Do Studios have faith in High Definition? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-31-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Do Studios have faith in High Definition?

Nobody needs to be blind to find out that lately all studios are not willing to releases their jewels.
I am talking abut Blu Ray exclusive studios, Universal and also Paramount and Warner.
Is this an indicator that the market is already saturated of movies and not enough buyers or it only means that they want to first taste the waters before coming aboard with some great titles again?

There might be a chance that Summer time is not the best time of the year also to stay at home and get fat in from of the TV set.

These week all studios have been announcing some titles that are kind of boring ( some exceptions can be found)
Old 05-31-2007, 04:23 PM

The answer is no. Greed is over-riding any faith they might have.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:31 PM

Very good question Divian. I think that both formats have been well supported by the studios up to this point. Like DVD before it, they are focusing on day and date releases with a mixture of recent blockbuster films. As with DVD I suspect they will hold off releasing some of their huge catalog titles (although The Matrix is a good sign). I think the format war is also scaring some of the studios, and I think they are waiting to see what happens over the next 6-12 months before committing too much.

I think we should see some major titles being released in 2008 (LOTR?, Aliens?, some of the Disney classics? Galdiator?, etc) and hopefully Star Wars in late 2008 or early 2009 along with the James Bond movies. As evidenced by the Nielsen numbers we have seem, the market is still very immature and the sales are just not there yet to support releasing tons of catalog titles.

Hopefully we will see a huge influx of titles for the holiday season.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:48 PM

I think that the holiday season will be the real 'put up or shut up' time for all the studios.

The BD specs will (presumably) be complete, so theoretically there should be no holdout studios due to this.

I hear that there are rumblings in Camp Blu-ray that there will be big titles coming and Universal sound pretty confident in their slate so we'll just have to see what comes our way.

If we don't get at least one or two of the crown jewels from all studios then I suppose the answer will speak for itself.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
Nobody needs to be blind to find out that lately all studios are not willing to releases their jewels.
It's the way it always is. The early days of a format are driven by new releases and mid-tier catalogue titles.

VHS was exactly the same, DVD was a model of this too.

Lets look at the evidence:
DVD format launched in 1997.

Alien released 1999
Jaws released in June 2000
Jurassic Park released Sept 2000
Indiana Jones released October 2003
Star Wars Trilogy released Nov 2004

The classics will trickle out.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM

For those of you that haven't been an early adopter before, this is the natural progression of movie releases in a new format. Universal is not really following that trend. If you look at Universal's top ten movies of all-time, you will see that most of those are already out on HD DVD.

The other studios have been the following past business model for new format adoption (especially the BDA). This is how you maximize profits. People will buy less popular titles to support the format. Plus it is a chance to discover a good film that you missed out on do to the sheer volume of titles released in the reigning format.

Studios believe this maybe the last hoorah. These 1080p encodes are so close to the Master that there is very little to improve on PQ wise and no improvement to AQ. That is why security is so important to studios like Fox (and that's why BD exclusive studios won't produce on HD DVD unless they have no choice). One studio believes that HD optical will never make it past niche market status.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:58 PM

BTW, I believe Aliens will come out this year. I got that from an insider.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
BTW, I believe Aliens will come out this year. I got that from an insider.
Which is a bit odd as it is the worst-looking Alien movie. It looked fairly poor when I saw it in a cinema in 1986 and still looked fairly grubby on DVD.

Alien is the one I'm waiting for.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 PM

How much the believe in one format would be measured by what they have to do to release onthe format.
For blu-ray they have to get a new disk production line they have to encode movies them selves
For hd-dvd MS does the encode for them (VC-1) and hd-dvd can be ran on the same production lines
Old 05-31-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan View Post
How much the believe in one format would be measured by what they have to do to release onthe format.
For blu-ray they have to get a new disk production line they have to encode movies them selves
For hd-dvd MS does the encode for them (VC-1) and hd-dvd can be ran on the same production lines
Actually, those lines had to go through an expensive refitting for HD DVD production. That is why production costs are comparable if you look up recent information on the subject matter (especially considering a single layer BD is only 5GB less space than a dual layer 30GB HD DVD).

BTW, Sony gets more royalties from VC-1 than MS.