PoC Blu-ray customers denied "FREE" movie ticket by Best Buy and Buena Vista. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-23-2007, 01:34 PM

Default PoC Blu-ray customers denied "FREE" movie ticket by Best Buy and Buena Vista.

I went to Best Buy yesterday to buy at least Pirates Dead Man's Chest on Blu-ray. I ask the media employee if there is the same $10 savings as online when purchasing both Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest on Blu-ray.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at120700050016

He said yes there is. I then notice that there is one remaining copy of the Ultimate Matrix HD DVD. I can't resist it.

I walk to the cashier and notice there is a small stack of pamphlets that read:

So basically I am buying TWO Pirates movies on the more expensive format (even after saving $10) and I am NOT entitled to a "FREE" movie ticket??!! I was amazed and a little upset. Luckily, the cashier saw this and let me have a pamphlet thingy with the certificate inside it even though I did not technically "deserve" it.

I put quotes around "FREE" because the certificate is only good for an amount up to $7.00. That by the way, is not enough to get me into a post matinee movie where I live.

So what are your thoughts on this outrageous outrage?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Sucks, but you have to figure with DVD's they really need to move out their older stock, whereas they know people are going to buy PotC on blu-ray regardless. Also, if you're spending $29.99 per Pirates movie, maybe they figure you have 7 bucks to burn.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:05 PM

This makes zero sense.. Who is running the promotional advertising/programs for these companies!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
Also, if you're spending $29.99 per Pirates movie, maybe they figure you have 7 bucks to burn.
I paid $24.99 per movie because of the $10 off deal.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:37 PM

The terms of the promotion are clearly stated...

how is that so different from GM stating that pretty much all of their special pricing and finance offers are not valid on Corvettes??
Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamz View Post
The terms of the promotion are clearly stated...

how is that so different from GM stating that pretty much all of their special pricing and finance offers are not valid on Corvettes??
He's questioning the terms, not the result. The associate did the right thing for customer service, but it was stupid of Disney to not include the Blu-ray as part of the deal. That's bad service on Disney's part, good service at Best Buy.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
<snip>
I put quotes around "FREE" because the certificate is only good for an amount up to $7.00. That by the way, is not enough to get me into a post matinee movie where I live.
The way movie prices have gone up, that won't pay for an evening showing in Siberia any more. Matinee prices are actually getting up to that $7 mark now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
So what are your thoughts on this outrageous outrage?
Hey man, its Disney. They are one of the most infamous entities in the business world for their overall greed. Its actually why I could see them being the first studio to break format exclusivity.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:50 PM

I saw the movie this afternoon. Was pretty disappointing.

Chalk it up as the second highly touted bd blockbuster this year that pretty much blows.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
He's questioning the terms, not the result. The associate did the right thing for customer service, but it was stupid of Disney to not include the Blu-ray as part of the deal. That's bad service on Disney's part, good service at Best Buy.
Yes exactly. Thanks Aodh.

Best Buy corporate and Buena Vista = Not nice for excluding Blu-ray customers from this promotion.
Best Buy cashier = Nice for letting me have the movie certificate.

Last edited by MentokTheMindTaker; 05-23-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:00 PM

Sounds like everyone here forgets that companies make their decisions to generate profits...and on top of that, since when does corporate decision making have to make sense to anyone??? How about the MS decision to release the Elite for $479 with no wireless and no HD DVD? Why do cell phone and satellite TV providers give their best deals to new customers and dont do squat to retain their existing customers????

it is freakin' 7 dollar movie ticket for crying out loud...the promotion EXPLICITLY said Blu Ray is excluded...what point is there in whining about it??? it doesn't matter if you or I agree, but if you don't like it, then don't buy it or buy it somewhere else and please stop the whining...