The Death of BD? - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Default The Death of BD?

Note; this is merely an observation. Feel free to disagree in any way.

In regards to this announcement.

http://gizmodo.com/5274395/xbox-live...shock-and-more

Today, This announcement right here, this is why MS has ignored Bluray. In a couple of years, and certainly for next gen, disc media won't matter as much. I'm sure it will still be there for people that want physical discs (for what reason, I can't be sure, Steam has disproven all the fears about not having physical discs), but I see the majority quickly moving towards digital media.

But anyway, from the larger picture, MS was wise to not push too hard to get bluray integration into the 360, even as an addon. The argument about DVD-9s being too small for newer games has lot a lot of Steam with this new service.

This is the death knell for bluray. It already wasn't doing as well as hoped, but this makes it even less important.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 PM

So how many of these games are going to fit on my 20gb hdd? Not to mention the fact that I would rather have discs. Plus, it's easier to take a disc to a friends house than a hard drive.

Oh, one last thing. With download caps being imposed, how many games could you download a month before hitting the cap? Even if you didn't have a cap, you would have to wait days for the full download, speeds today are too slow.

Hopefully they don't completely do away with discs.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM

I had to check for a moment to make sure I wasn't in the game forum. Now that I know I'm not...who cares? I buy Blu-ray for movies.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM

This totally means the death of Blu-ray. Good call, OP.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
For instant 1080p video streaming you need an 8Mbps downstream connection—that's a pretty fat pipe in most of the country, so it seems kinda limited to competitive cable markets, where competition has pushed up the speed of available internet access. Which I'm sure Big Cable loves. The video format uses Microsoft's own codecs and a lot of the cloud work they've been doing, says Marc.
http://gizmodo.com/5274447/xbox-live...-fast-internet

What percentage of the population has 8Mbps internet or faster?

What percentage of those people own an Xbox?

Or conversely, of the 30M Xbox's MS has claimed to have sold, how many people have 8Mbps and faster internet?

If you think this will be the death of any disc, you are about 10 years to early.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Uh OK. Xbox 360 games that fit on 9GB DVDs can now be downloaded directly from Microsoft with a credit card. Even if multiple discs most Blu-ray movies are on 50GB Blu-ray discs and Xbox and Xbox 360 games are on 9GB DVDs.

Downloading for PS3s is not killing Blu-ray movies yet either.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:55 PM

This is pretty cool news for folks with xbox 360s, but also for other downloaders as well (be they using downloads as rental, tv, or the rare ownership replacement). That fact that they recognize the need to match the IQ of BR and moved to get closer to it. Great. To do so is testament to how the download sector can operate, adapting to the marketplace like Vudu did with HDX.

The death of BR ownership? Nope. Not even close.
More BR-like experience deliverable via downloads? Yep.
Is this important to BR's future? Probably.

It's likely moves like this will take fledgling downloads closer and closer to the disc experience. How BR does in the long run and if it proves capable of saving the home entertainment marketplace in the next 2-3 years may depend on how these new technologies play out. Fact is, this is small stuff right now with lots of potential. That could become significant or could easily evaporate.

What lots of BR zealous don't realize with this stuff is... digital delivery of product changes the game and growth curve. You no longer need to push out product to retailers, who wait for product demand to appear... all the product is available for all demand. Where it will take half a decade for BR to reach stride and make up for the corrections in the sell through market for the studios... it could take half that long for this download stuff to go from pittance to player.

This stuff is definitely growing, but the numbers are still too small to get excited about it.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:55 PM

how in the world has streaming put to rest all the fears about not having to have a physical disc when it has been shown definitively to be WORSE than bd?
I mean what the fuck are you trying to say?
steaming is fine, but if you want the best quality--
well every person here knows what you have to get.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Yeah, this is going to be the death of Blu-ray.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 PM

Can someone explain to what Xbox getting a streamed video game has to do with Bluray????????
Closed Thread