XSteamHD 1080p w/ Lossless 7.1 DTS-HD MA Satco Service Coming Soon? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Default XSteamHD 1080p w/ Lossless 7.1 DTS-HD MA Satco Service Coming Soon?

This has been discussed in the past and it looks like it actually may happen.

There is a demonstration planned at an upcoming satco trade show. Interesting thing is that XStreamHD will be housed in the DishNetwork booth. And is on AMC-16 which is a Dish satellite.

I thought it would be tough to finance something like this but it looks like they may have found some purse strings.

The claims are full 1080p with lossless 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio. And whole house distribution.

It reminds me of what I'm doing with Dish right now but at HD-Lite PQ/AQ levels.

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

XStreamHD™ Showcases Revolutionary Whole-Home HD
Entertainment Solution at the Satellite 2009 Show

Emerging leader continues to successfully test and advance the development of its groundbreaking technology

MCLEAN, VA – March 25, 2009 -- XStreamHD, an emerging leader in the delivery and distribution of Full 1080p HD entertainment direct to the home, via satellite, will be giving live demonstrations of the XStreamHD whole-home solution at the Echostar booth # 597 at the Satellite 2009 show. These demonstrations will feature content accessible through XStreamHD’s advanced graphical user interface (GUI).

The unique transport system, testing on the AMC-16 satellite at 85 degrees west longitude, enables XStreamHD to deliver Full HD movies, music, and games from the content providers directly to subscriber homes throughout North America in exactly the format that the content was meant to be viewed and listened to.

“We are the first provider of Blu-ray quality Full HD (1080p) video and up to 7.1 channels of lossless DTS-HD Master Audio™ unlocking existing FSS (Fixed Satellite Service) capacity,” said George Gonzalez, founder and CEO of XStreamHD. “Our advanced technology enables consumers to experience in studio master quality content, just as the studios intended for them to be enjoyed while enabling consumers the ability to utilize their home entertainment systems to their maximum capabilities.”

Recent tests of the XStreamHD unique transport system validates the ability of the network to deliver Full HD (1080p), Blu-ray quality video with up to 7.1 lossless channels of DTS-HD Master Audio™ directly to consumers’ homes. When fully rolled-out, XStreamHD will offer its customers unparalleled access to movies, HDTV, music and electronic games.

XStreamHD will be showcasing its unique transport system and consumer platform at the 2009 Satellite Show in Washington, DC at the Echostar Booth #597.

About XStreamHD

XStreamHD is leading the HD revolution, setting a new standard for the delivery and distribution of Full HD entertainment throughout the home. XStreamHD provides the first-ever transport network to deliver high-definition movies and music directly to the home via satellite – offering Full HD (1080p) video and up to 7.1 channels of lossless audio. With XStreamHD, consumers can build a customized, unique, and unparalleled in-home entertainment network and enjoy the content they want most—including movies, music, electronic games, broadcast HDTV, and more—when it’s most convenient, anywhere in the home, and at the quality today’s home theaters were
designed to support. XStreamHD is based in McLean, Virginia.

For more information, please visit www.XStreamHD.com.
XSteamHD is here: XStreamHD
Old 03-25-2009, 06:47 PM

Hopefully more info will come out at the show in terms of:
- Where this will be rolled out through (are the partnering with Dish?)
- When this will be rolled out
- What hardware you will need and what cost the hardware will be
- What will the cost of software be

I suspect this is not going to be cheap...
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 PM

I'm curious what bandwidth they're going to use and how much its going to cost, but otherwise... I'm in!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
I'm curious what bandwidth they're going to use and how much its going to cost, but otherwise... I'm in!
Looks like up to 80 MBPS:

http://www.xstreamhd.com/pdf/Receiver.pdf
Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Well, that's a good start. Lets hope that they actually use some of that potential and it is competitively priced and we could have a replacement for that particular HDMI port in this customer's AVR.

I'd love to not have to sacrifice quality when switching between packaged and broadcast HD. I doubt it will cut into my purchasing of packaged media (aka Blu-ray) any more than having digital cable slowed down my DVD habit 5 years ago, but it is a welcome and much needed upgrade for the poor excuse that cable and satellite providers are calling HD now.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
- What hardware you will need and what cost the hardware will be
- What will the cost of software be

I suspect this is not going to be cheap...
These are the two big questions. I haven't seen any hint at either of them, but if rental pricing is comparable to Vudu, this won't gain much traction.

On the other hand, if it's close to the rent-by-mail prices, they might have a chance. The other obstacle for them is that some people will not, under any conditions, allow a dish in their yard. That's in addition to those that may not have clear line-of-sight to the satellites.

I'd really like to see these guys succeed, but the odds are long.

Scott
Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Add one more question to the list:
1. What providers are on board and how many titles?

Honestly, from a videophile perspective, this may be the streaming service to beat and could be very competitive with Blu-Ray quality. I will be keeping my eyes open. But I fear that it will have a high price tag and won't make much sense compared to my current options.

Time will tell. They have been talking about this service for several years now but there has been little outside of just talk.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

There is a demonstration planned at an upcoming satco trade show. Interesting thing is that XStreamHD will be housed in the DishNetwork booth. And is on AMC-16 which is a Dish satellite.

I thought it would be tough to finance something like this but it looks like they may have found some purse strings.

The claims are full 1080p with lossless 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio. And whole house distribution.

It reminds me of what I'm doing with Dish right now but at HD-Lite PQ/AQ levels.

Now if they can just get in all the extras and deliver titles for less than the cost of Netflix they'll really have something there.

Anyone else wanna hold their breath with me?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:19 AM

I am curious about this as well, particularily since it's offering lossless audio. While i'd still collect, if the price were right, it could curtail renting BD's.

Last edited by davcole; 03-26-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

I want real details here, because I forwarded this to a few EE's I went to school with and they don't see this working for random VOD. There's just not enough bandwidth is the common retort.