"Benjamin Button" BD to have same price as SE DVD - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Grubert's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,340
Default "Benjamin Button" BD to have same price as SE DVD

Source: Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
Single-disc "Button" DVDs will sell for $29.99 in the U.S. and $36.99 in Canada. Two-disc DVD and Blu-ray sets will be priced at $39.99 in the U.S. and $45.99 in Canada.
If we look back, a recent example was Tropic Thunder: the single-disc DVD had a list price of $29.99, the 2-disc DVD was $36.99 and the BD was $39.99. So they are increasing the price of the special-edition DVD to align it with the Blu-ray.

Note: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did the same. Thanks to GizmoDVD for the correction.

Last edited by Grubert; 03-19-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
ack_bak's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,623
Default

Interesting. It looks like the studio want to see all those people who would normally buy the collectors edition DVD upgrade to Blu-Ray.

This could create a boom for lower cost Blu-Ray hardware later this year if more studios implement this strategy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,293
Default

Indiana Jones & Iron Man say's "Hi" (MSRP $39.99). As we told Fett, same MSRP does not mean the store will offer then both at the same discounted price. A store is likely to buy more copies of the DVD and get a better discount.

And you missed this:
Quote:
In addition to its single-disc packaging, "Button" will be available on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in two-disc Criterion Edition sets featuring more than three hours of special features. A documentary on the second disc follows the creative development of the literary adaptation and its many production challenges, including the elaborate, Oscar-winning visual effects.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Grubert's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
And you missed this:
I most certainly did not - it made me chuckle. Poorly written article, that's all. THR has fired all its competent staff by now.

Unfortunately, that note is the one being relayed on the wires.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Default

What did he miss? The fact that the second DVD in the Special Edition contains the same special features in the Blu disk?

The stores might come to the conclusion that by discounting BD's, buying in bulk as you say, they could sell players also. Just an opposing view but maybe?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Blu-News.com's Avatar
Always SpartanJohnson
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,543
Default

LOL... Special edition will still be cheaper in stores come release week.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Taffy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Interesting. It looks like the studio want to see all those people who would normally buy the collectors edition DVD upgrade to Blu-Ray.

This could create a boom for lower cost Blu-Ray hardware later this year if more studios implement this strategy.
boy....talk about a one track mind. How 'bout the studio just wanting to rake both BD and DVD buyers over the coals with this multi-award title. I liked "Benjamin..." but not enough to buy it at these prices. I don't think this title will sell well as its target is pretty much outside the PS3 demographic and DVD buyers are going to be scared off by the high prices. Good candidate for recording down the road, however.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
Good candidate for recording down the road, however.
boy....talk about a one track mind.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLSU View Post
What did he miss? The fact that the second DVD in the Special Edition contains the same special features in the Blu disk?

The stores might come to the conclusion that by discounting BD's, buying in bulk as you say, they could sell players also. Just an opposing view but maybe?
So you expect this title to be discounted more so then the 2 Disc SE DVD come release week at Best Buy? Fettastic made the same claim and wouldn't put his wallet where his mouth was.

The more copies a store buys the bigger discount they can offer. If they buy 500 DVD copies for each of their 2k stores vs 50 BD copies for each of their 2k stores which version do you think will get discounted more?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post
I most certainly did not - it made me chuckle. Poorly written article, that's all. THR has fired all its competent staff by now.

Unfortunately, that note is the one being relayed on the wires.
Ahh, ok. Its actually been a few titles (Indiana Jones, Iron Man and I think Narnia 2).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 58 04-16-2013 01:42 PM
Benjamin Button / May 5th Super-VHS Blu-ray Software General Discussion 94 05-22-2009 03:01 PM
FS/FT - Benjamin Button cooltobeyou Blu-ray Disc Exchange 8 05-22-2009 09:03 AM
Best Deal on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Blu? essential Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 43 05-08-2009 11:03 AM
My Benjamin Button Review ViewAskew117 Film Forum 15 01-25-2009 01:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off