"Benjamin Button" BD to have same price as SE DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Default "Benjamin Button" BD to have same price as SE DVD

Source: Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
Single-disc "Button" DVDs will sell for $29.99 in the U.S. and $36.99 in Canada. Two-disc DVD and Blu-ray sets will be priced at $39.99 in the U.S. and $45.99 in Canada.
If we look back, a recent example was Tropic Thunder: the single-disc DVD had a list price of $29.99, the 2-disc DVD was $36.99 and the BD was $39.99. So they are increasing the price of the special-edition DVD to align it with the Blu-ray.

Note: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did the same. Thanks to GizmoDVD for the correction.

Last edited by Grubert; 03-19-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Interesting. It looks like the studio want to see all those people who would normally buy the collectors edition DVD upgrade to Blu-Ray.

This could create a boom for lower cost Blu-Ray hardware later this year if more studios implement this strategy.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

Indiana Jones & Iron Man say's "Hi" (MSRP $39.99). As we told Fett, same MSRP does not mean the store will offer then both at the same discounted price. A store is likely to buy more copies of the DVD and get a better discount.

And you missed this:
Quote:
In addition to its single-disc packaging, "Button" will be available on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in two-disc Criterion Edition sets featuring more than three hours of special features. A documentary on the second disc follows the creative development of the literary adaptation and its many production challenges, including the elaborate, Oscar-winning visual effects.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
And you missed this:
I most certainly did not - it made me chuckle. Poorly written article, that's all. THR has fired all its competent staff by now.

Unfortunately, that note is the one being relayed on the wires.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 AM

What did he miss? The fact that the second DVD in the Special Edition contains the same special features in the Blu disk?

The stores might come to the conclusion that by discounting BD's, buying in bulk as you say, they could sell players also. Just an opposing view but maybe?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

LOL... Special edition will still be cheaper in stores come release week.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Interesting. It looks like the studio want to see all those people who would normally buy the collectors edition DVD upgrade to Blu-Ray.

This could create a boom for lower cost Blu-Ray hardware later this year if more studios implement this strategy.
boy....talk about a one track mind. How 'bout the studio just wanting to rake both BD and DVD buyers over the coals with this multi-award title. I liked "Benjamin..." but not enough to buy it at these prices. I don't think this title will sell well as its target is pretty much outside the PS3 demographic and DVD buyers are going to be scared off by the high prices. Good candidate for recording down the road, however.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
Good candidate for recording down the road, however.
boy....talk about a one track mind.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLSU View Post
What did he miss? The fact that the second DVD in the Special Edition contains the same special features in the Blu disk?

The stores might come to the conclusion that by discounting BD's, buying in bulk as you say, they could sell players also. Just an opposing view but maybe?
So you expect this title to be discounted more so then the 2 Disc SE DVD come release week at Best Buy? Fettastic made the same claim and wouldn't put his wallet where his mouth was.

The more copies a store buys the bigger discount they can offer. If they buy 500 DVD copies for each of their 2k stores vs 50 BD copies for each of their 2k stores which version do you think will get discounted more?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post
I most certainly did not - it made me chuckle. Poorly written article, that's all. THR has fired all its competent staff by now.

Unfortunately, that note is the one being relayed on the wires.
Ahh, ok. Its actually been a few titles (Indiana Jones, Iron Man and I think Narnia 2).