Fox DVD creates two classes of discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Default Fox DVD creates two classes of discs

Looks like some are trying to promote buying over renting.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=20&cs=1

Quote:
Fox DVD creates two classes of discs
Product variations feed different consumers
By SUSANNE AULT

That's the hope of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, which has told its accounts that it plans to launch a DVD program that creates two classes of discs. One is a premium retail version that contains added-values such as digital copy; the second is a stripped-down version for rentals.

According to a letter sent by Fox senior VP of sales Don Jeffries and obtained by Video Business, the strategy starts with March 31 releases of "Marley and Me" and Best Picture Oscar winner "Slumdog Millionaire."

"Slumdog's" rental DVD, for instance, carries only the movie and trailers. The retail version also has special features including deleted scenes and commentaries. And while the rental Blu-ray does have the bonus features, only the retail Blu-ray adds digital copy.

The configurations vary by title. "Marley & Me," for example, has special features on both the retail and rental DVDs. The "Marley" Blu-ray also carries bonus features, but the retail Blu-ray is a combo pack with a DVD movie and digital copy.

Other titles initially covered by the new strategy are "Day the Earth Stood Still," due in stores April 7; "The Wrestler" and "Notorious" on April 21; and "Bride Wars" on April 28.

Fox confirmed the strategy in a statement, but did not provide details.

"We have developed product variations to feed different consumer consumption models and behaviors," the statement said. "For rental customers, we're delivering a theatrical experience in the home while promoting upcoming releases; for retail [or sell-through] customers, we're offering a premium product that expands the entertainment experience of that particular property to further enhance ownership."

Whatever Fox's intentions may be, its ability to enforce those terms is limited by the First Sale Doctrine, which gives retailers the right to rent any legally purchased copies. Rental stores, for example, can go to Wal-Mart and buy the premium versions, then rent them to consumers.

"There's no question that some rentailers will go and buy from Wal-Mart and rent out the copies, and you can't stop that," said Ted Engen, president of 1,800 store cooperative Video Buyers Group. "But it's not going to be that big of an issue as people think. The main thing is that studios have to add value to get customers to buy and they aren't buying. Numbers have been falling through the floor."

Susanne Ault is a senior reporter at Variety sister publication Video Business.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:13 PM

They need to offer the striped down version for sale at a lower price point. That is what a lot of us have been asking for.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Banned

Honestly I don't know why they didn't do this years ago. It only makes sense. People who rent generally don't care about features anyway.

Most rental establishments just store that second disc until they try to sell it at present so it really serves no purpose to them.

Because all the features are generally on the BD disc (except digital copy of course), this might also aid BD adoption for those that do care.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Default 1 disc vs. 2 disc versions of dvd's?

Isn't this an extension and modification of the titles we see from studios which offer both a single and double disc retail version, with the 2nd disc containing the extras - at a higher price, of course?
Is Fox just trying to force people to purchase the higher priced double disc versions of their titles by restricting lower priced single disc versions to rental business customers? Why would anyone include a digital copy disc with a rental dvd anyway? Although this has the potential of raising the average retail price paid for a release, doesn't it also have the potential to drive down volume even further as folks opt to rent rather than buy a higher priced double disc release?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Isn't this an extension and modification of the titles we see from studios which offer both a single and double disc retail version, with the 2nd disc containing the extras - at a higher price, of course?
Is Fox just trying to force people to purchase the higher priced double disc versions of their titles by restricting lower priced single disc versions to rental business customers? Why would anyone include a digital copy disc with a rental dvd anyway? Although this has the potential of raising the average retail price paid for a release, doesn't it also have the potential to drive down volume even further as folks opt to rent rather than buy a higher priced double disc release?
Apparently digital copy is a really successful venture. I personally don't understand why but that's neither here nor there. It's a waste to include them for rentals. So why do it?

Studios poured features onto DVD mostly to grab customers away from VHS. We're way past that point now of course and they have to re-evaulate why they are adding so many features. Seems like they are coming to the logical conclusion to use features as a means to get people to buy instead of rent, at least people that care about such things.

If you don't like features, or don't want to pay for features, rent. Or wait for rental outlets to sell their stock. I'm sure these stripped-down versions will find their way to people who diligently want to seek them out anyway, this plan is just for j6p.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM

I think this is smart, why sell something to a rental place that no one will ever use.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Reminds me a little of the time Fox than know as CBS/Fox Home Video used to produce Vhs and Beta rental only copies to retail outlets months before they released sale copy versions.
That didn't last for long, I think they did it for about a year.

Though This is different, just reminded me of that time.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MID SOUTH View Post
They need to offer the striped down version for sale at a lower price point. That is what a lot of us have been asking for.
+1 no kidding! Just give the damn movie!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post
Most rental establishments just store that second disc until they try to sell it at present so it really serves no purpose to them.
Which is why the concern about rental stores choosing to purchase discs at Wal-Mart makes no sense to me. Why would rental stores purchase bonus discs they cant rent?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 PM

They rent the bonus discs. Netflix has always had the bonus discs for rental. When I used to rent discs i would rent the bonus disc along with some of the movie.