Do you guys really want to see Pirates with a lower bitrate?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 PM

Unhappy Do you guys really want to see Pirates with a lower bitrate??

i'm asking fans of the "superior" HD format known as HDDVD. are you willing to sacrifice a little PQ in not just this movie, but many future releases?

do you also not care about having better scratch protection? how about having the space to fit more shows on a single disc? or possibly the ability to use the much more compatible (and higher rated) uncompressed PCM soundtrack?

sure, you've got iHD right now, but Blu-ray Java will be available this year.

is it really worth it to save a few bucks now (because the Blu-ray prices will certainly drop).

just curious.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

OMG, I'm pretty sure Pirates would look just fine on HD DVD. I thought both Pirates movies were overrated by people on the forums, I found them to be only decent transfers with some occasionally stunning scenes. I prefer King Kong, Dreamgirls, and Chicken Little as better demo material, and they are actually good movies too.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 PM

i'm very happy with how high-def movies look right now i really can't see it getting any better, well enough for me to notice. this high def thing is the last time i'm gonna be an early adaptor of. i think i won't notice what i'm missing if PotC goes, if ever, to HD DVD.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xfan View Post
i'm asking fans of the "superior" HD format known as HDDVD. are you willing to sacrifice a little PQ in not just this movie, but many future releases?

do you also not care about having better scratch protection? how about having the space to fit more shows on a single disc? or possibly the ability to use the much more compatible (and higher rated) uncompressed PCM soundtrack?

is it really worth it to save a few bucks now (because the Blu-ray prices will certainly drop).

just curious.
Of course..this is all according to you.
Do you think you are dealing with a bunch of newbies here?
Regarding the title of your thread. I do not even care about Pirates of the Caribbean 1, 2 ,3 ,4, 5 , 6. I already had enough by renting the first one and getting bored to death with half of the second movie.

Last edited by divian; 05-29-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:

just curious.

1) The bitrate difference is not going to make any practical difference in PQ 30.24 Mbit/s is plenty and reviews at this site are proof of that.

2) HD DVD does not need extra scratch protection like Blu-ray. Nobody goes around rubbing their HD DVD's against barbed wire. Planet Earth was 4 disc for Blu-Ray and HD DVD so what happpened with the extra space ... multiple disc set are not going to disappear for marketing reason. If you believe otherwise you are dreaming.

3) Contrary to the misinformation that Blu-ray supporters like to throw around, there is lossless audio capability in HD DVD's spec. True HD is great.

So in short... you don't sacrifice anything with HD DVD... and no matter what anybody says I still think HD DVD looks better than Blu-Ray, and that the only opinion that counts for me.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Have you seen HD-DVD? Because this question is proof that you probably haven't. Even if the bit rate were dropped, the movie would still look amazing. WB put the Matrix movies on HD-DVD discs, and got 5-star ratings all around. I don't think picture quality is lacking on either format. As the releases continue to get better and better...the competition won't be in PQ. Even at a lower bitrate, HD-DVD still manages to blow viewers away...even people who are format neutral and enjoy Blu-Ray too.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:

just curious.
So by "just curious" you actually mean, I'm being a sarcastic ass by wording everything to make it sound like the movie would be total crap on HD DVD?

Flags of Our Fathers received a 5/5 in PQ here, despite its inferior VC-1 encoding. DVDTOWN gave it a 10/10 and said it preferred the HD DVD disc over the BD one.

As for lossless PCM, there is this thing called True HD . . . which is not lower rated than lossless PCM, as you imply.

I don't know why this has to be explained time and time again: you cannot look at a VC-1 encode, see it has a lower bitrate than an AVC encode, and assume that difference in bitrates means much. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT ENCODES. There has not been one movie released on both formats where BD had a massive advantage due to its higher bitrate: Flags, Letters from Iwo Jima, Dreamgirls, The Departed - advantage to neither format for these titles.

The other points in your post expose you as someone who is definitely NOT interested in discussing the POTC movies. Different shows on one disc? Is POTC a TV series now? And ooooh, my HD DVDs are not bullet - I mean, scratch - proof. I guess that means I will actually have to take care of them.

So I'm just curious: are you actually interested in what some of us have to say? Doesn't seem like it to me.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:40 PM

If it means not having to read rediculous posts like yours anymore, HELL YES!

Just messin' with ya.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 PM

Seeing how HD-DVD has a lower storage copacity its amazing that 99% of our movies come out with all of the extras available on dvd and high def extras. How often can you say that with Blu-ray. The directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven was four disks with tons of features. How many of those made there way to the format that has already won. I now have 2 HD-DVD players and i most likely payed less than you did for your Blu-ray player. hell i probly paid less for my tv than your player.

Here's to betting on the PS3
Old 05-30-2007, 12:02 AM

Please let this inane thread die a quick death.