HD DVDs have a max rez of 720p vs Blu-rays 1080p..... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM

Default HD DVDs have a max rez of 720p vs Blu-rays 1080p.....

......according to Blockbuster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the following was reposted from blockbuster FAQs

HD: "'high definition digital versatile disks". This new, high-capacity format is capable of playing and storing high-definition images--up to five times the amount of data and detail that can be stored on a standard DVD. This means HD discs feature higher definition video and audio, as well as advanced interactive features. As soon as high definition movies are released, BLOCKBUSTER will make them available to our subscribers. The very first HD DVDs were available on our site April 18, 2006.

Blu-RayTM: the highest of the HD resolutions. Its new, high-capacity format is capable of playing and storing high-definition images up to five times the amount of data and detail that can be stored on a standard DVD. This means Blu-rayTM DVDs feature higher definition video and audio, as well as advanced interactive features.

note how Blu-ray is the Highest of HD resolutions? Well maybe that's just bad wording, or just an honest mistake. Or maybe not. Read further.....

http://blockbuster3.custhelp.com/cgi...hp?p_faqid=664
FAQ question:
Why are Blu-ray DVDs better than standard DVDs?

FAQ Answer:
They're better because of their capacity to store more data--specifically, the data needed for high-resolution video. HD pictures are more crisp, rich and realistic than those delivered on standard DVDs. Achieving this level of detail isn't possible on a standard DVD, which has a resolution of only 480p (or 480 lines). HD DVDs have resolution of 720p. And Blu-rayTM DVDs reproduce images at a resolution of 1080p, therefore producing the most breathtaking, vivid images available for home entertainment today. Another plus to a Blu-rayTM DVD's additional storage space is having room for significantly more content and special features. While standard movie DVDs often include extra features like director's commentary and behind-the-scenes footage, Blu-rayTM DVDs can add another, interactive dimension. For example, special effects artists can describe advanced computer animation while the movie plays in the background.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
......according to Blockbuster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the following was reposted from blockbuster FAQs

HD: "'high definition digital versatile disks". This new, high-capacity format is capable of playing and storing high-definition images--up to five times the amount of data and detail that can be stored on a standard DVD. This means HD discs feature higher definition video and audio, as well as advanced interactive features. As soon as high definition movies are released, BLOCKBUSTER will make them available to our subscribers. The very first HD DVDs were available on our site April 18, 2006.

Blu-RayTM: the highest of the HD resolutions. Its new, high-capacity format is capable of playing and storing high-definition images up to five times the amount of data and detail that can be stored on a standard DVD. This means Blu-rayTM DVDs feature higher definition video and audio, as well as advanced interactive features.

note how Blu-ray is the Highest of HD resolutions? Well maybe that's just bad wording, or just an honest mistake. Or maybe not. Read further.....

http://blockbuster3.custhelp.com/cgi...hp?p_faqid=664
FAQ question:
Why are Blu-ray DVDs better than standard DVDs?

FAQ Answer:
They're better because of their capacity to store more data--specifically, the data needed for high-resolution video. HD pictures are more crisp, rich and realistic than those delivered on standard DVDs. Achieving this level of detail isn't possible on a standard DVD, which has a resolution of only 480p (or 480 lines). HD DVDs have resolution of 720p. And Blu-rayTM DVDs reproduce images at a resolution of 1080p, therefore producing the most breathtaking, vivid images available for home entertainment today. Another plus to a Blu-rayTM DVD's additional storage space is having room for significantly more content and special features. While standard movie DVDs often include extra features like director's commentary and behind-the-scenes footage, Blu-rayTM DVDs can add another, interactive dimension. For example, special effects artists can describe advanced computer animation while the movie plays in the background.
You do know that HD DVD has 1080p players out there and their movies are authored in 1080p as well, right? Do you really believe Blockbuster?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
You do know that HD DVD has 1080p players out there and their movies are authored in 1080p as well, right? Do you really believe Blockbuster?
Obviously he doesn't beleive blockbuster he's just pointing out their error.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:24 PM

Did we really need a whole thread on this.. This thread is going to get ugly...
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Did we really need a whole thread on this.. This thread is going to get ugly...
just imagine what fun the HD DVD boys would have if they list BR as 720p...
Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 PM

It happens. I saw a add for Circuit City on the internet and there was a link to explain the difference between 720i and 1080p. I didn't actually click on the link but I laughed when I saw it.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
It happens. I saw a add for Circuit City on the internet and there was a link to explain the difference between 720i and 1080p. I didn't actually click on the link but I laughed when I saw it.
The sad thing is that this is probably straight out of their employee training manual
Old 05-30-2007, 04:48 PM

I know we should just let this rest, but....

"While standard movie DVDs often include extra features like director's commentary and behind-the-scenes footage, Blu-rayTM DVDs can add another, interactive dimension. For example, special effects artists can describe advanced computer animation while the movie plays in the background."

I thought it was HD-DVD that was doing this here and now while BD hadn't figured out a standard for implementing this yet? I guess I can't believe what I see on my own TV anymore. That U-Control stuff must have been all in my head. and insurance ticker on Tokyo drift must have been due to alcohol consumption.

Last edited by sinime; 05-30-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The sad thing is that this is probably straight out of their employee training manual
Agreed. CC probably has one of the worst HD media sections period. In most stores they don't even seperate HD DVD/BD from their DVD's (and their employees really don't know the difference between dvd and hd formats...and it's their full-time job).
Old 05-30-2007, 05:29 PM

I wonder if their is in fact some official literature out there that says this, b/c at one point Best Buy was advertising HD-DVDs as 720p and Blur-ray as 1080p as well. I did email Blockbuster and will let you know their response.