Kornblau: HD DVD lined Uni's pockets - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Kornblau: HD DVD lined Uni's pockets

This is an older topic, but it seems ripe for Smackdown or perhaps some minor grumbling.

This particular line is from of an article from the Hollywood Reporter. From Uni's Kornblau fights Redbox's $1 DVD rentals on THR.com --

Quote:
Popular or not, dollar rentals hurt studios, according to Kornblau, a quiet man with strong opinions who still insists backing HD DVD was the right thing to do as it lined Universal coffers with promo money from format proponents. His opposition to dollar rentals is based on the belief the trend will diminish studios' revenue from DVD sales and rentals.

Kornblau contends that DVD sales will decline if the spread between a consumer's cost to rent or buy DVDs becomes too great. More directly, a broadly downward trend in rental pricing would cut into the majors' rental revenue because studios are usually paid through revenue-sharing arrangements with traditional retailers.
Here's a link to the full story:
Uni's Kornblau fights Redbox's $1 DVD rentals
Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM

yeah and Sony lined everybody's pocket and Blu's are still too high in price.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post
Link?

Kornblau admitted Uni got bribed by Toshiba/MS. It would be nice to know how much they got for each contract - and how long those contracts lasted.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Kornblau admitted Uni got bribed by Toshiba/MS. It would be nice to know how much they got for each contract - and how long those contracts lasted.
Well bribe is a strong word. But, ultimately, yes they received incentive and maybe money for their support based on that. And really, as such, it's hard to really say Universal played this wrong. Good for them. They got money out of HD DVD, more than they would have out of Blu-ray during that time period...and they're doing Blu-ray now.

As for whether Blu-ray studios got anything out of their support...well it's not hard to believe they did. Why not, studios get incentives to order in volume, why wouldn't they for something like this? Granted, I think it unwise to think any studio made their decisions solely based on a bribe, without any thought to things otherwise.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowhite View Post
Well bribe is a strong word. But, ultimately, yes they received incentive and maybe money for their support based on that. And really, as such, it's hard to really say Universal played this wrong. Good for them. They got money out of HD DVD, more than they would have out of Blu-ray during that time period...and they're doing Blu-ray now.

As for whether Blu-ray studios got anything out of their support...well it's not hard to believe they did. Why not, studios get incentives to order in volume, why wouldn't they for something like this? Granted, I think it unwise to think any studio made their decisions solely based on a bribe, without any thought to things otherwise.
Yeah, I know "bribe" is a strong word. I'm hoping Mikey or Lee see it.

I had heard that Uni went with HD DVD mostly because of a feud with Sony Pictures. So, my guess is that the HD people made a better offer to them than the Blu people. If that was true, then it's no surprise Uni went with the higher offer.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Yeah, I know "bribe" is a strong word. I'm hoping Mikey or Lee see it.

I had heard that Uni went with HD DVD mostly because of a feud with Sony Pictures. So, my guess is that the HD people made a better offer to them than the Blu people. If that was true, then it's no surprise Uni went with the higher offer.
Some of that is true. Its apparently because of what happened on UMD (yeah, seriously).
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Some of that is true. Its apparently because of what happened on UMD (yeah, seriously).
Interesting. Can you elaborate?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Proof?

We have proof that HD DVD 'bribed' studios for their support.
All you have is accusations.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Sweet, it should be easy for you to provide some proof then. Link?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post
Sweet, it should be easy for you to provide some proof then. Link?
Of course he doesn't have one. But, it's kind of funny that some people have this strange belief that HD DVD software was somehow cheaper, or was going to be cheaper...than Blu-ray software.