoft = HD Format War's "Chancellor Palpatine" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-02-2007, 03:48 AM
Banned

Default Microsoft = HD Format War's "Chancellor Palpatine"

Microsoft is almost single-handedly keeping HD DVD afloat with its cost subsidizing of Toshiba hardware and undeniable influence on Universal.

MS doesn't really stand to benefit a whole lot from HD DVD winning the war, but they DO stand to benefit from both formats losing because that would allow the easy proliferation of HD movie downloading, and with almost all HD DVDs already being encoded in VC-1 they can easily be plopped up on MS's inevitable online movie downloading store. Oh yeah and those VC-1 encodes would have a tough time getting on iTunes as well .

MS is merely doing its part to inhibit the Blu-Ray format from winning easily and imo they are using their money to force this format war into a stalemate.

MS is playing HD DVD just like Palpatine played the Trade Federation and seperatists in the Star Wars prequels, and you guys know how they ended up.

I don't know about you guys but my HD movie collection that I have up to this point is already at about 5 terabytes. Looking at the XBL video marketplace, MS doesn't want you to own movies, but merely pay for downloads that will expire after a period of time. Do you guys really want that? If so, keep supporting HD-DVD.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
I don't know about you guys but my HD movie collection that I have up to this point is already at about 5 terabytes. Looking at the XBL video marketplace, MS doesn't want you to own movies, but merely pay for downloads that will expire after a period of time. Do you guys really want that? If so, keep supporting HD-DVD.
This post is just a tad silly...can Microsoft stop everyone from releasing anything on DVD too? Real life isn't Star Wars, either.

Even if your reasoning is correct, your call to arms can easily be pointed in both directions.

Quote:
I don't know about you guys but my HD movie collection that I have up to this point is already at about 5 terabytes. Looking at the XBL video marketplace, MS doesn't want you to own movies, but merely pay for downloads that will expire after a period of time. Do you guys really want that? If so, keep supporting Blu-Ray.
See how that makes just as much sense? Your posts need to make your point, not your opponents' point also...
Old 06-02-2007, 04:03 AM

Old 06-02-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
This post is just a tad silly...can Microsoft stop everyone from releasing anything on DVD too? Real life isn't Star Wars, either.

Even if your reasoning is correct, your call to arms can easily be pointed in both directions.

See how that makes just as much sense? Your posts need to make your point, not your opponents' point also...
This answer is gold.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post

Gold, sir. Gold I tell you.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:12 AM

Toshiba doesn't need any help to keep prices low,they just had a 1.2 billion$ profiting fiscal year(better than sony).

Microsoft is actually doing almost nothing in this format war,the way i see it.Hell the add-on is still 199$!!If Microsoft was to enter this war "full force",things would get ugly for sony.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
My whole point was that HD DVD's biggest "supporter" has very Machiavellian intentions. Without MS's help, HD-DVD would have failed long ago. The BDA however is genuinely working to make BD the future primary movie viewing format.

And don't predictably change my quote and put Sony in the place of MS and BD in HD DVD's place expecting a "touche". Sony is putting money into a format Sony helped create. MS has ulterior motives for supporting TOSHIBA'S HD DVD format.

Last edited by polyh3dron; 06-02-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcizombie View Post
Toshiba doesn't need any help to keep prices low,they just had a 1.2 billion$ profiting fiscal year(better than sony).

Microsoft is actually doing almost nothing in this format war,the way i see it.Hell the add-on is still 199$!!If Microsoft was to enter this war "full force",things would get ugly for sony.
In response to your first point, total cash in hand and one good fiscal year are two different things.. go check to see how much cash in hand both Sony and Toshiba have. I assure you they are not in the same league, even with Sony's recent woes. Also keep in mind that Sony isn't the only member of the BDA or the only company that makes BD players. HD DVD however is Toshiba and MS against the world.

You are correct about your second point. MS is actually doing almost nothing in this format war compared to what they would be doing if their intentions were noble. They are doing just enough to undermine BD and keep HD DVD in the game. Like I said, I don't think they are doing this to make HD DVD win.

Last edited by polyh3dron; 06-02-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
You are correct about your second point. MS is actually doing almost nothing in this format war compared to what they would be doing if their intentions were noble. They are doing just enough to undermine BD and keep HD DVD in the game. Like I said, I don't think they are doing this to make HD DVD win.
Microsoft could have given HD DVD a huge boost by integrating an HD DVD drive into the 360 elite. But instead the biggest upgrade that the elite has is its hard drive capacity to store all those downloaded movies. They are after all a software company at heart and they care about VC-1 more than anything. Microsoft is even playing both sides of the war somewhat(Palpatine?), they make royalties off of Blu-ray movies that use VC-1.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:41 AM

Ive been saying this all along.
Yes it is a tad bit silly,but Microsoft is an evil major corporation who wants its hands in everything from technology to medicine,they even own sports teams.
They defantly have a HUGE effect on this war because Microsoft is one of the biggest companies in the world and there backing HD DVD which only has one major studio supporter=Universal.
Sorry to say but Universal isnt more powerful then Sony,Disney,Fox and Lionsgate combined,the only company that is would be Microsoft.
Point being,Microsoft hates Sony,and vice versa im sure.Microsoft is pulling all the strings here and if it was up to them everything would be download.